What's new

Corkscrew's Removal (Alton Towers)

jack.bell

Mega Poster
when i went to alton in may it was a cold day and the park was very quite nemesis, air, oblivion and rita had no more than 30 mins queue. the corckscrew had a 50 minuite queue! i dont want it to go because it is iconic and when i went on it it wasnt all to rough although when i went on it last year it was. i actualy prefere corkie to oblivion because it isnt over in seconds.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
It will be a sad day for me, seeing it go. It basicly made that park. My first Inversion coaster and it looks nice IMO. I want Alton to give it a good send off, and let it get to it's 30th.

There will be no reason to keep the Ugland theme once it goes though.

spicy

Giga Poster
It will be sad to see it go purely because of what it did for the UK theme park industry.

If that ride was never built, I doubt we would have Nemesis, Oblivion etc. CWoA may still only be a zoo. Tussaud's may never have bought TP. You get the idea....

That coaster proved that the leisure industry was still thriving and what could happen if you added a new roller coaster.

in 1979 Alton's yearly attendance was 500,000. In 1980 when they added Corkscrew the attendance was just over 1 Million visitors.

On a bank holiday Monday in 1980, AT had to close its doors because it had reached capacity for the first time ever, and there were still around 40,000 people trying to get in! Corkscrew had a 9 hour queue that day!

Kebab

Giga Poster
No way would I let corky go! Its been good to me recently; its gave me a smooth ride (yes, SMOOTH but only at the front), and also some nice airtime on the banked hill after the drop. It suits the park, I'm not watching it dissappear. :(

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Times change in all things, and if it's the only means of expansion and the costs outweigh the keeping it avenues, then by all means it would be sensible for Alton to remove it...

HOWEVER... If they were to (and they eventually will) remove it, then they should at least make some mark to recognise it's position in the park and what it did to it...

scan

Mega Poster
Space is opening up for Intamin woodie if it goes :p they would have to dig a big ditch though cause of hight restrictions.

Alton really is plaqued by it's hight restrictions, they can't have a drop tower :( I think 90-110ft is the main restriction, Oblivion has a 180ft drop, but half of it is below the suface, meaning it is only 90ft of the main ground.

Beans

Hyper Poster
I'm not sentimental over it at all, only ridden it once, gave me a nasty headache, so not bothered either way, be good to get something new to get all worked up about again, lets hope if it goes they use the space wisely perhaps a Wicked Twister would fit in nicely if it wasn't for the height :wink:

walker1104

Mega Poster
I wouldn’t be that sad to see it go to be honest, because even though it may have set up Alton Towers for what it is today, it’s not that much of a good ride. I don't ride it every time I go anyway so I won’t miss it that much.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
scan said:
Alton really is plaqued by it's hight restrictions, they can't have a drop tower :( I think 90-110ft is the main restriction, Oblivion has a 180ft drop, but half of it is below the suface, meaning it is only 90ft of the main ground.

WRONG!

Alton's height limit is actually closer to 60ft, if it were 90ft, rides would be a lot different really, and we wouldn't have silly green on 3 of the coasters :lol:

Hence why I don't always personally believe Oblivion is 180ft, since it would mean the hole and ditch would be 120ft (ish)... :roll:

A

Anonymous

I got my sister to ride this a few years ago as her first inverted ride, and she hated it so much (she found it painful) she's refused to ride another one since. :( I'd prefer something new in its place.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Who knows what will take its place? The proposed 'baby coaster', the other coaster plan, a flat ride??

Whatever will, it will be unique and special to Alton, perhaps a world, Europe or UK first. Afterall, Oblivion was worlds first 'vertical drop' coaster, corkie was ' a major UK first' and nemesis was 'Europe's first inverted coaster'

Who knows??

A

Anonymous

I won't be sad to see Corkscrew go, it's not all that fun, it just hurts more than anything. Went on it a few times in a row last time I was there, but only because it had no queue, I wonder why, haha!

I was sad when they shut the black hole though :(

Ali

Mega Poster
its deffo worth removing for a new ride
i think the best thing for AT is either a Pre-Fab Woodie or a B&M sit down floorless.
that would be heaven

A

Anonymous

kingatoro said:
its deffo worth removing for a new ride
i think the best thing for AT is either a Pre-Fab Woodie or a B&M sit down floorless.
that would be heaven

Being realistic i can only see a family coaster replaceing it. maybe a prefab but thats a big maybe im not sure a B&M floorles sit down is on the cards for any parks with restrictions.

nemesisnutter

Roller Poster
I won't be said if it goes, was my first inversion coaster but then discovered nemesis.If it does go i would like to see a woody go in there something like troy would be ausome (i am dreaming). Dam, just woke up i hate height restrictions.

A

Anonymous

Nooo! It has to much history, and is such an unreliable source, if this happens, Alton will regret it! :evil:

spicy

Giga Poster
So how do people feel now that its actually going??

Im pretty sad like I said before it will be sad to see it go purely because of what it did for the UK theme park industry.

If that ride was never built, I doubt we would have Nemesis, Oblivion etc. CWoA may still only be a zoo. Tussaud's may never have bought TP. You get the idea....

That coaster proved that the leisure industry was still thriving and what could happen if you added a new roller coaster.

in 1979 Alton's yearly attendance was 500,000. In 1980 when they added Corkscrew the attendance was just over 1 Million visitors.

On a bank holiday Monday in 1980, AT had to close its doors because it had reached capacity for the first time ever, and there were still around 40,000 people trying to get in! Corkscrew had a 9 hour queue that day

Mark

Strata Poster
A sad sad day when this is announced.

Not that I particularly liked the ride very much. It used to just make me ache and cause pain. Yet on the other side of the scales this is a rather big deal. If you are at all interested in the history and heritage of not only Alton Towers but the Leisure Industry. As spicy mentioned this ride caused a massive hype and encouraged a huge impact on the park and industry.

So, I feel sad that it is going, as another one of our older coasters is taken away. Such is the life of change and development.

I'll be there on the 9th to have one last ride.

A

Anonymous

I will miss the old girl. Maybe the dark forest will come into play :)!