What's new

Disney announce new expansions for WDW

peep

CF Legend
Well everyone should already know about the expansion plans for California Adventure and HKDL so I'll just post the news and pics for WDW.

First they confirmed the rumours for the new expansion of Fantasyland at WDW. It will be doubled in size. So what will they be adding?

- Pixie Hollow, a new adventure area themed around the new Disney fairies franchise (main character being Tinker bell)

- Dumbo doubled and a new interactive queueline (games) which means you don't 'queue'

- The Little Mermaid attraction plus meet 'n' greet area for Ariel

- Meet Cinderella at her Châteaux, see her transform from her servant clothing into her ball gown, then dance with her in the famous ball room scene

- Sleeping Beauty's cottage, the three fairies help you put together a party for Sleeping Beauty and then celebrate her birthday with her

- Enter the World of Beauty and the Beast. Guests help show Belle the story in a comical way. There will also be a two new restaurants, "Be our guest" which is set in the ball room and "Gaston's Tavern" which I think looks cool

A video of the conference can be seen below. It features loads of concept art of the new area.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08W5Os-Wnj0[/youtube]

That's not all. Remember earlier this year the big rumour of Star Tours 2? Well, they announced this too, they event showed a clip from it in 3D. Which can be watched below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VliPqCf4Z0w[/youtube]

They have done an amazing job on that clip but I hope the rumours of the multiple endings etc are true and I hope we get to visit other planets like seen on the posters as you exit the original attraction. I'm also disappointed they didn't announce it for DLP, oh well, I suppose it was wishful thinking.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Wait, is the star tours thing happening at Disneyland or Hollywood Studios?

The fantasyland plans look amazing. It'll be cool to see them pull it off.

Gladiator

Mega Poster
Im hoping for the new Star Tours as DLP too
Im glad their doubling Dumbo - the queues for it is horrendous

Damn! That is a lot of expansions, I wonder how much money they're putting into everything combined between all of their parks and all of the expansions each park is getting. Everything sounds great though, but I thought they already had a meet and greet area for Ariel?

Good stuff.

peep

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I thought they already had a meet and greet area for Ariel?

I'm not too sure what they have to be honest. If they do have a meet and greet already it'll be moved into the area which will be home to the new attraction.

Star Tours 2 will be replacing the original Star Tours at the California and Orlando parks. It won't take them very long to change it all over. It's mainly putting a few new effects in, new projectors (capable of 3D) and I suppose a general clean up of the attraction. They said Star Tours will close October 2010 for an opening of 2011.

spicy

Giga Poster
The fantasyland plans look incredible can't wait to see how that turns out.

No doubt DLP will get Star Tours 2 eventually, they are probably still getting high attendances because of ToT so when that dies down they will probably add and market Star Tours 2.

Although it would be quite nice to keep the original Star Tours at DLP and have Star Tours 2 in America so you can ride both, unless ST2 is vastly superior.

Is that all they announced then? I thought Disney would have something a little bigger up their sleves for WDW with Harry Potter land on the way at IoA.

Mark

Strata Poster
I was just looking at all of this on Screamscape.

This is an amazing development for Disney World. The fantasyland area is amazing anyways and this is going to really push that. Particularly like the sounds of the Be Our Guest restaurant, the giant ballroom was always a favourite scene of mine.

Just for those that asked, Star Tours II is going into Disney Hollywood Studios (Orlando) and Disneyland (Anaheim). According to Screamscape any plans for it to make its way over to DLP will be about 2 years in the process. This is due to the language barriers and all the adjustments that need to be made in order to best avoid the said language barriers.
You have to remember that DLP is FRANCHISED. They announce plans themselves and not via the DisneyExpo anyways.

marc

CF Legend
Some good things going in there for kids and families, I was hoping they would give plans for a new park with thrill rides. Maybe that will happen after this work is complete.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Did anybody else notice that the two sides of Dueling Dumbos are different? One has like.. double the arms. Is this due to the second Dumbo being converted from Aladdin?

Another thing I noticed something from the Fantasyland concept art:

fantasy.jpg

Its a bit hard to tell, but the Mad Tea Party seems to have a new roof, much more like the Paris version, or am I just mistaking that? If it is, that would be awsome!

Overall I think this will be an amazing expansion for Magic Kingdom, as their Fantasyland is a bit rubbish at the minute. I like the fact that they have taken the land out of the boundary of the castle walls to create almost a countryside.

peep

CF Legend
Interesting. No details on what they're changing yet so I'm intrigued.

Oh and a video was posted on the parks blog which will be shown in the queue line for Star Tours II. I want to meet the EWOKS!

Linkage

nadroJ

CF Legend
Has anyone else noticed the rollercoaster in the concept art for the Fantasyland expansion? It's in both the pictures of the expanded Dumbo ride, yet it isn't mentioned in the actual outline of the plan?

Intruiging =]

CMonster

Giga Poster
Something Screamscape posted a while back, they may be changing the plan more to include a coaster themed to the 7 dwarves' mine.