What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

SimonProD

Mega Poster
the person coughing in the front seat when the train is moving, will infect all those sat behind.

Thats why everyone going to parks will have to wear facemasks no doubt. Even if those facemasks will not protect you 100% its a risk-assessment you have to make: Wear a mask and take the small risk of getting infected - or not go to themeparks until there is a vaccine.

On the fun side: Cannot wait for the faces when I visit a park and get one of my sneezing fits due to my allergies ?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I'm pretty pissed about all the restrictions we have to to live by! ...

Sorry, how old are you?

Stereotyping and racism is not the way forward in any of this. IF it is indeed true that this virus broke out in a wet market in China, then only a very small minority of people are responsible and it is not fair to say that a whole country has to "PAY" for what they have done. Eating bats is an old traditional culture in china and one that is slowly being phased out and is done by a very small minority of the population. It is extremely unfair to say racist or hateful comments against a whole population for something that is caused by only a small minority of people.

I feel extremely sorry for all those affected in china with lost loved ones from this virus. So many of the population there would have been hit with this virus up to 2 months before information was officially released that it was spreading. At least people in other countries had longer notice and more time to prepare, not that the UK did anything to prepare for the wave of what was to come.

In the past, the Spanish flu virus broke out in America. The swine flu outbreak started in Mexico. These virus outbreaks can start anywhere. How would you feel if a virus outbreak accidentally started in your home country and then you started being subject to racism?

Racism and stereotypes are not the way forward in this, nor is complaining about the situation. It's about looking for the best way to protect yourself, friends and family and to look forward what's to come when the virus has run its cause. Pandemics of these levels are expected by major scientists every 100 years. The last pandemic of this size since the start of covid-19 was 101 years ago. Regardless of how it originated, the world was going to be hit by a severe virus at some point around 2020 and should have been more prepared.

I'm not saying I'm agreeing with the operation of wet markets. I don't think they should be trading however in other countries such as Peru they have similar markets where they sell animals such as guinea pigs for eating. That's a tradition of their culture, and one that is being phased out by a new generation. It is extremely unfair to stereotype a whole population due to this and we have seen the racism that it has caused, and it is not on. This type of virus could have started anywhere in the world at any time.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I'm pretty pissed about all the restrictions we have to to live by! ...

:/

So many things to say about this but in short.... try not to harbour so much unnecessary resentment against so many people (many of which are not accountable) because you can’t go on some rides.

There is little point in blaming anyone at the moment and the only parties doing any blaming seem to be in part deflecting responsibility to bolster their own political agenda.

JammyH

Hyper Poster

If this is the outcome of the meeting today, I will genuinely bury myself in a hole. The UK government has made one ridiculous decision after another, and if they make this fundamental error I think I just want to die.

Face masks are now compulsory in public spaces in New York, Asia, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Austria, Slovakia and Czech Republic. We know up to 50% of cases are asymptomatic and virus droplets can be spread by talking, and therefore masks will reduce transmission. I can't believe the UK scientists are using the excuse that you will rub your eyes more if wearing a face mask! They are using any excuse they can because they know if they make them compulsory they won't be able to supply them to the public!

Honestly, all of this gives me the worst headache. And not the fact that the virus is going around, just the fact that the UK government are making so many fundamental errors. When we start seeing mass amounts of people on public transport and in shops again, the virus is going to start spreading again like wildfire if people aren't wearing masks. Then the NHS won't be able to cope again. They are getting themselves into a worse situation by not making them compulsory.

After cases start to rise again and we aren't wearing them, I'm sure there will be a last minute flick to making them compulsory, just like we had a last minute lockdown. But by that point it will be too late again.

I honestly just want to bash my head against the wall.

EDIT:

Please sign this petition for masks/face coverings to be essential in UK in public spaces as the first part of the exit strategy.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
To be fair it is pointless, as by the time somebody gets to sit in that coaster train they should already have a green QR on the health code app, and are they not also taking temperatures on the gate?

Theoretically it would be more difficult to ride that coaster with symptoms than it would be to get a decent haircut in the UK right now...

Last edited:

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
As a Scot living in England I have to wonder if my old fellow countrymen will still be so keen on independence once this is all over (I've always been against it). The oil price is currently in the toilet and there possibly will not be a theme park.

Scotland has a small population but not THAT small. See similar populations of Norway, Finland and Denmark with far more interesting things on the rollercoaster front. Even Tayto in Ireland is/was on a decent trajectory.

Always thought it was a shame there wasn't more going on in the theme park arena over there and it hasn't taken much to possibly destroy the little bit that is there.
Sad for all the employees and people who tried.

Hope this won't be the first of many in the UK. But I fear the worst since we've heard very little / nothing from politicians addressing much of the entertainment sector during this pandemic.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Oh don’t worry a new form of cure is on the way.

Watch this clip.

L-O-L. What?!??

That man is an absolute idiot!!!

The research he was piggybacking off is important research, regarding the effect of UV and Sunlight. It’s always been suggested that outdoors is much safer, and that has now been / is now being studied, and findings are backing up that suggestion, but of course he had to go and overshadow that with his antics ffs.

Edited to add: results of study for anyone interested:

C20B26D3-5B3D-4418-B01E-D98FD6766C40.jpeg

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
One of my immediate reactions to the M&Ds announcement was "they weren't already in administration?".

Don't get me wrong, hugely tragic to see a park go into administration, but one can't help but feel that the situation just sped up the inevitable in that case.

Professor

I still think doctors need to consider Vitamin D deficiency more which obviously is the link to sunlight which is possibly what Trump actually means in his clumsy wording. I have hardly seen Vitamin D mentioned, maybe like 2 articles out of hundreds about this virus. That Doctor John Campbell guy on YouTube that got mentioned here takes two tablets per day. We have seen a large and disproportionate number of carers in the UK from BAME background dying after contracting the virus. We know that people from BAME backgrounds are often Vitamin D deficient.

Beyonce stated that the reasons so many black people in her home town of Houston were dying is because they were the ones doing front line jobs. I think she is wrong as she is trying to bring socio-economic aspects in the mix and thus sort of blame someone for this which I think is a total deflection. In other areas with smaller black population it would be white people doing these jobs, so what is the difference.

It is quite obvious what happened during evolution and skin pigmentation to me but the stupidity of the human race have treated people with different skin colours differently often whilst it is a completely natural phenomenon but something that perhaps should be kept in mind when it comes to health.

People from BAME backgrounds should probably already be taking Vitamin D supplements more often as Public Health England points out.

I hardly ever hear anyone talk about it except the YouTube doc.

Also, although Trumps' Hydroxychloroquine may indeed not work, but I'm finding it quite disturbing that many people are going after his suggestions so quickly in a sort of way that they appear to hope he is always wrong because they don't like him. I find that very sinister at a time when any possible treatment or cure should be at least considered surely whether Trump suggests it or not. Is he somewhat reckless in what he says? Probably but that doesn't mean that every word that comes out of his mouth is a death sentence to the human population.

Will the University of Oxford get a damning if their 80% working vaccine isn't ready by September?

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
One of my immediate reactions to the M&Ds announcement was "they weren't already in administration?".

Don't get me wrong, hugely tragic to see a park go into administration, but one can't help but feel that the situation just sped up the inevitable in that case.

Which will be the first of the major English parks to go? My money is on Lightwater Valley or Drayton Manor. As you said about M&D’s, I’m very surprised we haven’t heard any noise about struggles from either of these parks already.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I still think doctors need to consider Vitamin D deficiency more which obviously is the link to sunlight which is possibly what Trump actually means in his clumsy wording. I have hardly seen Vitamin D mentioned, maybe like 2 articles out of hundreds about this virus. That Doctor John Campbell guy on YouTube that got mentioned here takes two tablets per day. We have seen a large and disproportionate number of carers in the UK from BAME background dying after contracting the virus. We know that people from BAME backgrounds are often Vitamin D deficient.

Beyonce stated that the reasons so many black people in her home town of Houston were dying is because they were the ones doing front line jobs. I think she is wrong as she is trying to bring socio-economic aspects in the mix and thus sort of blame someone for this which I think is a total deflection. In other areas with smaller black population it would be white people doing these jobs, so what is the difference.

It is quite obvious what happened during evolution and skin pigmentation to me but the stupidity of the human race have treated people with different skin colours differently often whilst it is a completely natural phenomenon but something that perhaps should be kept in mind when it comes to health.

People from BAME backgrounds should probably already be taking Vitamin D supplements more often as Health England points out.

I hardly ever hear anyone talk about it except the YouTube doc.

The thing that gets missed about supplementing vitamin D is that it is important to also supplement supporting minerals, magnesium for example is crucial to your body’s ability to absorb vit D.

Vitamin and mineral absorption in the body is a finely balanced process. You would be best supplementing with an A to Z I think :)

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Also, although Trumps' Hydroxychloroquine may indeed not work, but I'm finding it quite disturbing that many people are going after his suggestions so quickly in a sort of way that they appear to hope he is always wrong because they don't like him. I find that very sinister at a time when any possible treatment or cure should be at least considered surely whether Trump suggests it or not. Is he somewhat reckless in what he says? Probably but that doesn't mean that every word that comes out of his mouth is a death sentence to the human population.

Will the University of Oxford get a damning if their 80% working vaccine isn't ready by September?
I appreciate that you’re principally referring to the Hydroxychloroquine, but did you watch the clip? He said, amongst other things, that we should look into injecting people with disinfectant. Before claiming himself to be a person that ‘knows things’.

That is utter twaddle and unbelievably irresponsible in a position like his. He should be absolutely and unreservedly slammed for those comments, as should anyone on any side of the political spectrum.

His comments immediately afterwards suggesting that he’s a person that ‘knows things’ are just disturbing. He acts as if the sea would part at his command.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Which will be the first of the major English parks to go? My money is on Lightwater Valley or Drayton Manor. As you said about M&D’s, I’m very surprised we haven’t heard any noise about struggles from either of these parks already.
No please not Drayton manor. I will do anything I can to support them staying open ?

I’ve really wanted to do a run of all the uk parks as there’s so many i haven’t done... I’ll be so upset if more of them go under. Luckily m&ds wasn’t exactly on my bucket list

Professor

If we consider huge existing liabilities and cash reserves as looked bad for M&D's (see Company Check), I worry mostly about Blackpool Pleasure Beach.