What's new

Colossus Partial Retrack (Thorpe Park)

Sandman

Giga Poster
This is gonna look so much better. Glad Thorpe are bringing back some of that much needed vibrancy, especially coupled with the light colours of Hyperia. The skyline is going to be a little brighter, at last!

I hope they stop slapping that bloody logo right in the middle of their photos though.

Berksfan

Roller Poster
I haven’t been to Thorpe for a good 5 years but I didn’t realise they’d let it get that bad. I’m glad they’re making an effort but would also appreciate new trains more or just something to make it less rough.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Those supports are ridiculous, is that prep work for the paint job or did it actually look like that during the open season?

Here's something I've noticed about the paintwork on the cobra roll that's really annoying me.

Colossus Facebook Photo.jpg

At a first glance it looks fine. But, look at the support I've circled in purple. The blue colour extends from the track onto the top of the support. It doesn't do that on any other support.

Colossus Facebook Photo Cropped.jpg

It also wasn't painted like that when it opened in 2002 (see the photo below) so I'm not entirely sure why they've done this.

Colossus 2002 photo.png

Obviously it isn't a huge deal but it's one of those things that once you've seen it, you can't unsee it! I wouldn't be as bothered if they mirrored it and did the same on the opposite support but it's extra annoying seeing as it's only that one. 🤣

(photos are from the Passholder Group and RCDB)

Last edited:

emoo

Hyper Poster
I didn't see or care myself in pictures, until it was pointed out, then it was all "Urg, really????". Would have been a fun 'did you know' or migraine had they left it as is. It's utterly nuts this is a thing but an excellent side benefit (besides the comedy) to note is that Thorpe want things to be right and will revisit if needed. I feel much better knowing its all consistent.

412140137_379324567809727_5094914506739754474_n.jpg412363489_379324501143067_172300841378512921_n.jpg411255850_379324487809735_7743549158933690434_n.jpg

An update from this evening shows just how lovely Colossus is looking now! And we can see that the support painting mishap has indeed been fixed! (phew!) I can't believe the difference a simple repaint is making, it looks like a completely different ride!

(Seems like I kicked up such a fuss about the support that I got a special mention this time round! 🤣)

1702929540217.png

Last edited:

spicy

Giga Poster

Some more details about the Colossus project in the new video from Thorpe Park.

Although personally found the Samurai news most exciting. Looking forward to seeing that.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Lots of good things in that video that genuinely make me very happy. New theming/refurbed rock work and theming around Colossus, flats being repainted, new toilets (great that they are adding gender neutral ones too), Stealth getting some TLC. These are things that have been needed for years so I'm so glad that it's being done.

Also glad that they're sharing these sorts of details and making a bit of a song and dance about it. I'm actually... not dreading going back to Thorpe Park as much as I'd feared?

Here's the most recent Project Sparkle update from the Facebook Passholders Group.

img_1_1704884251102.jpgimg_2_1704884257224.jpgimg_4_1704884262502.jpgimg_5_1704884268602.jpgimg_7_1704884273493.jpgimg_8_1704884279405.jpgimg_9_1704884285023.jpgimg_10_1704884291535.jpg

And we're back! We're kicking off '24 with a Colossus Sparkle Project update. Work is progressing at quite a pace, phase one of the track repaint is complete, and theming repairs are now underway.

We're in the process of repairing and repainting the tunnel rockwork, the colours you see here are a basecoat - we'll then apply scenic effects.

New fiberglass panels are being installed around the tunnel to bring the theme back to the 2002 heyday!

We're also throwing some additional sparkle to the shop and deep in the tunnel with new blue and gold celestial artwork (more in future updates). You can see test patches on the shop front, we're going with a deeper, rich blue seen at the top.

Work is starting on an upgrade to the ride entrance portal.

-------------------------------

I'm loving the new fiberglass panels, I think they'll look awesome. The new blue and gold paintjob for the shop front and cobra roll tunnel/pit is a bit of a surprise but a welcome one. I'm looking forward to seeing the gold patterns in future updates, I'm assuming they'll somewhat resemble the detailing seen on the recent "Stargazing" series of Colossus merch.

spicy

Giga Poster
The Colossus Cobra roll pit is actually a beautiful bit of theming which is often overlooked. Probably due to the state the park let it get into. Looking forward to seeing it refurbished hopefully they now keep on top of keeping the fountain working and clean.

Colossus overall is actually themed very well i’m glad it’s getting the attention it needs.

I wish they were getting new trains to improve the coaster though, the restraints really need changing.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Looking forward to seeing it refurbished hopefully they now keep on top of keeping the fountain working and clean.

The park have said the fountain won't return (this season, at least). I'd be surprised if they managed to get it back at all, but obviously that's no excuse for letting it getting dirty, etc. Hopefully they do manage to upkeep the appearance in the future (as well as of all the other things they're sparkling up this season!)

Snurt2theHark

Roller Poster
The park have said the fountain won't return (this season, at least). I'd be surprised if they managed to get it back at all, but obviously that's no excuse for letting it getting dirty, etc. Hopefully they do manage to upkeep the appearance in the future (as well as of all the other things they're sparkling up this season!)
The fountain and water stuff were removed a few seasons ago to make maintenance access easier, right? Instead of leaving the effect unused, they could install some sort of fog/steam effect within the mouth and then have blue lights underneath to make it look ethereal.

The fountain and water stuff were removed a few seasons ago to make maintenance access easier, right? Instead of leaving the effect unused, they could install some sort of fog/steam effect within the mouth and then have blue lights underneath to make it look ethereal.
That would be amazing. I'd love to see something like that in the near future.