What's new

Darien Lake | Blast Off | Shot Tower

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Copy & paste job....

Darien Lake announced exciting plans for the 2013 season including a new tower thrill ride and a major upgrade to our popular Laser Blast show.

BlastOff_LOGO_Isolated-e1348245359821.png

“Blast off” is a 185-foot ride that will accelerate thrill-seekers to the top of a tower in a way that simulates an actual NASA launch. Blast Off will be located in the “Waterfront Boardwalk” area, which will undergo significant renovations in the off-season. The Waterfront Boardwalk will celebrate the nostalgia of New York’s popular lakeside resorts and communities of the 1950s and will include classic rides like the Grand Carousel and the Big Wheel, along with new dining options and a “jumping water” attraction where kids of all ages will enjoy splashing and chasing dancing water streams.

Ignite_LOGO_Isolated-e1348245405465.png

In addition to Blast Off, our popular nightly Laser Blast will receive an extensive upgrade, adding cutting-edge water technology, pyrotechnics, and high value production that will transform the classic laser show into a new summer spectacular, “Ignite the Night”. The show will feature a 60-f00t water screen as the backdrop to an action-packed show that chronicles events from the 1950′s to today, including a tribute to Canada and our country’s heroes!

Both attractions will be ready for opening day 2013 which is set for Saturday May 11, 2013.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Re: New tower ride & revamped laser show, Darien Lake

Wooow, seems like I HAVE TO visit it during our Erie trip :p

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

yeah. I wasn't sure if I should put it in news or rumors or ride construction so I just held off. It's about time Darien lake got a new thrill ride. To bad capacity's probably going to be ****

Naemuti

Mega Poster

They're really talking up an S&S space shot I'll tell ya. :roll:

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

rollermonkey said:
Pieman said:
They're really talking up an S&S space shot I'll tell ya. :roll:

+1

Not that they are terrible rides...

Darien Lake has ALWAYS got the scraps of whatever company owned them. SF or Herschend. Still they really don't need a low capacity ride. There's always a long line for superman and that's it.

Also it's not even a double or triple like Marineland has about 30 minutes up the rode...

Jake

Strata Poster

Marineland having three S&S towers is a joke. Even ONE would provide more capacity than they actually need!

This isn't horrendus news I guess. The GP always seem to love these things.

I can't think of any decent flats that were there when I went in 2008 (they're all pretty old, ghetto things) so maybe it fills a bit of a gap there. They defs need a new coaster though, the last one was in 2008 and was one of those dire Zamperla Moto Coasters.

Oh, how could I forget the fourth hand stand up that arrived in 2006 and they never BOTHERED setting up. Apart from that, their last cred was a Boomerang in 1998, which is ridiculous.

Yeah, coaster please!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Yawn, but I can appreciate these things still get inexplicably long queues at pretty much every park I've seen them in, so they're clearly still very popular. It's not as if they're even remotely a rare ride type these days.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Still I may be the only one to ride it this coming season...

Disappointed. I was really hoping for a new cred for my trip next year

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

I remember a mention on RCDB and some other site about Darien having a B&M Stand-up in storage. Why would they not set that up? That would be neat for the park, even though I personally think Stand-ups are gimmicky and pointless.

Jake

Strata Poster

^ It was at Astroworld until the park got spited, then I guess it went to Darien Lake (when it was still a SF park) because it had nowhere else to go at the time. Maybe they were planning on ERECTING it, but SF flogged the park the following year. The new owners obviously couldn't be arsed, and now it's been sitting there for years it would probably be more trouble than it would be worth. Plus it's an Intamin rather than a B&M, so it's even more ancient and has been around the block a few times over the years. I'm surprised they haven't even bothered selling it for scrap or something though...

andrus

Giga Poster
^Do you know if it's using the new style round car with increased capacity? The pic on FB doesn't show..

_koppen

Hyper Poster
andrus said:
^Do you know if it's using the new style round car with increased capacity? The pic on FB doesn't show..

The new round car is only available on brad new towers, it's not possible to convert 2nd hand or existing towers.

andrus

Giga Poster
^Aha ok, I didn't know (that it was a used tower and that it wasn't possible to convert).

^^I seriously need to get glasses :p To me it looked like on-ride cameras or floods at the top..

_koppen

Hyper Poster
andrus said:
^^I seriously need to get glasses :p To me it looked like on-ride cameras or floods at the top..

Actually when looking at the picture now I can really see where you got that from.