What's new

Do you make any noise?

Martyn B

CF Legend
When riding coasters, what noises do you make?

Sounds a bit silly, I know, but after watching THIS video, I became a bit intregued (and annoyed) by all the noises that the riders were making. Yeah, they've obviously riding an awsome coaster, but is there really any need for all that? Or does an amazing ride just bring it out of you?

Also, that video made me thinking abouts the whole 'no hands' thing. To me, it comes across as little childish, like "look at me ma, I'm so brave". For me, I find it pretty uncomfortable to ride with my arms STRETCHED into the air (never even done that, but just holding my arms up is needless effort, really). And what's with the thrusting of chests? Like, wtf....

What's it all about? Do you do it? Does it really enhance rides?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Before we start, can we just make it VERY clear that anyone making a negative comment about another site will have their entire post removed!

I tend to make grunts, really, but nothing over the top and certainly nothing loud. I'm English though and the thought of letting somebody else in the world know how I am feeling is utterly abhorrent to me ;)

If a ride is really, REALLY good - I may go "wow" at the end, if I'm feeling particularly emotional...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
If the airtime is stong is tend to shout woooooo, but with most rides I just love to laugh as I go around, unless it's a SLC, I just shout in pain.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I'm like Owen. I usually talk to the person next to me (if i know them) on the lifthill and then just laugh to myself around the rest of the ride.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm not even sure. I think it's just laughing and whoops and such, but I never think I'm particularly loud. I certainly don't have a 'thing' that I do.

The exception being rides that make me scream "****" ! But I can't find that topic... :p

cookie

Giga Poster
I let out a "woohoo" when it's an awesome coaster I'm riding, like Balder. Otherwise I let out a few "weee" here and there...

...Unless it's a really terrifying coaster which makes me go "OMG I'M GOING TO DIE!!!!". Hollywood Rip, Ride Choke It is one of those.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Depends on the ride tbh. If it's one that's genuinely scary, on the lift I'll usually joke with my gf about why we're on it etc... Down the first drop, again if it's steep/fast/long I'll probably utter some expletives, and the rest of the ride is usually just OHHH YESSS, or THAT WAS AWESOME.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
I tend to "whoo" and laugh on rides. I don't know, it just somehow adds to the experience. Sitting in complete silence is awkward.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I'll give a "what the ****" or "holy ****" every so often as well as a laugh for something fun or unexpected but that's it. Well there may be some deliberate noises but that's as I said only in special situations.

As for the hands up I really tend to do it on B&M hypers (or giga)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I smile if I am enjoying it, but if something catches me by surprise, I let out a "woah ****" or just "woah" depending on who I am with. I typically don't do hands up anymore.

BBH

Giga Poster
Either hands up and "whoa!" or " **** **** **** **** **** **** " most of the ride.

Mike

Giga Poster
Vekoma SLCs usually make me go "ahhh, ohhh, arrghh", followed by me getting off the ride holding my head and neck in pain. Similarly crap rides can get a "what the hell is this!", and either incredibly bad rides or fantastic drops make me go "ho-ly shiiiiiiiit!"

A strong pop of airtime usually gets a "woh" or "oh!".

The Colossus barrel rolls also have me going "WooOHH.. WooOHH...etc..etc" oh something similar.

For the arms in the air thing, if I'm being filmed (by TPRers or CFers) I usually hold them up, but normally it really depends how comfortable the coaster is and whether I can be bothered to in the first place.

peep

CF Legend
I make noise from time to time, really does depend on the situation. I have been known to join in the Coasterforce chants on rides before. Usually I make noise due to pain or to express enjoyment of the attraction. I occasionally make conversion with others on the lift hill because they're boring.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I definitely say "WHOOOOO!" if it's an enjoyable ride or if something takes me by surprise. I find that it does enhance the ride in the sense that it is a result of/cause of my adrenaline pumping even more. I like to be totally immersed in the ride experience which means enjoying it however I feel necessary.

As for hands up, I don't do it to prove anything or simply because it's tradition. I will do it if I feel that it causes a sense of insecurity or adds a new dimension to the ride (i.e.: on a launched coaster it increases the drag force on my body causing me to feel more swept away by the ride).

Long story short, I do whatever makes the ride fun or refreshing for me and I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it.