What's new

Do you know all the words to at least one Abba song?

Do(es) you(r Mother) Know all the words to an Abba song?

• Yes, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I thank you for the music.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
LOL! At work the radio is on all day and occasionally we catch ourselves singing along.

A few mins ago, Knowing Me, Knowing You (Aha!) by Abba was on the radio and all seven of us in the office sang it perfectly all the way through. Even the Polish cleaner popped her head through the door and went "Aha", it was a pure comedy moment. It's certainly set that Friday feeling in stone!

There's a wide range of people in the office, different backgrounds, ages and taste in music, yet we all knew the words to the song.

I'm pretty confident that there's only about 10 people in the entire developed word that do not know the words to at least one Abba song.

So, even if they are not to your liking, do you know all the words to at least one Abba song?

marc

CF Legend
I have a nasty feeling I know all the words to most Abba songs lol, nothing better than singing along in the car to a good Abba song :)

But Abba always reminds me now of that great film Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

A

Anonymous

I don't really know then by heart, but if they are playing them then it's easy to sing along.
Same things goes for a lot of other music.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm one of those ten :lol:

Odd, as the first album I ever had was an Abba greatest hits (I was about seven and got it with a little tape recorder). My Dad was a big fan ;)

Anyway, I used to like them at that age, but grew out of them as time went on. I don't mind them still, but I dislike the way people seem to think they're the greatest act ever. They've been idolised beyond what they ever were (in my opinion), generally by people too young to have heard them when they were "big".

It's a Beatles thing, I think that the Beatles get too much praise. It's not knocking the music, both are solid musically, and both certainly were massive and influential. It's just that there seems to a requirement to think they're the best thing ever. If you think anything different you're an outcast from society. It just winds me up a bit that you're not allowed to just think "they're alright".

Rach

Giga Poster
You've just inspired me to listen to 'Knowing Me Knowing You' as I haven't listened to that one in years.

I'm the same as Marc, I think I know all of the words to most of the Abba songs.

:)

Ollie

CF Legend
I'd know the main bits for all the songs but probably wouldn't remember the smaller bits unless the tune was playing along at the same time.

There's not much to Abba songs lyricwise anyway, and they've been played so many times that everyone knows them by heart anyway.

nealbie

CF Legend
^ Be careful what you say Ollie :lol:

There's some deep meanings in a few of the Abba songs..... apparently :roll:

Emmett

Giga Poster
The only song I would know all the words to would be SOS as its my favourite Abba song. The rest I would only know a few lines here and there. I used to listen to their albums on vinyl when I was very young I still listen to their albums now. They produced some amazing songs.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
You can't be my age & grow up where I did without knowing every Abba hit by heart, whether you like their music or not. :roll:

marc

CF Legend
The Winner Takes It All is my favorite song of all time, I never get sick of it even though it makes me get a bit teary. Emmett like you I also really like SOS, I did like the one Madonna sampled but got sick of it due to hearing Hung Up to much.

Eagle is a classic song that so many people forget, it was very different to their other songs again I never get sick of it.

Rush

Giga Poster
I LOVE Hung Up! :p

I only have to listen to 'Take A Chance On Me' once and it's in my head for at least seven hours. Now I need to visit Leekspin or something to get the said song out of my head. (It's going to be a long night.)

Rory

Mega Poster
Yeah I know the words to a few Abba songs, namely Does Your Mother Know, Dancing Queen, Take A Chance On Me, Mamma Mia and of course Waterloo. :)

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Yeah, I know the words to a fair few actually, Thank you for the music is a great sing along too, :D

Crow

Mega Poster
So when you're near me, darling can't you hear me? SOS.
The love you gave me, nothing else can save me! SOS.

:shock:

Oh dear. Its stuck in my head now. ARGH!

Ben

CF Legend
Of course.

I even know the Spanish lyrics to Gimme, Gimme, Gimme. Because I'm awesome/sad. And their Spanish version of Gold was ammmazzinng (Oro, not with the same songs as Gold - better ones, like Se Me Esté Escapando, Slipping Through My Fingers, which is an awesome song, nearly forgotten save for the musical)

ABBA are amazing. I think they should tour <3 <3 <3

Lain

Giga Poster
I could probably sing along to most of the choruses, but I'm not sure I could recite an entire song the whole way through.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
furie said:
They've been idolised beyond what they ever were (in my opinion), generally by people too young to have heard them when they were "big".

It's a Beatles thing, I think that the Beatles get too much praise. It's not knocking the music, both are solid musically, and both certainly were massive and influential. It's just that there seems to a requirement to think they're the best thing ever. If you think anything different you're an outcast from society. It just winds me up a bit that you're not allowed to just think "they're alright".

I agree with you up to a point. It pissed me off at school when my friends suddenly "discovered" The Beatles and I was pretty much the only one in the group saying, "meh."

The difference between The Beatles and Abba though, is that they've never been cheesy; it's never been "uncool" to like The Beatles. I really liked Abba when I was a kid (about 9 or 10), but never would have dreamed about telling my friends that. A couple of years later you get Abba Gold, and the country goes mad for them again. Then it's off again for a few years until ****ing Mamma Mia comes along.

Anyway, the answer is a definite yes. I could probably sing along to more than just one or two....

My favourites would have to include Lay All Your Love On Me, When I Kissed The Teacher, Angel Eyes, One Of Us, I'm a Marrionette...I'm going to stop now.

Ben said:
ABBA are amazing. I think they should tour <3 <3 <3

Never, ever, ever going to happen. If you ever get the chance to see Bjorn Again, go! They're brilliant. They've got it all down so perfectly, but really take the piss as well. Have a few drinks, go with some friends, it's a great night out.