What's new

Disney wants to invest $1 billion at Disneyland...

davidm

Strata Poster
Strangely picked this up from my LinkedIn feed...

"Disney wants to invest $1 billion at Disneyland, California Adventure in exchange for no new gate tax"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disn ... aheim.html

Basically Disney saying they will pump big money in if the city doesn't impose a admissions tax - interesting read and presumably a precursor to major investment over the next few years. Which is nice.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
They need to pumping more money into Florida really.

I think they've kind of got a bit arrogant, maybe not the right word, since their Florida parks are consistently busy and bringing in a s**tload of cash, but Universal have totally upped their game and are now offering the better parks.

In California, they still OWN the market since Universal there is crap, Knotts doesn't really come close and Magic Mountain isn't exactly competing. Any investment for any park is obviously welcome, but Florida seems to be a bit tired and stagnant at the moment.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Angels (baseball team) are in a major stadium dispute with the city. Considering the stadium essentially shares a parking lot with the new transportation hub they just spent millions on, and with an expansion of the monorail, the land is ripe for the taking if the team leaves for other locations in the area (there are several cities bidding for the rights to build a stadium)

Obviously it's not close to the current parks in terms of walking, but running trams/monorail would make it a viable option if the team leaves.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I really hope they get an RMC & a B&M Hyper (330ft at least). Disney needs a new Skyline, the castle is pretty boring these days.

S

SimonSays99

^Basically I would say you are looking at the wrong park for this kind of rides.

On the other hand: They would fit in nicely with an action-packed Star Wars themepark. But isn't their major coaster manufacturer Vekoma - so maybe more likely a Flying Dutchman? :wink:

Darren B

Giga Poster
^I think if you knocked down the castle you'd have a good sized footprint for an RMC. As for the Hyper, I'd have that going over and integrating with the main entrance.

SchindHaughton

Roller Poster
gavin said:
They need to pumping more money into Florida really.

I think they've kind of got a bit arrogant, maybe not the right word, since their Florida parks are consistently busy and bringing in a s**tload of cash, but Universal have totally upped their game and are now offering the better parks.

In California, they still OWN the market since Universal there is crap, Knotts doesn't really come close and Magic Mountain isn't exactly competing. Any investment for any park is obviously welcome, but Florida seems to be a bit tired and stagnant at the moment.

Complacent is the word you're looking for. I agree with you though, Disney really needs to do something about WDW. Universal and SeaWorld have been upping their games, and Disney has just been letting the cash roll in. The wait times on the attractions at Epcot and DHS (particularly Soarin' and Midway Mania) have been out of control for some time now, and both of those parks need more things for people to do. Disney seems to have big plans for DHS, given the name change and how many attractions have closed in the last year with no announced replacement, but I'm not convinced that'll be enough. Time will tell.