What's new

Coasters with moments of utter insanity

BBH

Giga Poster
The 153, wave turn, overbank through the lift, double barrel roll-- screw it, let's just call Outlaw Run bat **** crazy in general. :lol:

bmac

Giga Poster
Roar East was a weird experience, not really that rough but really I had no clue what it was doing after the bunny hill.

Hutch

Strata Poster
steel said:
I know it's not on many people's top ten lists anymore, but I think TTD's launch is worth acknowledging here.

Agreed. Pretty much the entire ride on TTD is absolutely insane.

I remember my one ride on Maverick being pretty crazy for me too. It all seemed to happen so quickly...

oriolat2

Giga Poster
- Second half of The Ultimate.
- Furius Baco, from launch to brakerun.
- Manta's pretzel loop (I haven't ridden Tatsu but I guess they are both as crazy).
- Bluefire's final killer inline twist.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Skyrush - I echo what's been said.

El Toro's ejector hill - wtf.

X2 - I echo what's been said.

The Beast at night - The entire thing really, but right before the second lift I always find myself holding on as I feel like the ride is simply gaining too much speed and a derailment is imminent.

Montana Infinitum (Magnum Force) - The restraint system includes a lap bar and a vest. Yes, they're both necessary. The entire ride is Skyrush intense.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Call me jaded, but TTD and Oblivion stopped being "insane" to me after their singular trick were duplicated over and over.

Stuff like I-305 at opening, the Arrow/S&S 4Ds and Voyage, OTOH? Jiminy christmas. No matter how many times you ride, they just disorient the hell out of you.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
rollermonkey said:
Call me jaded, but TTD and Oblivion stopped being "insane" to me after their singular trick were duplicated over and over.

Stuff like I-305 at opening, the Arrow/S&S 4Ds and Voyage, OTOH? Jiminy christmas. No matter how many times you ride, they just disorient the hell out of you.
Spot on Chris! :D

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Pretty much every drop and hill on skyrush

the slam into the lapbar airtime on formule 1 at parc st paul

The brutal transitions on a fabbri spinner

and the 4 consecutive inversions on colossus

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
the exit of Blue Fire's zero-g roll! <3

Yeah, WTF was that all about? It's such a simple element but full of all kinds of confusion.

I also loved the way Stampida splits the track at the top of the lift hill. So you're racing up the lift hill, then suddenly the other train has vanished and you're racing alongside empty track - then suddenly the other train heads straight towards you. Fantastic bit of insane design, completely out of the box thinking.

nealbie

CF Legend
furie said:
nealbie said:
the exit of Blue Fire's zero-g roll! <3

Yeah, WTF was that all about? It's such a simple element but full of all kinds of confusion.

The rockface on the left doesn't help matters either :lol: . I'd probably go so far as to say it's my all-time favourite coaster element!

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
*The top of Dragster's top hat when you can see for miles and your ears pop.
*Maverick (virtually all of it)
*Any and all transitions on I-305
*Son of Beast's loop was pretty insane
*That helix after the drop on The Beast. I know it won't but I ALWAYS feel like the train's just going to shake the structure down.
*All of Ninja at SFOG (that thing HURTS!!!)
*Mystery Mine's horseshoe turn, drop, and dive loop

Intricks

Strata Poster
Voyage from the second hill onwards. Such win.
Hulks Zero-G of win
Legend is pretty **** insane, but the helix and last turn take the cake.
The Minetrain at SFGAdv. Its last drop over the lake is such random airtime.
RFII, just pure awesomesauce
Steel Phantoms loop and batwing were pretty powerful without the trims hitting
X2 has the drop and the Zero-G for me.
Duelling Dragons loops were scary as hell when riding cause you werent really ready for the sight of the other train
Twister (Knoebles) I just remember this being so laterally intense that i thought I would have busted a rib or something.

bentcookie

Mega Poster
-TTD's launch. I still get nervous...even after about 100 rides on the thing.
-The Beast's second drop. It feels like you're dropping forever, then BAM! You hit the tunnel and then the laterals slam you to the right. The first time I rode it, I felt like the train was going to fall apart, haha.
-Maverick's first drop and first airtime hill. In the back, the drop just slings you over so hard. It is still the only coaster that makes my stomach come up into my mouth on the drop. Oh yeah and that first airtime hill...damn.
-Jack Rabbit's (Kennywood) double drop. I swear my butt came off the seat like 6".

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I'm going to throw Banshee's batwing into the conversation.

Batwings tend to have very high positive G's in the bottom between the inversions, and this is the lowest point of the course, so it should be moving awfully quick at that moment.

Sounds delicious.

spicy

Giga Poster
Rode Gwazi couple weeks ago. That thing is insane. Never been beaten up like that on any wooden coaster before, what the hells wrong with that thing?

ultradude306

Roller Poster
jolash said:
^Yeah that first low high-speed turn on Leviathan is something else.
Ya, leviathan has some pretty crazy elements. The first drop feels like it will never end, and the speed hill provides some great air. Also find the G forces in the last couple valleys of the ride to be pretty strong.

Many other rides in that park are also pretty intense as well, with the park's Togo standup being strangely intense (more intense than Leviathan IMO), with crazy high G forces and great floater/ejector airtime throughout.

Sticking with the theme of crazy Canadian rides, the Mindbender at the Edmonton mall pulls some mental Gs in the loops, and IMO is as smooth as any B&M I've rode.

Finally, I know this isn't a coaster, but I have to mention this ride, as it's actually better than a lot of coasters I've rode... The ride in question, the almighty king of the carnival from Kansas... The Chance Zipper. Yes, I know this ride looks sketchy, but looks can be deceiving. It's got Wickedly high G forces when the capsule flips over the end of the boom, and on occasion can provide some killer ejector air depending on how you're positioned during the ride. Also, on top of all this, the ride is actually very smooth (as most flats seem to be for me), and the design of the capsule allows for great freedom of movement.