What's new

Defunct rides that you missed the most

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Think about the rides that have closed for good (or relocated out of you doable reach) and which one do you miss the most?

For me, it's Magic Mill at Thorpe Park.

During my childhood, I used to visit the park every year as a treat. I have fond memories of queuing for the ride and spotting the different Thorpe Park animals along the way...and the enclosed bit at the end was awesome! Seeing all those animals (especially the Thorpe frog) pratting around in a make believe habitat made me happy. The music, the animatroinics... it completed my trip! It was also the only ride that my parents would accompany me on.

In a strange way, I'm glad that I've not seen a POV as I'd probably consider it **** and it would cloud my childhood, but to me back then, it was amazing.

What's your favourite defunct ride?

Ollie

CF Legend
Is there a POV of it? Wasn't that the boat ride where Inferno is now?
Urm. I spent quite a bit of time at Grove Land when I was younger. And thats all shut down now I think. I was one of the first people to ride the new coaster there and I cut my leg on the car so they had to shut it for ages until they put foam round the edges of the car. :p

Snoo

The Legend
Big Bad Wolf. Any other of my defunct rides that are my favorite are still doable (Dominator).

Rides that I can never do but looked epic: Wildcat at Idora Park in Youngstown. A legend among older American enthusiasts.. taken too early.. especially because the ride was literally a bike ride away from me.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Viper at SFAW

It was my first looper and I remember it to be amazingly fun for a 4 year old! I was a tall little kid.

dominoes

Mega Poster
Corkscrew Alton Towers. First time I went was the final year of it's life. At the time I thought "It's alright, I'll go next year"... :(

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Magnum Force at Flamingo Land, what a brilliant, brilliant ride. No doubt the park is in better shape and looks much nicer these days..... But that was one awesome coaster.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Jake's Mine at Oakwood.

Greatest worst dark ride ever. Depresses me every time I go on Brer Rabbit.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Haha I used to be scared to go on that when I was younger. All I remember is the guy in the shower before going into the mine and the bits where the spiders go through your hair haha. :p

Martyn B

CF Legend
The New Beast at Alton Towers. It was my first real roller coaster and was so incredibly fun.

Bingo bango! It was awsome. Though dont Furie will now try to correct me on that!

I'd like to give some notice to Loundoun Castle. I was within touching distance of visiting, but car broke down, couldn't go, then it closed for good the following week. It looked like a really nice pleasent park, and I was gutted to hear of its closure. And chances are, anything worth riding is probably going abroad :(

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Definitely Big Bad Wolf. Shame they had to take out such a classic ride.

Also Drachen Fire, even though I never got to ride it. The only day that it operated when I was at Busch Gardens was during my first visit there, when I was too scared to ride it. Even though it was supposedly super rough, it had a sweet layout and I've always wished I hadn't been such a chicken that day.

spicy

Giga Poster
Can't believe no one has said Black Hole yet, such a shame it's gone was perfect for X-sector and was an Alton classic which has been reduced to just an empty tent :(

Another which I would love to see again would be The wicked witches haunt at Thorpe Park. I can't remember too much about it as I was so young but I remember being absolutely petrified and the witch outside shouting out at the entrance was awesome. Whilst were on the subject of Thorpe I used to love that animatronic show that they had as well Cap'n Andys revue. Good times!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn B said:
The New Beast at Alton Towers. It was my first real roller coaster and was so incredibly fun.

Bingo bango! It was awsome. Though dont Furie will now try to correct me on that!
:(

Yes, it was rubbish.

spicy said:
Can't believe no one has said Black Hole yet, such a shame it's gone was perfect for X-sector and was an Alton classic which has been reduced to just an empty tent :(

See above, load of tosh!

marc said:
Thunder Looper Alton Towers. The area is just not the same without it.

Better than the above two, massively better than "The Blade", but still not actually that good a ride. I think compared to modern coasters, it would feel a bit lame today. I don't know though, I still like Boomerangs :lol: