What's new

College Work/Music

Kraken

Roller Poster
Seeing as there seems to be a slight musical theme in here, I thought I would post one or two of my things. I'm doing a HNC music production course at college at the moment, for which I've been making various pieces throughout the year. So far I've had to do a cover song and a 2-part demo, as well as a group piece and make a music video to one of them.

I did a cover of the Burning Red by Machine Head before Christmas and have just finished doing the video for it. The video is the first attempt I've had at a proper music video, so it isn't anything fantastic... and I'm not really sure why we had to do it on a music production course... :roll:

I tried to give the song a new edge with piano and strings and the female vocals (which were done very much last minute), but keep the umph in it.

Anyway, enough of the rambling... any thoughts on it?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHWd7l0Wzvw[/youtube]

(Best viewed in HQ)

peep

CF Legend
That was really good Kraken. I've not heard the original so I can't compare it but it sounded really nice and very professional.

The video looked quite professional but there was plenty of shakycam in there and a repetition of the shots, apart from that I thought it was very good, can't wait to see more. Keep it up :D

Ollie

CF Legend
Quite good actually. Like Peep said there were a few repeated shots and you also might want to use a tripod next time as the camera was quite shaky.

Kraken

Roller Poster
Cheers. The vocals were done in about 4 takes that were pieced together in Logic, but my friend learnt and recorded them in under 3 hours a few days before it was due in, so they're not perfect.

I did toy with using a tripod to film, got couldn't be bothered to lug around fields and stuff for the evening. I know what you mean though, I definitely should have used one.

I'm going to try and get in the studio next week to get some more stuff recorded, which I'll put up as soon as I'm (reasonably) happy with it.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Hey man, sounding okay, and i like the feel of the video. As a fellow engineer i would like to add that the vocals are EQ'd really high and don't really sit until the guitar comes in to fill out the mids range. Have you thought about some automation on EQ in your mixes, to keep the track sounding fuller throughout. Piano and Strings are normally high freqs in mixes, maybe the vocals in the mids until the guitars come in. It's a shame you couldn't get real drums on this either, but the strings sound cool. Well done, keep it up mate.

Kraken

Roller Poster
Sorry, slow reply here. Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the process of remixing/mastering the above track before the final submission next week, so will have a play around with the vocals. I had them EQ'd a bit more to the mids originally but it came out extremely muddy, so I guess I over compensated when taking the mids down a bit. I will have another play with it though and see what I can do.

Here is another track I recently completed... a cover of Massive Attack's Teardrop. We had to recreate the song in a completely different genre so I went for sort of metal with a progressive twist.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIppns3h2Cs[/youtube]

It lacks a little bit in the low end and I would have liked to have re-recorded the guitars again, but ran out of time with it. Same with the drums... the EZ drummer had to do. The sound has come out a little rubbish on YT without high quality on, but gives an idea. Thoughts?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
No the recording is fine as it is, all you need to do is run the guitar through a Multiband-Compressor and ramp up the bottom end. Done, instantly thickened. Perhaps even treat it with a slight phaser to warm it up? I also recommend you do the compressing on the kick by taking out some top end and double it up with another kick sound, maybe some sort of 808? Take out all the top and mid frequencies making the the 808 just boom to thicken up the main kick sound.

Do I even make sense?
And do you have a Multoband Compressor? If not, Izotope Ozone is amazing!