What's new

Diving show platform collapses at Europa Park

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Hmm think something is awry at Europa - police here at the mo doesn’t look good. Something collapsed?

V9ePllJ.jpg

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
The photos are terrifying - how lucky were those people on super splash!! Just a couple of seconds later dispatch and I dread to think…

Some people were hurt unfortunately :(

Christian

Hyper Poster
Here is a video from "X" showing the moment of destruction.
Video

I hope everyone gets well soon
Oh God. The diver jumped inte way too shallow water for that height, hope she is alright. Good that Atlantica didnt dispatch a boat at this exact moment. That could have gone really bad. Hope that ll the riders in the earlier boat are alright.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Forgive the speculative post, but I can't help but wonder if there's something a bit off at Europa?

Feels like they've had a few incidents in a comparatively short period of time. I would very much hope that it's just a bout of bad luck, but at the same time, one has to wonder whether they need to review some procedures / make internal changes.

Should stress that I don't think Europa is unsafe or that there's any negligence on their part specifically. That would be pure, unfounded wild speculation. And it's clear that their ride safety is still extremely high. And their incident response procedures are clearly fantastic too. But I don't know, there's still a bit of me that has a raised eyebrow I guess.

Most importantly, I hope that everyone affected is okay and gets the support they need moving forward. All of the performers involved, regardless of whether they were injured or not, must have even a slight bit of trepidation about performing in the future; it's not something they can easily forget.

Last edited:

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Forgive the speculative post, but I can't help but wonder if there's something a bit off at Europa?

Feels like they've had a few incidents in a comparatively short period of time. I would very much hope that it's just a bout of bad luck, but at the same time, one has to wonder whether they need to review some procedures / make internal changes.

Should stress that I don't think Europa is unsafe or that there's any negligence on their part specifically. That would be pure, unfounded wild speculation. And it's clear that their ride safety is still extremely high. And their incident response procedures are clearly fantastic too. But I don't know, there's still a bit of me that has a raised eyebrow I guess.

Most importantly, I hope that everyone affected is okay and gets the support they need moving forward. All of the performers involved, regardless of whether they were injured or not, must have even a slight bit of trepidation about performing in the future; it's not something they can easily forget.

I do wonder if this is a symptom off all/most year round operations (no time to re-calerbrate, do full audits and checks, space to construct etc etc) coupled with staffing issues after Covid i.e. one less engineer or maintenance guy on site etc- knock on effects. Things are 'thrown up' overnight - because Europa are Europa - when maybe they need to take a bit more time and .....chill!

Things have to be 'guest ready' all the time and park have little breathing space! I feel this is an industry issue not just EP - EP is so vast that maybe its pronounced... also EP are 'perfectionists' - and I feel they are more 'yes people' when they should be marginally more wary.

The need to re-coop after lockdown i.e. get as many guests as possible (so open all the time) whilst maybe cutting a few shifts etc.....

I hope they have some serious sit downs and sort themselves out - and all other parks follow suit!

ChrisCoaster

Roller Poster
Another major incident at EP, this time even with injuries. I'm speechless about this ongoing series of serious accidents.
I still remember how Roland Mack made the safe operation of the facilities his main theme of his IAAPA presidency.
In retrospect, it seems quite unsettling...

Christian

Hyper Poster
Things are 'thrown up' overnight - because Europa are Europa - when maybe they need to take a bit more time and .....chill!

This specific dive pool was pretty much a bigger splash pool put up in Atlantica's pond. Instead of putting up this temporary structure, they could have build a proper diving pool but of course I guess that was a decision of time and cost.