What's new

Coasters That Never Came To Be

metalhead7

Mega Poster
I love seeing old ride concept ideas that never quite worked. Here's just a few I wonder if you guys have others!

I saw a recreation of this on NL Exchange and thought it was really cool, the figure 8 loop. A cool design, but too forceful

fig8loop.jpg

I know there was also plans to build a roller coaster over the golden gate bridge, but I couldn't find pictures of the designs.

So if you've got pictures, links, ect. of ride concepts that never panned out, post them here!!!!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
fish-hook-roller-coaster-statosphere.jpg

The fishhook coaster that was planned for Stratosphere Resort was supposed to be built by Arrow. Good thing it was never built.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^Yeah, that was a big one. I remember all the speculation about it and how they were gonna get the train back up the tower when it was done. That thing would have probably had to change wheels hourly...nightmare.

A

Anonymous

^ But that one happened in Taiwan this year though..

Other ones would include the massive Schwarzkopf Speed coaster that was planned for Alton Towers: CLICK

Also the Schwarzkopf Flugbahn would have been really awesome, too bad that Busch Gardens Williamsburg cancelled their during construction and ended up with an Arrow made Big Bad Wolf instead, the footers were built for the Schwarzkopf Flugbahn were reused for Big Bad Wolf, and are now to be reused for their new coaster in it's place: CLICK

Some other concepts I have seen are the Launched B&M looper to be built at Thorpe but ended up with Colossus...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
loefet said:
Some other concepts I have seen are the Launched B&M looper to be built at Thorpe but ended up with Colossus...

Any pics of said concept?

Obviously the two Arrow Pipelines that were planned before Nemesis came in at Towers... Many thanks must go towards B&M and John Wardley discovering Batman...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
When you think about it, there must be hundreds of proposed ideas that never get passed the first stages that we never even hear about.

T0M

Hyper Poster
The original plans for Jubilee Odyssey were for a coaster of around 270 feet, some 100 feet taller than its actual incarnation - that drop really would have been immense then!

Treeis

Mega Poster
John wardley was planning on making a humoungus wooden rollercoaster with a 200ft drop crossing the valley in alton towers

coasterboy

Mega Poster
I remember plans for a launched broomstick roller coaster for Alton Towers, Turbulence for Hersheypark as well as The Bigger One for Blackpool :L

Jer

Strata Poster
If anyone remembers the free falling coaster that was planned for Hershey park, that thing look pretty intense.

hersheypark_frequentfaller_1.jpg

I dont remember exactly what happened to the concept.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I think there were some design flaws im not entirely sure.

Another one I remember was when NYC was trying to get 2012? Olympics, they had proposed a rocket coaster for central park. Obviously it never happened. The Knotts hyper that was supposed to happen in 07, rocket coaster at sfmm (what is now tatsu and would have been kingda ka and height off hill would have given it some retarded extra height record, and the gci at great America in Cali or was it sfdk?

Sent from your mom's home

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
There are a TON of these out there. Disney has 100's on their own ranging from rapids rides to whole parks (Westcot and Disney America for example)

Then there's the Speed Racer for Alton
ESaltontowerscoaster01.jpg

The ride was cancelled when Tussauds (with their young designer John Wardley) took over the park in 1990 and was replaced with the plan for Nemesis. (I believe there was a cancelled plan for a pipeline on the same site as nemesis too but never seen a photo)

There is a quote from John Wardley from an Old ECC interview below

This ride was a twin track racer, where you would leave the station and race the train that left before you and then do the track and go up a parallel lift hill and race the train after you. The idea was flawed because it assumed you could dispatch trains without any delays, however this is not always the case. When we bought Alton Towers the project was ready to go ahead and we had to choose whether to press the button or not. Thankfully we decided not to build it, it would have been an operational disaster.

Also the Heide Park Giga Coaster

giga1.jpg

instead they got a near Rita clone :(

kimahri

CF Legend
Jer said:
If anyone remembers the free falling coaster that was planned for Hershey park, that thing look pretty intense.

hersheypark_frequentfaller_1.jpg

I dont remember exactly what happened to the concept.

Comic sans got in the way.

I remeber Secret Weapon 1 and 2 for Alton towers, the 2 attempts at a Pipeline coaster. I've always found them to be quite interesting.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Now I know for a fact,that when Dreamland Margate were throwing concept art ideas around for their new park,that one of them showed a Pax Cobra coaster,and the idea was that it would feature a hill that went over the entrance to the park.But I'll be damned if I can find it,and I know that it wasn't a dream. :lol:

D1993

Hyper Poster
what about that ride at hersheypark that was named turbulence? they full announced it and had plans to build it but then it just didnt go ahead. maybe their new coaster will be named turbulence?!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
roomraider said:
Also the Heide Park Giga Coaster

giga1.jpg

instead they got a near Rita clone :(

That's the first image I've ever seen of that. It sure looks wicked fun.

Another interesting ride is Raging Bull was originally supposed to be built at Six Flags St. Louis. For whatever reason, the ride switched locations to SFGAm, which ironically just got a similar shaft. I remember seeing photos where Six Flags even far enough to make merchandise promoting the ride at SFSTL.