What's new

Does it pay off to build big?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I've thought about making this thread for a while, but decided to wait until the most appropriate day of them all: When Six Flags make their announcements.

As you may have noticed, Six Flags have built up a reputation in recent years for investing small and buying identical attractions in bulk. The newly announced Batman The Ride at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom will be the seventh identical S&S Free Spin the chain has built since 2015. Other introductions this year (and previous years) include Larson Loops, Zamperla Discoveries, conversions of existing coasters, and Tourbillion flat rides. Small, budget-friendly additions, off-the-shelf models that could easily fit into any of their parks. Why pay to design unique rides for every park, when you can do the engineering once and manufacture seven coasters off the same blueprints?

This is a pretty stark contrast to Six Flags' earlier approach during the so-called "Coaster wars" just after the turn of the millennium. Six Flags built huge coasters in all of their parks, usually breaking multiple world records every year. Huge rides such as Tatsu, Riddler's Revenge, El Toro, Superman: Ride of Steel and Kingda Ka popped up within a couple of years. When rides were cloned back then, it was mighty rides like the five-inversion Batman clones, the towering Giant Inverted Boomerangs, or the Medusa floorless coasters.

Of course, that practice wasn't sustainable, and Six Flags crashed pretty hard after the 2006 season. Since then, they've stuck to small additions, and the coasters they build tend to stay below 30 m (100 ft) in height. Just to give an example, the four coasters built in 2006 (Tatsu, El Toro, SFOG Goliath and La Ronde Goliath) are all taller than any coasters built across the entire chain since. At the flagship park, Six Flags Magic Mountain, only one of the eight tallest or fastest coasters has been built in the last decade. The biggest additions to Six Flags parks in recent years have involved re-designing existing coasters, the exception being SFGAm which got an RMC built from the ground up instead.

But the thing is... Six Flags is still making money. More than ever, actually. They're clawing their way out of the bankruptcy their previous strategy put them into. Their new rides are small and cloned, but attendance is up and revenues soaring. In fairness, sometimes, unique rides are being built in Six Flags parks, but they are usually noticeably smaller than existing coasters in the same parks (except SFGAm, apparently). It's almost as the question has to be asked: Why bother with huge coasters?

This obviously isn't unique to Six Flags. I constantly lament Parques Reunidos and their strategy to not build anything unless they have to, and then only the bare minimum. Same goes for Merlin, whose new coasters in recent years have been slight variations on stock models. But they too are making nice profits. And it seems like, as long as something new is presented at parks and marketed correctly, crowds will be drawn in. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is unique, or breaking a record, or otherwise massively big. A new addition is given a background story and some bells and whistles, suddenly a 25-meter tall GCI woodie is the most exciting thing ever to happen in the park, and guests flock to it like they would have if the coaster was 70 meters tall and cost five times as much money.

Do you agree? Does a 50-meter coaster have a significantly higher impact on a park's visitor numbers than a 30-meter coaster at half the cost? Is there a trend towards smaller coasters being built in the future, or are those aging giants still the majority of the reason to visit the park? I'm not talking about your opinion on these coasters, but whether you think it's a better financial move to build small and hype it up, rather than building big and impressing the crowds with stats alone. Because to me, it seems like the park get the same bang for less than half the bucks if only they do their marketing correctly.

Snoo

The Legend
I'd say yes and no.

Everything depends on your ride lineup and what a big coaster can do to really solidify your lineup. Paramount parks are prime examples of that as Canadas Wonderland, Carowinds, and Kings Island were a cornucopia of Arrow and Vekoma rides before they brought in B&M and started building big. Now all three of those parks not only have signature attractions for their park but pulls that help keep people coming back for more.

While I do think you NEED to build smaller, more unique attractions more often then giant ones, having a "star" if you don't have one can really change the skyline of what you're trying to build long term.

Snoo

The Legend
This train of thought doesn't bode well for a coaster breaking the length record, which I REALLY want to be broken

Yeah but breaking the BIG records aren't business intelligent anymore tbh. Unless you have a good reason to, as well as money, it makes it enormously tough burden for a park to take on simply for a 'record' that is superficial at best.

James F

Hyper Poster
While playing it safe with small investments works for the majority, once every park has bought the same type of ride/coaster they need something to stand out, which usually means going big.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
While playing it safe with small investments works for the majority, once every park has bought the same type of ride/coaster they need something to stand out, which usually means going big.

Or going for something unique. Perhaps a cheap gimmick coaster will be just as outstanding (in terms of market reach) as a huge conventional coaster?

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
See, what Six Flags does is something I would call "coaster purity". They care about the rides itself and not much else. With this logic, it's inevitable that every big investment automatically means it has to be a huge coaster, and once you slap a business-mindset that mainly cares about stats onto that, sure, you're burning money. Cedar Fair has found a great middle course by investing into huge coasters, but mainly focusing on ride operation quality and ride experience quality, which is evidenced by their relationship with B&M. Mack Rides also perfectly fits that.

What B&M is for Cedar Fair, would be RMC for Six Flags, and conveniently, RMC has a lot of products in their portfolio where size just doesn't matter all that much. Twisted Cyclone proves that.

Investing big these days just means something different than it did 15 years ago. It's not Six Flags' business anymore, they clearly have no interest in getting into the "new business", and they do not gain any competitional advantage over Cedar Fair if they just start doing what they are doing already.

Klugheim cost 70 million euros, on an area that is roughly as large as the average german bathroom. It's the proof in the pudding that Disney and Universal have found the best way to make huge investments into amusement parks decades ago, and that it works the same way for thrill coasters, even without the stupid IPs (which for Disney and Universal mainly are a tool for tax evasion via shifting licensing costs around within the corporation and also artificially skyrocketing their perceived investment amounts). The coaster wars went into an entirely different direction, and in hindsight, I feel like the largest amusement chain in the world was almost ruined by a private dick-measuring contest between a few engineers.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I'd say one word here "Monopoly"
They have this name and fame already, why bother building something which is better than others, because there is no means in attracting extra people. When they feel the decrease in popularity they will make one new "Cool" coaster and everyone is back...
I think it's more important to build unique rides when you have to compete with other parks in the neighbourhood. For Example Phantasialand in Europe. They keep building Unique and "Recordbreaking" rides, just because somehow they will always have to compete with parks like Efteling and Europa (which are both on a 3-4 hour drive)

Pear

Strata Poster
I prefer the new Cedar Fair method personally. Focus money into a new ride that isn't necessarily the best thing ever but a great addition for the park and in the process revitalize an area of the park that needed attention all while bringing theming that reflects the area of the park. I think this solution will be better in the long term as it keeps rides from becoming worn down in popularity as the years go on and it also improves the atmosphere of the park as a whole.