What's new

Did Th13teen live up to the hype and your expectations?

Richie

Hyper Poster
I went on it last thursday and I really liked it. It's so much fun <3

Third best ride there to be honest. Better than Air and Nemesis...

fretboardpyro

Mega Poster
Having ridden the ride just yesterday. I don't think it should come down to whether or not it lives up to what ever hype surrounds it. What it comes down to is your own ride experience.

I followed the build quite closely so i had an affinty with it. I loved the drop into the woodland, the snaking turns, the run into the drop bay, the shudder before the drop.

Actually i think its a great ride and really does deserve its place in the park, its a huge amount of fun, and at the end of the day if it puts a smile on your face, it can't be bad.

Ollie

CF Legend
Might as well add my thoughts.

I only got to ride it once and it's all quite a blur as it's a really short ride. For some reason when we (Maddie and I) went they weren't loading the back two rows of any of the cars. We went single rider as the main queue was quite long and got in in half an hour. They put us together as well which was a bonus. The lightning orb in the queue was pretty cool though predictable when it was going to go off when the counting reached 13.
The outside coaster section was slightly better than I thought it'd be. Although I was expecting it to be balls so it was just average and fun near the back of the train.
The inside bit was so overrated and I found the little pre-drop more intense than the main one. It just seemed to lower super fast rather than drop. The theming isn't that impressive either. I never felt like the crypt was real at any point and the station roof is awful.
The backwards section was good fun and easily the best part of the ride. The squiggles it does makes it quite a weird sensation. Also the speed it launches back into the station is much more thrilling than the rest of the ride lol.

I'm still not sure though. I feel I have to re-ride it a couple more times but from that experience it's not that great but quite good fun.

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
Ollie said:
For some reason when we (Maddie and I) went they weren't loading the back two rows of any of the cars.

I'm pretty sure it is due to it going to fast into the 2nd lift hill which causes the ride system to get worried and shut itself down (Although can't imagine the outdoor section any slower)

tks

Strata Poster
Went today, sat in the front car second row, so they're loading the whole trains now, and it was BRILLIANT.

It's such a cool ride, I loved swooping between the trees, the trim didn't matter too much, definately felt it hold you going down the drop though, but the rollercoastery section was quite short anyway so I wouldn't want it going much faster than it did.

The crypt was waaaaay too short in my opinion, it really got my heart racing and I let out several screams (mainly because of a MASSIVE blast of air to the face) and the drop which really caught me off guard.

Then the backwards launch which was pretty powerful! the drop down into the helix at the front is really cool being all twisted, and the helix itself was pretty nice all jumpy around like the car is out of the control.

Main Gripes:

Complete lack of back story leading up the ride. For all the marketing they did for it you would've thought there would be more of a story throughout the queueline. It just seems to be a get on get off ride, which disappoints me as I was hoping carrying on the Towers theme from Hex that it would have some of the story magic thrown in. The most I learnt was from the back of the map!

Shortness of the crypt section. I understand that the sudden drop is to make an impact, but I would've liked maybe a cool statues around you, flickering lights, maybe some kind of crackling intercom and then finally the drop, and then the statues have changed into wraiths, a massive scream and then you fly backwards to get away from them. I felt it was a bit of an anti climax.

But I did enjoy it. LOTS. I came off giggling, always a good sign.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
I expected it to be ****e and thought I was going to be left disappointed and missing Corkscrew.

I was wrong, Thirteen was much better than I ever thought it would be and I rate it as my 2nd favourite ride at towers behind Nemesis.

Cant say I miss Corkscrew at all.

wabbit42

Mega Poster
Went on this the first time the other day and was on the 3rd train of the day. Got a seat near the back. Comfy restraints :) . First drop pretty good, little bit of airtime. First hill was the only place I saw/noticed trims which did get rid of a potentially good hill :cry: . Nice twisty bits, a bit slow perhaps, nice airtime. The crypt. I thought there would be more effects but I love what there is, the small predrop really makes you tense and the actual drop is pretty good, but a bit below what I expected. The backwards dark helix is the best part for me. I think the air blasts are great.
Single rider queue landed me a back seat ride in 2 minutes, rather than a then-60 minute queue :--D . They were simply filling the back two rows with single riders instead of filling spare seats. Extra :--D !. IMO the whole ride experience is better back row, more airtime on first drop and indoor sections better for no explainable reason.
Overall, it exceeded my expectations, I give it an 8/10.

Rob

Mega Poster
I agree with Scott, I was expecting it to be terrible, but I proved to be an amazingly fun ride that has also given the area a much better vibe. It is definitely the ride with the fun factor at Alton and I feel it has a huge re-ride value over nemesis, air and even Oblivion. The themeing was fantastic, I was expecting it to be mediocre at best, but I enjoyed queueing for both Th13teen, and, for once, Rita.

It isn't the scariest ride ever, and yes, the marketing is stupidly out of proportion, but the ride is good fun and certainly delivers plenty of airtime, something Alton's other rides really struggle at.

nemesisamazing

Roller Poster
I really liked it.I dont know if it was my imagination or were there like wormy thing wriggling out of the crypt walls on the second drop.

As for the storyline in 2 words-Killer Trees!!!:--)

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
I beleive Th13teen was a godsend, the ride itself is OK, but the real reason i love it it that it is so out of the way and because of the over hype everyone wants to ride it so it leaves the rest of the park free to roam with little to no other guest arround, on a packed day it is so noticable how busy the dark forest gets and how empty the X-Sector and Forbidden Valley are in comparrison. :--D

A

Anonymous

I went to Alton Towers last Tuesday just so I could try out this ride. It may not have lived up to the hype, but it surpassed even my wildest expectations. The plans showed it was a family coaster, so any hype about "The Ultimate Coaster" was clearly exaggerated. It was in my opinion though, an awesome ride, the theming was top notch, the queue had plenty to look at and the ride itself was perfect. The coaster part was smooth and delivered decent airtime and the indoor section was absolutely stunning. I could have rode it all day and never got bored. :lol:

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
This ride Pissed me off so much when I first went on it, since there's so much pottential!
First of the que, even if there was the just the audio of the adverts (the don't go alone crap) it would be better, but there's absolutley no sound which sucks. However there is some good theming in the que, such as the grave, the car, and the stone bits with roman numerals on.
Onto the outside bit:
Well first off it sucks, it starts of promising, then cut short by trims, looking good for some more airtime, trims, the ride's trimmed so much that the train barely rolls over the buckle/corckscrew hop (last hill). It could be intense like the advertisement states if the first trim on the drop was removed, would help it out a hell of a lot.
The crypt:
OK WTF? this was the biggest let down IMO, there's no theming just some statues, I had expected there to be some sort of speaking such as "you should have come here" and "leave" or "get out" in a demonic voice, but nope there a snap sound, a wee bit of smoke and then the drop (which is actually quite good). Then the tunnel bit should have had stobing lights or something to highten the sense of speed and maybe a few projections of wraiths chasing you, wouldn't even cost that much and would highten the experiance a lot with these little, simple things.

However I came of wating to ride again with a smile on my face so it did something right, so it's probably a 7/10 average, when it could have so easilly been a 9/10 outstanding -.-

A

Anonymous

I didn't know what to expect from it, so after queuing for about an hour and a half after it broke down the other day, I was hoping it would be good.

The outdoor section in enjoyable, it's got some decent twists and is silky smooth. However, all the trim brakes they've got outside kill a lot of the speed and, I felt, really detracted from the experience.

I loved everything that happened in 'The Crypt', though.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
My only complaint with this ride is that it's selling point is it's secret... But it's not a secret! NON-enthusiasts have said to me in response to the advert "shouldn't the point be that it's a secret?"

I'm hoping I can get my mum to ride this and that she will enjoy it, but likely never want to ride it again. Currently, the only rides she will go on over and over are runaway mine train and Air. She's been on Spinball and laughed a lot, but has said she couldn't do it again. She doesn't like the sensation of dropping. :p So I need to keep what 13 does a secret.

ArronL94

Roller Poster
It did & it did'nt, the ride is definaltley not a 'physo coaster' but the ride was fairly impressive, the verticle drop on the roller coaster type of thing, I wasnt expecting much of the ride as I had read the reviews on the internet- I new there was a drop, the drop was fun :lol: :lol:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
It almost lived up to the expectations from the original plans - IE a good family coaster with a unique trick. But it isn't super-scary, or the "ultimate", but that's enough of the bizarre hype and marketing.

The dark forest area itself is nicely themed, and I rather like rita's new voice, but the main queues are rather bland.

The theming on and in the ride building is ok but not in the same league as dlps pirates of the carribean, eftelings vliegende hollande or Hex, and who's heard of a forest which has a van der graaf generator inside? and the scaffolding, whilst a nice touch - if it had been wooden, would have fitted in more with the forest theme. Oh - and the ivy is rather blue and too sparse..

The outside section is rather disappointing - looking at the layout it should give some nice air - but the trims see to that - why why why? even considering it's a family coaster - removing them wouldn't mean the outside was more intense than the inside section.

The drop: Short, sharp and quite sweet, gives a nice bump at the bottom.

The backwards bit - the launch is initiated pretty quickly following the drop - and the whole section is nicely done - and a bit disorientating, but the overall length is nicely judged so it won't cause any bad effects - maybe a bit of light in places would improve it?

and then - could it be the worlds first launch into the end brakes?? Epic!

comparisons are dificult - I guess the closest would be expedition everest, which is better "presented", but I prefered 13s backwards bit.