What's new

Dive machine holding break - how does it work?

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Simple as the thread title! How exactly does it work, and how does it release?

I can't actually fathom how they made a brake feel quite so strong... every time i go on Oblivion it feels as though the brake is never going to hold as you tip over slightly.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Not exactly the technical version, But from what I can see.. so don't quote me.. Its just a chain, that causes the train to slow down to a minimal speed, which rather than stops you, gives you the feeling it has.. Then when it releases it simply speeds up.

Thats what I think anyway..

Slash

Giga Poster
Its like a chain lift except the opposite if you get what I mean. It hooks you on and must have some strength to keep that weight their, but the chain never actually stops its still, ever so slowly, carrying on.

I'm not sure on the exact technology but thats all I can give you.

Snoo

The Legend
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZieKyOZu1c[/youtube]

Go to 1:10 and learn.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
The trains have a set of reverse dogs on them that catch the chain..
I love chain dogs, but the wife says we can't have any pets. :p

Snoo

The Legend
The show, I think, is on YouTube if you look for it. That episode I enjoyed, except for them saying Gwazi was actually decent.. which it clearly isn't.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just to note, there is an interesting shot at 1.48.

I know the track flexes and all that, but it really looks cool in that shot.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
That is quite incredible! The only coaster i've specifically noticed it on without looking for it, is Spinball Whizzer. But that just seems to wobble all over the place.

Steven

Giga Poster
Nor like the Parc Astrix wooden coaster on its break run thats over a pathway. Now thats insane. You see the track bend to the forces of the train and breaks, Effectively the breaks stop it dead but the track keeps moving. Then it 'pings' back into position. Scary stuff as you have to walk underneath it.

Snoo

The Legend
What show was what? The one I posted?

Build It Bigger.. aired on the Discovery Channel last summer I think.

A

Anonymous

Here is a video that shows the way Rattler move as the train passes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYF84b8O7a0&feature=related[/youtube]

Clearly visible after 0:35.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Bloody hell, I've never seen a wooden coaster do that so much! Usually you see the push but never a severe wobble back and forth... How odd.

Snoo

The Legend
^My same thoughts. Over all this time, wouldn't ya think to brace it maybe a little?