What's new

Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain officially reopened today

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Couldn't find this posted anywhere, but Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain officially reopened today after the soft open that took place last week. The coaster has been down for refurbishment since January, 2013. Here's a video of what the ride experience is like with the new effects.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGHNZg4X8tg[/youtube]

marc

CF Legend
Re: Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain officially reopened to

Looks great, the effects really do add something to that final lift hill.

Povs just don't show how much this version throws you around, it's the best version out the three I've been on.

nadroJ

CF Legend

The final explosion is amazing, the way the lights and sound and everything all sync together, perfection. Also love the updated bats in the cave at the start.

Also, kudos to the moron who kept his hands up for the ENTIRE ride XD

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Now that's what I call a polished turd! Without the theme it would be dull as ditch water. And I hate to say it, without Disney being behind the effects, any theme would still be ditch water-esque but with a few cow pats floating in it.

nadroJ said:
Also, kudos to the moron who kept his hands up for the ENTIRE ride XD
Yeah, I bet he felt really hardcore! The little kids must have been in awe and the women riders would have been making a constant "brrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Thunder has always been my least favorite mountain, but that looks a little cooler.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

This makes me even more excited about Paris's 9 month Big Thunder Mountain closure, planned for this year!

marc

CF Legend
Are they planning on getting these effects then? Or are they just fixing the current ones which don't work?

I hope they do get them as it will really improve the experience.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Screaming Coasters said:
This makes me even more excited about Paris's 9 month Big Thunder Mountain closure, planned for this year!
I'm sure everyone returning to DLP for the new ride will be delighted they've shut one of the major old ones. Great timing!

peep

CF Legend

I don't think they'll be getting everything at Paris, but they will surely be looking at improving the end lift hill scene which still has a large gap where the huge boulder used to move about. Maybe they'll get some of the interactive queue elements that they added in Florida? Probably just a clean up like they did about 5 years ago though.

I still can't believe how long this Big Thunder was under wraps for.

marc

CF Legend

If they are painting all the rock work that will be why, this one was only shut a few years back for that reason as was Orlando's.

Are they replacing track in Paris as again Cali and Orlando done theirs as well all during the repaint.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

John, for 9 months, I'd hope they'd be adding more than what you just stated...

Marc, at the moment, we only know it as a referb + added elements. We don't know about retracking, but by whats going on with Indy, it could happen. Part of the budget is believed to include longer trains for increased capacity.

With Disney in control now, I'm sure we won't be disappointed.