What's new

DLP Spring 2015

peep

CF Legend
Saturday 9th May

After seeing the Book of Mormon with Patrick on the Friday night we stayed at a hotel close to the Eurostar station as our train was so early in the morning. Despite staying close to the station we still had to get up at a grotesque time. Still, we made it to the station on time and had enough time to grab some breakfast. The train to Lille was rather uneventful. We had an hour to kill in Lille so we wandered around the shopping centre next to the train station, it was being revamped so it was a bit of a mess but what was finished looked nice.

It was then on the TGV to Disney. Doesn't take too long and before we knew it we were making our way through security and checking our larger bags in the Disney concierge (a lovely free perk of being a pass holder). With all the new Spring things our priority on the trip we started by making our way to the end of Main Street to catch Goofy's Garden Party. It's been slightly tampered with since last year, it's still a large scale show taking place in Central Plaza but it didn't feel as good as last year's inaugural show.

DSC08737.jpg

DSC08739.jpg

DSC08740.jpg

Next up was the slightly modified show on the castle stage, Welcome to Spring. Yet again it felt like a toned down version of what was offered last year and the sound felt slightly muted (probably because the audio on central plaza is crazy loud these days due to some additional speakers). Still, it's a fun show that showcases the best songs from Mary Poppins and the choreography is pretty good.

DSC08742.jpg

The other new Spring thing was Minnie's little spring train. It's the usual overly themed Casey Jr train with a bunch of characters on. The train was done up pretty nicely though. The FAB guest flow guy was back too, he always puts a smile on my face, he's got so much energy and is always just totally loving life. I always manage to get the worst photos of him though...

DSC08745.jpg

DSC08746.jpg

DSC08747.jpg

After the parade passed we were going to ride Phantom Manor (which was advertising a 20 minute wait - everything was under 60 minutes!). As we got there though the queue had gained a lot of people and was now filing through the cattlepen of eww. So we gave it a miss.

DSC08751.jpg

We decided that this was probably going to be a similar story across the park so we opted to hop over to the Studios via the Liberty arcade (even popping into the little show thing they have in there which was very dark but in a fairly good condition). Once at the Studios park we found the time boards posting similar short queues, we were very pleased. So we headed over to Ratatouille which despite being one of the longest queues in the park (at 70 minutes) we were able to join the single rider queue and got on in about 25 minutes.

DSC08752.jpg

It's still absolutely incredible. All of the effects were working well and I was sat with a Hen party whose reactions made it even more enjoyable (the audible gasp when they saw the actual restaurant was quite amazing).

Next we popped back into the Studio one building where a new Spring band were about to pipe up. They were awesome but boy was their song line up odd. They started with the 20th Century Fox fanfare before going into a really long cop drama theme tune medley (it was freaking awesome) and they finished with two Frozen tracks, Love is and open door (my favourite track) and Let it go (obviously). So yeah, random but excellent. It was a shame they were shoved to the side though, it's such an awkward location and I'm sure they would have gained a better crowd if they were on the little stage outside Cinemagique.

DSC08753.jpg

DSC08755.jpg

They had new posters for the new Pixar film, Inside out which were pretty awesome...

DSC08756.jpg

Next up was Rock 'n' Rollercoaster with a 15-20 minute wait. Oh gawd it was in such excellent condition! If it hadn't gained a larger queue by the time we were off I would have totally gone round again and again. We had really loud audio ("I'm loving that!" - Steven Tyler was totally right this time) and lots of smoke which made the lighting look even more epic. It's so easy to get a lousy ride on this but when it's good it is pretty awesome.

DSC08757.jpg

We then decided to queue for Tower of Terror (which had also gained quite the queue but meh). The staff were really on the ball and some were really playing with the theme which was great to see. There was one guy who loved making people jump (and he did an excellent job of it). The ride was obviously as epic as always. Just so much air time.

DSC08758.jpg

DSC08759.jpg

We then managed to time it so a Cinemagique performance was about to begin so obviously we did that next. It was packed with people! The audience was really responsive (including a rather grumpy British woman when splashed with water "oh great!") which was excellent to see. It has recently received a new digital projection and I could really tell (my ol' QC eyes weren't too pleased with the transfer tbh but that point is rather mute in a theme park). Nice to see so much love for one of my favourite shows (in the form of both audience reaction and park spending).

We had arranged to bump into someone familiar so we hopped back over to the main park.

DSC08760.jpg

DSC08761.jpg

We opted to go over to It's a Small World as there was no queue. Parts of it were looking rather tatty but that's always the case with this attraction, just what does look poor changes every time :p

DSC08762.jpg

We decided to do another high throughput dark ride next with Pirates of the Caribbean. Yet again there was a lack of a queue which was nice.

DSC08764.jpg

Wow, it was in such excellent condition! So much of it was in working order (including a projection I don't even remember seeing before!) and it was just a joyous experience.

We then headed over to the Cinderella themed restaurant to wait around for a familiar face. While waiting I took a few photos of the area and the random fountain day show they put on.

DSC08765.jpg

DSC08767.jpg

DSC08768.jpg

We then decided to go see the dragon under the castle. On the way round we also popped into the random (and awesome) shop in the exit area of the Snow White dark ride.

DSC08769.jpg

DSC08770.jpg

DSC08771.jpg

The dragon was in perfect condition which was great to see. Lots of smoke and all bar the tail was moving. Kids were absolutely in awe of it, not bad for a 23 year old animatronic :p

DSC08773.jpg

DSC08774.jpg

We then headed over to Frontierland as we had a dinner reservation for the recently refurbished Silver Spur Steakhouse. On our way (we were running a little bit early) we walked around the Frontier fort of random tales. This was my first time in the Steakhouse and it was quite nice. Our server was quite attentive and provided us with a good service (not the snail pace of Walts). Our annual passes got us a free fruit cocktail drink which was very tasty. The food was very filling and of great quality. Not sure I'll return due to the cost (and not being the biggest Steak fan) but I did really enjoy my meal.

DSC08775.jpg

DSC08778.jpg

DSC08779.jpg

We then pretty much walked on to Phantom Manor (great way to relax after a hearty meal). It too was in a pretty great condition. The lift effects were in excellent condition but it was a little too dark in there (the park appears to have purchased a trillion new flickering light bulbs which are just a bit too dim to use for practical lighting).

As we exited the ride we noticed that Big Thunder had broken down (to the point of ride evacuation) so we knew it was going to cause quite a huge wave of people elsewhere around the park. However when we arrived all the way over at the back of Adventureland that didn't seem to have been affected and we only had to wait 10 minutes to get on Indiana Jones. We had such a good ride on it (my only problem with the ride is two snaps in the track and the restraints, really enjoy it apart from that) that as soon as we got off we went round again as the queue had completely vanished by the time we got off. We weren't the only ones going round for seconds too.

We decided to head over to Fantasyland to see what the queues were like over there just before the land closed for Dreams (they close it for fear of fireworks hitting guests). Pinocchio ended up having like no queue so we went on that. It too had clearly had recently seen some paint as some of the UV sections were very bright. Also, the random pneumatic on the fairground bell effect will never fail at nearly giving me a heart attack.

DSC08780.jpg

After that we decided to go mental and ride the Mad Hatter's tea cups. Even with a slower spin I still came off this really dizzy (I really don't fare too well on these rides).

DSC08781.jpg

It was then time for a second go on Pirates because, well, why not. This time it ended up having a bit of a bigger queue but mainly down to loads of boats being taken off. We then headed over to Discoveryland as Buzz had a 10 minute queue (yeah, I had to pinch myself, it never gets a small queue). It's in really bad condition these days and with most of the other attractions in good condition it just shows it up even more. Still, I beat Patrick.

It was then time to wait for Dreams to begin. This is where we're still in shock. When I visited the Japanese resort it was a thing that there would be an area for shows for people to sit and then an area for people to stand and it worked wonders. For the first time I saw the same happen in Paris for Dreams - and it was VOLUNTARY, guests just did it without staff doing anything. We expected everyone to stand as soon as it started but no! I had to take a photo because, well, I still can't get over it.

DSC08783.jpg

Dreams itself was still good apart from the Brave ("I am Merida" - urgh) section and lack of fire (boo!).

We then did the 20 minute walk back to the hotel. We stayed at Resid'home in Val d'Europe which is a lovely 4 star hotel and really cheap (about £20-30 more than the rubbish ibis). I'm sure the beds were more comfortable than we've had before too, just a really great night of sleep - definitely required on this sort of weekend.

Sunday 10th May

We awoke at a fairly decent time and grabbed some breakfast at a local bakery (this place is a Godsend, very cheap and open really early on a Sunday <3 - located next to the main RER station entrance for those interested). We then hopped on to an RER down to Disney. We had a slight plan of what we wanted to achieve with our day and that started with seeing Thumper and Miss Bunny. It was a good 30 minute wait but plenty happened within that time to make it go by rather quickly. First in front of us was a group of three French girls that were wearing what I would only expect to see in Japan, clothing style inspired by Disney characters. So you could totally tell what Princess they were meant to be without exactly dressing up as them if that makes sense? There is a term for it but for the life of me I can't think what it is. Anyways, one was Elsa, one was Belle and the other was Aurora. They looked incredible, their wigs were like, perfect. Some kids decided that they were good enough to have their photos with etc. This caused Bart the Photopass man to run off to clearly talk to superiors to double check on the rule before coming back, giving them the ultimate death stare and tell them politely that signing books and taking photos with other guests is prohibited. Boo.

DSC08784.jpg

In the meantime people were having their photos taken with Thumper and Miss Bunny and there were taking ages with everyone, being very hyperactive and awesome. So was Iggi. Iggi was the cast member that was looking after them but he kept trying to steal the show and was kinda succeeding. I can't even really explain what it was that he was doing but in general he was just putting a smile on everyone's face. Anyway, we finally got to meet the crazy bunnies.

DSC08785.jpg

We then went to Town hall to try and reserve a table in our favourite restaurant Walts or maybe even the new Ratatouille one. However both were pretty booked up (we have never really had an issue pre-booking before, pretty sure everyone else on resort were fans who knew what they were doing) so we had to settle for Blue Lagoon (oh dear, what a shame :p ). As we were being seen to the Spring Main Street band piped up so we went to watch the rest of their set.

DSC08789.jpg

They were good but their set was a bit bland, especially compared to yesterday's band in the Studios. Still it's great to see all of this live entertainment. As they were finishing up Goofy's spring show was about to begin at the other end of Main street so we went to go watch it again. Still don't think it's as good as last year and we totally chose a bad spot to watch it from but the music is still great.

DSC08790.jpg

DSC08792.jpg

DSC08793.jpg

DSC08797.jpg

We then decided to head over to Indy again because, why not?

DSC08798.jpg

Being in Adventureland and our impending dinner reservation in Blue Lagoon we were going to do Pirates of the Caribbean but as we entered the queue we could hear something, we could hear live music. This peaked our interest and we had to go find where it was coming from straight away. Turns out there was a random pirate live band performing outside the Blue Lagoon. Oh boy, so glad we saw them as they were amazing. They interacted with the crowd and played great music, including one of the PotC film score themes which was just perfect.

DSC08801.jpg

It was then time for our reservation so we headed inside where we were seated pretty much straight away. We got to sit next to the ride area which I always prefer. We had a lot of people shout over "Bon appetit" which I always find amusing. The food, as always, was fantastic. The dessert which was a coconut mousse in a coconut shell is still one of my favourite dishes though, so tasty. Oh and obviously we got another free fruit cocktail, this was a bit more bitter than the one at the steakhouse but it was still delicious.

DSC08802.jpg

DSC08803.jpg

After our meal we decided to actually ride Pirates now. Just like the previous day it was in excellent condition (still no sign of the donkey though, he's been missing for ages now).

DSC08804.jpg

Upon exiting the ride we found the pirate band again. They were playing the same set so we stayed for the film score bit before moving onwards. We decided to head over to the Studios after faffing about a bit. We found the fruit carver outside the Central Plaza restaurant which was cool. I knew they did this during the Spring event but I think this was the first time I actually saw the guy doing it.

DSC08805.jpg

DSC08806.jpg

Anyways, Studios time. As an amusing request earlier in the day I said it would be great to ride Crush's coaster again as it's such a rare thing. Well, upon arriving at the time board in the park we discovered that most rides in the park had a very short queue with Crush having only a 30 minute wait for single rider. It seemed like a good opportunity so we joined the queue. Upon reflection we regretted not taking advantage of the short queues for Tower and Rock but you live and learn and it's not like we haven't done them countless times before. The single rider queue was a new thing for us and it was being operated pretty well with a ride team that worked really well together. Having to balance the normal queue, disabled queue as well as the single riders on a spinning coaster with a fast turnaround is pretty difficult so I congratulate them for their crazy efficiency. Obviously the single rider time is just random because you can never truly judge how many groups of three there will be but it worked well and we were on within 25 minutes.

DSC08807.jpg

DSC08808.jpg

This wasn't my best ride on it, if anything it was my worst. The scene with Nemo and Squirt was broken and on a bad audio loop and we stopped at the top of the lift hill for a while (sounded like a stacking issue) and then we got a really poor spin, to the point that my side didn't really see any of the effects too like Crush waving goodbye. Oh well, still worth it for that great big drop in the dark.

We then made another odd choice and left the short queues for another go on Ratatouille via the single rider queue. It amused me that one of the cast members followed us as she gave us our 3D glasses, then she showed us what seat to go to and then she was on the exit platform. They sure like moving them around on this attraction :p The ride was obviously just as incredible as before, everything was working really well and the smells in the fridge section were very strong. Joy.

DSC08810.jpg

We then grabbed a fast pass for Tower of Terror before moving over to Rock n Rollercoaster. After our previous ride on it we were very excited to get back on it. Annoyingly we had to wait quite a while and then as we entered the indoor bit of the queue disaster struck and the ride broke down! We decided to stick around in case it was a quick fix but after about 10-15 minutes they confirmed it was basically dead and they emptied the queue. Still, I got to see a pretty goony tattoo. He had a few band tats on his leg and that but his upper arm had a Vekoma corkscrew with the ride car jumping through it, it was amazing. I was very very close to taking a photo of it because it was that awesome.

Anyway it was nearly time for our Tower fastpasses but instead of waiting around for it we just joined the 5 minute queue. Yet again the staff were on top form and the guy who loves making noises was in charge of sending us to our rooms, he had this excellent stare as well as his awesome obsession with trying to make people jump (and always succeeding).

DSC08811.jpg

Our time in the resort was nearing its end so we went over to the main park for some Ben and Jerrys ice cream while we watched the parade. Weirdly enough Baloo and King Louie were walking behind their parade float rather than dance on it.

DSC08813.jpg

We then wandered around Discoveryland to see if we could see any visible changes going on. Everything is just too covered up still to tell.

DSC08814.jpg

DSC08815.jpg

DSC08816.jpg

We were tempted to ride Star Tours but it was just cutting it too close to our train home so we left it.

DSC08817.jpg

And that was the end of our little Spring weekend in Disneyland Paris. We had a nice time and the crowds were odd, it really felt like everyone was there for the shows and not the rides which I don't think I've seen before. Oh and everyone sitting down for Dreams is going to weird me out for quite some time. Just how the hell did that ever happen? Is this a new regular thing that is happening?

DSC08819.jpg

Anyway thank you for taking some time to read my little report and I hope you enjoyed reading it.

nadroJ

CF Legend
John said:
There is a term for it but for the life of me I can't think what it is

It's called Disneybounding ;D

Park looks lovely for Spring, glad to hear most things are in full working order!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I love reading Disney trip reports and seeing how different people tackle the parks. Indiana Jones wouldn't have got as much love from me though :D The refurbishments are putting me off from wanting to visit any time soon.