What's new

Do you count a coaster if you cant remember riding it?

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
This topic stems from 'rare creds' topic.

I have pictures of me as a child riding the old Powered mine train at Paultons Park but I cannot remember riding it or even knowing the ride existed. Now i want to add this to my count but surely if you cant even remember riding then that kinda misses the point of counting creds in the first place?

Do you have any creds that you've counted but cant remember riding?

nadroJ

CF Legend
The rule usually is if you have evidence of your riding it, like your photo, then it counts. If you have no memory of riding and no picture then you don't count it.

For instance, Space Chase at Adventure Island. I don't 100% remember riding, but I do remember losing my hairband on it from riding, so I must have ridden it. And parents confirm that I've ridden. So I count.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, same as Nadroj. If somebody can confirm to me that I've ridden it, then I'd count it.

It's frustrating because I have no memory of the Virginia Reel at Blackpool, but it was there every year I visited (I visited twice a year generally) until I was 10. I was tall enough to ride it, it was right at the entrance, I used to go on Noah's Ark and Water Chute that were on either side of it. I just cannot remember it at all.

When I rode the Tubs in Gt. Yarmouth though it felt familiar. There are odd rides like that which invoke memories more powerful than simple Deja Vu which could be a suppressed memory of The Reel.

However, I can't find anyone who can confirm it.

Same with The Mouse at Alton.

So no, they don't get counted.

davidm

Strata Poster
yeah Virginia Reel for me too ; I have a memory of its track, but it could just be my brain playing tricks on me...

So no, not counted.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've actually never had a situation exactly like you're describing Chris, but something similar so I'll share.

I don't remember my first trip to Legoland, but my parents assure me I rode the Dragon with them while I was there. However, I do remember a subsequent trip (probably around 3-4 years later) where I rode it again.

In my creds spreadsheet I record the year I first rode a coaster (let's me track my 'new ceds per year' etc), so I've got Dragon in as the first time I went, even though I don't remember it. But I do count it because I know I definitely have.

I haven't got any that I only rode once before I can remember, but if I did I think I probably wouldn't count them.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
For me I need to either remember of have photographic evidence. Purely because my mum, bless her, isn't great at this hobby, she insists I rode rollercoasters at Clacton years ago, but does she know which? No. I've shown her photos but she said 'oh maybe that one, you definitely rode one or two of them though!', so I don't count them just to be sure. If I did ride the Clacton Go Gator I'll be mightily annoyed as it's so hard to ride (don't bother Ben). But I don't think anyone as basic as Mother Wood would think of that as a rollercoaster though :lol:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm certain that my first cred was Texas Giant, as my parents just didn't take us to theme parks before we went to America. I only actually remember riding the Texas Giant and Judge Roy Scream, but my Dad's confirmed that we rode every coaster at the park that day, I've double checked with pictures.
No idea which order we did them in though, which doesn't really matter that much, but Mum said we went on Texas Giant first and she refused to ride any more because she hated it.

However, Mum also says we went to Peter Pans's Adventure Island when we were young, and I do remember going there but not riding Space Chase, no one can confirm me riding, so it's not counted. I also never counted Beastie because although it's highly likely I did ride it whilst it was at Alton, I have zero recollection of doing so, and I remember riding every other ride there.

So yes, if there's evidence.

Snoo

The Legend
Nope. I knew I rode a few coasters at Busch Tampa and CP when I was a kid (mid 90's) but have no recollection of doing so.

peep

CF Legend
Yeah, same as what everyone else has been saying. My memory can be diabolical at times anyway and luckily I've been good at recording things since I got into this hobby. Before that though it's a bit of a mystery at times. I know I rode at least the caterpillar cred at Dreamland in the 90s because there's a photo of me on the thing. There were a few coastline creds I rode as a child but couldn't tell you where they were so I never counted them. Have totally had moments where I've realised I previously rode them in the 90s whilst riding them though, no harm in re-riding a cred to make sure.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
As a 5 year old, I don't remember riding much. Even if I did, I either already have it, or it was a traveling dragon wagon. So no for very young age.

But in now times, I remember nothing on some coasters(i.e American(Cubs) Thunder, Thunderation, and Primeval Whirl), but I know I rode them, so I count those.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

TilenB

Strata Poster
The only instance in my count is whether I've ridden the X-Speed coaster in Movieland or not. It was there on both of our visits and I remember riding the Log Flume right next to it, but not the coaster. Parents have said we rode that one too, so I count it. Going to a theme park (or riding any rides at that) was a rare event when I was a kid (usually only a trip per year to either Gardaland or Mirabilandia), so I did actually manage to remember quite a lot of it. Perhaps there might be a fairground I'm missing, but I'll probably never know (I've recently found pictures of me riding some stuff on our family vacation to Egypt 12 years ago, but it doesn't seem to be any coasters in the mix).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
"If a Vekoma SLC runs without any riders, does it still hurt?"

The point of coaster counts, to a large extent, is sharing your experience of riding any given roller coaster. For instance: You and I ride Revolution at SFMM. You and I both thought it was good. But how good? I thought it was 47th best, based on my roller coaster count. But you thought it was 32nd best, based on your roller coaster count.

Roller coaster counts give us a frame of reference for judging a roller coaster. So in this sense, you would not count a roller coaster if you cannot remember riding it. However, if you are simply counting for the sake of counting - full steam ahead!

Rachel

Coaster MILF
As others have said, I have to either remember riding a coaster clearly or have some sort of evidence to count it.

I'm fairly sure i've ridden one of the creds on the Isle of Wight and one at Hastings but the memories are so vague I don't count them.

Ben

CF Legend
Jordanovichy said:
If I did ride the Clacton Go Gator I'll be mightily annoyed as it's so hard to ride (don't bother Ben).

=[

But... but... I've got it =[

If I can't remember riding it but do have confirmation that I've ridden it then I'll add it.

I'm 95% sure I got the Circus Clown at Chessington, I vaguely remember riding it, but my dad has no idea so I can't add it. It was on there up until last year, but, I took it off in my cull.

My dad swears blind that I rode Thunderlooper but I have no memory of it and it shut when I was six, so, I doubt it somehow.

Other than that, I remember riding Alton's Big Apple (and have photos, and have ridden it again after it moved anyway), and that's probably the only thing I rode at that young an age (at least that I know of now!)

Oh, my mum reckons I rode Vikingar but "that viking roller coaster in the corner with the water" could mean Valhalla to that basic hoe so.

Actually, I also remember the Zyklon thing at Billing Aquadrome (my Grandma lives next to it) but noone knows if I rode it or not. I just remember it being there. So can't add that either.

Dave

CF Legend
This is rather strange I just used Coaster Count to update my cred list and it was lower than I thought. There's a few rides I just could not remember if I rode or not, similar to Ben and the Clown Coaster at Chessington. I can't remember if I went on it when I went with school once.

But unlike Chris I do remember the Runaway Train at Paultons as I remember distinctly going home and trying to recreate it on RCT.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Not really a problem for me, however...
There are so many coasters at the German fairs I went to as a kid that I remember riding, but don't have a clue as to what they were called. I remember riding the same ones many times over the years, but also when different ones cropped up. However, since I can't remember anything other than what type of coaster they were, I can't count them.
As far as park coasters, I have no problem remembering them all since we didn't visit theme parks when I was a kid in Germany. I remember riding my very first coaster as a tyke because we went to Kiddie Park in San Antonio dozens of times and we did go to Myrtle Beach when we came to the States on vacation, so I remember riding those (especially my first woodie). My first theme park visit was the day Carowinds opened and by then I was a teenager. Carowinds only had one coaster back then anyway.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Chessington's Clown Coaster is one of these for me. No memory of it, at all, or the area it resided. But I visited many times whilst it was there.

Then dad brought it up saying it must have been my first coaster.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I admit there are a couple of dubious ones on my count. The one at Paultons that Chris mentioned is one of them. I went to Paultons every year when I was young so I'm confident that I rode it but I don't have an actual memory of it. My Mum doesn't remember but assures me I went on "bloody everything."

Shock horror, but I don't take my coaster count that seriously. Yes, I enjoy totalling them up, but if the evidence is strong enough for me to think I rode something before I started to actually count them, them I count it. I can't be arsed to look through my coaster count, but I reckon there's about five dodgy ones on there. Hurrah!

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
Forgetting credits is the reason I don't count fair coasters, as I've probably been on about 10 wacky worms at local fairs that could all be the same one moved around for all I know.
The only permanent cred I was ever unsure about was the Rudolph coaster at New Hampshire's Santa's Village, which I haven't been to since I was 5, but I found photos of myself on the ride. (Apparently they run it in the snow!)