What's new

Dark Ride vs Haunted House

BigBad

Mega Poster
I get that there can be differences, like how It's A Small World is a dark ride even if not a haunted house, but when the term "Dark Ride" is used in the present day (particularly with Cedar Fair and "Triotech dark rides"), what is meant?

I tend only to ride coasters when I go to parks, so I don't have a lot against which I can compare experiences except for some haunted house rides.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If it's on a track and inside an enclosed building*, it's generally counted as a dark ride in my book. It doesn't have to happen in the dark per se, but the ride shouldn't be visible from outside the attraction, nor should the outside be visible from the ride.

*relative to the rest of the park, I might add. Otherwise, all tracked rides in indoor parks like Ferrari World would be dark rides, which isn't - quite - the case.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Haunted Houses are meant to do 2 things in my view: 1) Scare you. After all, it's in the name. HAUNTED House, HAUNTED maze, HAUNTED walkthrough, etc. Sure, it could have a hospital, oceanic, or even an amusement park theme, but it's core purpose is to scare the guest. And 2) Have a more 'realistic' and personal experience. In most haunts, it's people and some theming scaring people, not just theming. In dark rides, the ride has the same program presented to all guests, regardless of age, maturity, fear tolerance, etc. In a haunt, the actors could 'target' those who seem more scared/get a better reaction. For the realism bit, again, it's people scaring people, not a giant monster or robot. The set is also usually a realistic one- an abandoned ranch house, a graveyard, a hospital, etc. In dark rides, you have more unrealistic things happening in a (sometimes) unrealistic environment.

Dark rides are just more of a sensory-based experience. For example, in JLBFM, you have moving vehicles, fog, fire, and other effects that makes your senses 'activate'(not sure how to word that bit). Also, the purpose usually isn't to scare you. Sure, there might be a few jump scares throughout the ride, but they aren't meant to be defining factors of the ride. They're meant to make you seem as if you're in the world of that theme. Examples, in JLBFM, you're trying to help save the Justice League by going through the city to find them. In Spiderman, you're going through Manhattan, being attacked by numerous Supervillains as Spiderman tries to fend them off. Even in something simple like Gobbler Getaway, you go back in time to the first Thanksgiving to try and get all the turkeys back. Also, some dark rides have an interactive feature, which most of the time is shooting targets. In haunted houses, you just walk through them. In these, you shoot at the set/screen to try and progress the story/ride. Even in plain dark rides where you just sit and look at the set, refer to what I said before- it's the same program with all riders. Even if the ride was meant to scare you, there's no chance it can scare every person riding it. Everyone has different levels of tolerance when it comes to scary things.

Tldr; haunts are designed to scare you on a realistic/personal level. Dark rides are meant to trigger your senses and make you immersed in the world the dark ride takes place in.

BigBad

Mega Poster
When I referred to a haunted house, I meant something with a track like the former Gold Rusher at Kennywood.

What I'm getting is that Gold Rusher would be considered a dark ride, but probably not what is typically meant when the term is used. Rather, the term tends to mean something more like SpiderMan at IOA.

Does it seem like I get it?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
A dark ride can also be a Haunted House. Gold Rusher would most certainly be labeled as a dark ride (a ride.. that takes place in the dark)

GWIS I think was trying to get a point across with haunted walkthrough also typically called a Haunted House. I guess it comes down to being a tracked ride or not. IE Dark Ride would be something that's ridden... but could be a Haunted House... but a Haunted House (haunt/maze/house/whatever) would not be a 'dark ride'

And for fun, Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ride

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Where's Lofty when you need him? :lol:

Lofty

CF Legend
Hixee said:
Where's Lofty when you need him? :lol:
Here babe.

So...

If you were referring to 'Haunted Houses' meaning 'Ghost Train' (dark ride themed to ghosts/haunted houses) than they are a form of dark ride. Any ride inside an enclosed building to protect the scenes from outside light is a dark ride - dark rides come in various shapes and sizes, such as The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, Transformers or the Potter dark rides, but some can have a haunted theme such as Curse of DarKastle etc.

A 'Haunted House' in theme park terminology is a walkthrough based attraction in which guests travel scene to scene by foot whilst scare actors intimidate and scare them. These also come in various shapes, sizes and themes.

So in essence:

Dark Ride = Enclosed ride with 'scenes'.
Ghost Train = Form of dark ride with a haunted/horror related theme.
Haunted House = Walkthrough attraction designed to scare.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
But in the States, you'll never... ever...ever... hear a ride referred to as a 'Ghost Train'..... They'll just say "the haunted house" :p