What's new

Colossus

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
So - I fitted on colossus at thorpe for the first time in about 7 years last week! (lost almost a stone since being diagnosed with diabetes just before xmas)

Anyway - am I the only one who thinks the worst part of the ride is the esit to the 4 zero gs? really made me dizzy!

mouse

Giga Poster
If you mean exit to the four heartline twists then yes, it does make you go a bit dizzy, but I love it all the same. :)

andrus

Giga Poster
I thought I would get really dizzy after riding Colossus but I was fine :) I think Nemesis Inferno is way worse..

Nic

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Colossus doesn't have any zero-gs
This.

Therefore, this...

nemesis567 said:
If you mean exit to the four zero G rolls
made me...

headdesk.jpg

jokerman

Giga Poster
Normally I would agree that people are being picky about these things, but to be fair you did mention a completely different element.

Anyway, I can't name a particular bit of it that's bad, it just all is.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well done on the weight loss, Chris, but I disagree with you. Despite the horrific roughness, the heartline twists/zero g rolls/whatever are Colossus' best part. They're totally disorientating but they thrill me at the same time. I love that short-lived trapped-in-a-washing-machine sensation.

I have not been on any other coaster that offers such a long period of repetitiveness, so for that reason alone it gets a <3.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Ian said:
Well done on the weight loss, Chris, but I disagree with you. Despite the horrific roughness, the heartline twists/zero g rolls/whatever are Colossus' best part. They're totally disorientating but they thrill me at the same time. I love that short-lived trapped-in-a-washing-machine sensation.

I have not been on any other coaster that offers such a long period of repetitiveness, so for that reason alone it gets a <3.

Who's Chris?

I did like the twists - but the exit was like "whoa"...

and even though it was on a short program - samurai was totally "whoa"!!

oh yeah - And I think nemesis inferno is better than any of the orlando / busch gardens b&ms....

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sorry, it was late, I was tired and mixed you up with Infernus. I meant Dan.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Colossus is a great ride, despite what people say, I've been on a lot worse! I actually dislike the heartline section though, it loses that nice pacing and becomes sluggish, it's as if they couldn't be bothered to finish the layout and thought 'lets just end it with 5 heartline rolls'...

I have to give it to them, it's a gimmick that works. Doesn't go well with me though, especially the sneaky last one, catches me off guard the most! :p I leave Colossus like I'd leave a spinny flat ride, it's a complete head-rush.

sawalive

Roller Poster
Shame thorpe park went for the record rather than an 'excelent' ride, the production coaster package has two helix turns where the heartline twists are, instead thorpe park went for a very uncomfortable 4/5 twists! It has only been in the past few years that I have began to like colossus though, I can only think they gave the cars a good service to stop most of the shaking!

T0M

Hyper Poster
I rode it for the first time during Annual Pass Day this year (eek!), and I enjoyed it but it was approaching Vekoma roughness. New trains should sort it out largely, but I still think the problem is Intamin and inversions, as has been said before!

El Patricko

Roller Poster
Always good to see another diabetic coaster enthusiast, but not in a sadistic way you must understand.

I do not rate collossuss, the worlds first "brail" coaster, readable through touch. I find it peters out after the cobra roll and the heartline rolls just seem like a pathetic (but effective) attempt to secure a world record. Although i do like the way it makes the other rides queues shorter with it's unjustified popularity

james6

Roller Poster
Never understood the hate for Colossus to be honest. Yeah, it can be a tad bumpy, but I really do think it's a great ride, certainly my favourite at Thorpe. Oh and this year it seems to be running faster and smoother than I can remember, IMO at least. :)

nealbie

CF Legend
*makes inappropriate noises for the sexy teal beast*

Colossus is amazingly fab in every way. It's simply that conventional coaster layout gone a bit mental at the end.

It's not rough, it's comfortable and anyone who complains that there's no room (unless they're taller AND fatter than me) is quite frankly retarded.

It used to be better, yeah. But this year it's been stunning on every ride - no matter which seat. <3

Benson1997

Roller Poster
To continue the theme....

Colossus is amazing, I went on it for the first time in my life yesterday, and boy was I in for a shock. I thought from what most people had said about it i was gonna come off with a bad head and concussion, they were wrong.
I recommend to everyone to queue for the front because, theres barely any head banging and its makes the ride that little bit more enjoyable.

Also, i agree with Ian, The heartline rolls are amazing, I grant you that they feel weird but they are amazing.

My favourite ride at Thorpe for sure!