Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I HATE IT! Never again!

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hutch

Strata Poster
Some coasters and rides can be pretty painful, such as SLC, Arrow Loopers, or rough woodies. The pain can make the ride more exciting, but it can also ruin ride.

Magnum's bunny hills were pretty brutal to the thighs, but I thought that it made it much more exciting and intense. I also like me some rough woodies, so overall, I do like the pain on coasters. But don't give me pain on all of 'em, I still prefer smoother coasters over rough ones.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Do I enjoy actual pain? No, it ruins the ride. I don't rate Skyrush that highly, for instance, because despite its amazing layout, the restraints smashed my thighs and disrupted the experience for me.

Intensity-related discomfort seems to be something that I can handle pretty well, though. Look no further than the fact that I'm just about I305's biggest booster on this forum.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Rough, yes. Love it. Have a higher tolerance than most it seems.
Painful, no. Having my head smashed is just not fun.

Discomfort? Either due to restraints (Skyrush) or intensity (I305) fine by me but it can be problematic after multi rides. Like Skryush and Mav....3 tops before my shoulders were crying in pain.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Roughness with OTSRs will ruin a coaster for me. There's nothing enjoyable about having your head smacked around or the headache resulting from it.

Brief moments of pain to the thighs through airtime (Magnum XL200 or Dodonpa for example) I actually find hilarious, but I don't equate that with roughness.

I enjoy an old-fashioned, rough woodie if the coaster is actually any good - Grand National as a prime example. If it's a crap coaster though, the roughness just destroys it even more. I'm looking at things like the two Hurlers here.

Things that kind of throw you around and stuff are pretty fun, like Voyage and Grand National. I also don't mind Skyrush and Magnum, both of which get complaints directed at them for the fact that they hurt people's thighs. However, if we're talking headbanging or something that can result in me having a headache for the rest of the day, I don't enjoy it. Cobra at La Ronde is a pretty good example of that.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Do I enjoy pain? No.

Do I learn what to expect after re-rides? Yes.

I think the ability to condition oneself to a ride helps minimize "pain," such as: Mantis, Magnum, Skyrush, and Mean Streak.

All of these have their rough parts, but as you learn when to lean forward, how to properly adjust restraints, etc. - they are fun rides.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I don't mind a little roughness, but head banging and neck/ear chopping ruin it.

So I don't mind skyrush's poor restraints but head banging totally ruined Furios Baco for me.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I don't mind roughness if its on a coaster with a lap bar or perhaps a very soft Intamin OTSR.

I HATE a coaster with head banging like Ninja @ SFSL and any other Vekoma hell spawn.

In answer to the question, I kind of do. I like my woodies with a bit of shakiness. That is one reason why Beast is my favorite wooden. It felt like you were riding a wild beast through a forest. If it wasn't rough it would have ruined the experience. I feel that rougher woodies are great expreiences. I like the idea of Iron Horse on rides like Texas Giant or Rattler, but not on perhaps the Boss @ SFSL. It would loose that touch of wildness that I crave on woodies. If a steel coaster has bangs you around I live it. Magnum is an unbelievable coaster because of the crazy roughness. It produces a more wild ride! This is why Arrow is among my favorite coaster companies. Their rides are usually rough in a good way.

Do I like pain? No! I hate pain on a coaster. Do I like rough rides? Yes. Roughness and pain are two different things. If the pain subtracts from the experience, then I don't like it. If it helps the ride to be more wild like Beast, Magnum, Vortex, and Grizzly, then YES!

Casio

Mega Poster
It really varies ride to ride for me; generally I think I mind the pain less than most; I love Desperado, Baco and Stampida despite (maybe because) of the insane vibration. I also find a lot of rides fine which others complain about, (Manhattan Express, Colossus) but there are some that just get me and it ruins the ride, namely Riddler's Revenge, Green Lantern (SFMM), Kumba and worst of all Gwazi .

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I seem to have quite a good tolerance for a lot of the coasters people say are rough or painful - I'd happily ride goudrix again, and I love saw, I'm ok with a bit of neck chopping if the rest of the coaster is good (eg maverick).

About the only coasters I hate due to pain / roghness are Baco, kanonen and space mountain 2 (dlp)

madhjsp

Giga Poster
gavin said:
I enjoy an old-fashioned, rough woodie if the coaster is actually any good - Grand National as a prime example. If it's a crap coaster though, the roughness just destroys it even more. I'm looking at things like the two Hurlers here.

Spot on. Cyclone at Astroland rides much the same way as Nash, I'd imagine. Plenty rough due to age, but enjoyable because of the layout and airtime. Meanwhile the Hurlers may very well be two of the worst coasters ever constructed.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Yep, Cyclone at Coney Island is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. It's rough, it's painful at times, but it doesn't matter at all because it's so much fun.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
Pain I usually don't like, and it usually causes me to not ride something again. Case in point, Mean Streak. The shake on that almost always seems to give me a headache and just pisses me off. I'm also not a fan of the former Iron Wolf at SFGAm. We all know how your head is like a pinball between the pads on the OTSR. However, since it was usually a short line, I'd end up riding it a lot because I don't want to wait for anything else. I'm also mixed on my opinion of Maverick. I found it to be a good ride, with the exception of the neck pain it caused me going through the inversions.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There's a definite pain/pleasure threshold. I don't mind being knocked around and bounced about as long as I'm enjoying the ride. Vekoma Corkscrews are a good example of this. The never really "hurt" me, they're just a bit of a bang, but it's never more than a bit of a slap or something, but the rides are quite good fun under it. I come off feeling a bit battered, but I've had a little fun too. If I came off with a headache or bruising, then the pain outweighs the fun.

Wooden coasters I expect a bit of a bashing and I love the bumping around a ride like Megafobia or Big Dipper (Blackpool) gives because it's harmless and the underlying ride is so much fun it doesn't matter. I agree with madhjsp and Gavin that Cyclone just fits into this, but not at the back...

Grand National is the same - in some seats/trains it's fine and the bashing is part of the fun, but in others it's horrendous. The pain is overwhelming and my last run on both The Nash and Cyclone I would have happily leapt from the train rather than suffer it any more. They really did push me beyond acceptable limits.

Poseidon at Europa Park actually left me with a substantial bruise on my leg from one rough bit (and the rest of the ride was **** ), so that's a big no-no of a ride for me (though I would ride it again anyway if everyone else was ;) ). Baco and Kanonen I agree with CD on. With Baco it was the shaking and the fact it did bollocks all. It's essentially just a figure 8 with a slow inversion while all the time you're having your brains beaten about your skull. Rita shakes me about too, but at least it mixes airtime, and fun high speed corners between the beating. Baco offered nothing after the launch but feeling like a rat in a blender.

Kanonen was similar. Far too much jolting and unpleasant hang-time and nothing good about the coaster at all to make it worth the pain. Dull launch, piss poor top-hat, short layout of pain. Not huge pain, but more pain than any element of fun.

I guess essentially, if I can still come off a ride smiling in spite of the pain, then it's fine. If I come off just with pain, it's failed somewhere.

Nemesis back left always chews my ear off badly for instance, but I don't care about a boxed ear when the rest of the ride is so excellent.