What's new

Coasters due for the wrecking ball

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Intricks said:
^^ It has no airtime, at all, throughout the entire layout because of all the trims used.

I reckon the odds of a conversion are actually really high. Its already happened to a bunch of big old American woodies like Texas Giant and Rattler and it's time RMC start working with Cedar Fair.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ We would need to see indication first. To date, Cedar Fair has only worked with GCI in the wooden coaster department - and even then, they only built two woodies over the last seven years (Gold Striker and Renegade).

I wouldn't hold your breath on a Mean Streak revamp until we see actual conversation.

Continuing the topic of aweful, large wooden coasters - what about the Roars or Gizzly? They have provided a mushy padding for the bottom of the wooden coaster barrel for years.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ They recently reprofiled (when it closed in early 2011 or 2012) the bottom of the first drop and a couple turns that were trouble areas, but the ride has since gone back to being rough. Not as rough as it used to be, but my back was screaming to get off by midcourse (which is later than normal).

Roar at SFA was actuslly quite nice: Good airtime, nice flow. It does look like one of the lower turns recieved a bunch of new wood though, so they may have fixed a problem area during the off season.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Mean Streak gets reprofile work done every season as a part of its regular upkeep. The only difference with the off-season 2011 was that Cedar Point did an expose detailing the process.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Darren B said:
In the UK alone;

Grand National - The most brutal woodie on the planet. Time to say goodbye.
It's far from the worst woodie I've ridden, has a decent enough layout and is good fun when it's not giving one of its more unpleasant rides. It's a ride with potential, and it really needs an overhaul rather than tearing down. Re-track the thing, stick some better trains on it and give it a new lease of life.

Maybe that should be a thread in its own right - coasters that desperately need an overhaul in order to make them good.

cjbrandy said:
Another one which is past its time is the Buffalo coaster at Drayton. Needs replacing with a Vekoma mine train or something.
The "or something" being a Mack YoungStar coaster. Like the Vekomas, but smooth.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I'm sorry but Big Dipper is due for the wrecking ball. It was alright but a bit vile this August. It's always sad to see classics go but Big Dipper is an out and back coaster so a steel out and back that followed the same general path could be awesome and full of ejector hills without being too tall. Intamin or Mack would be a good choice of manufacturer for this.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^A steel out and back coaster would need to be big, to be marketable. They've already got this in the eyes of the general public.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
elephant58 said:
^A steel out and back coaster would need to be big, to be marketable. They've already got this in the eyes of the general public.

I could see it having a sponsored name e.g Xbox One: the ride to attract more attention from the media and GP.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Intricks said:
I thought they just did the normal upkeep of changing out wood.

Learn something new I guess.
icon_thumright.gif
Despit the upkeep however, it sadly doesn't discount the fact that Mean Streak is nowhere near the wooden contender it was in the 90s.

Another good wrecking ball contender is [strike]Manhattan Express[/strike] Roller Coaster at New York New York Hotel. Las Vegas is perfectly primed for a very good roller coaster, and New York New York never had one. A replacement of that Togo monstrosity would be welcomed by all. (Especially with Speed now in pieces)

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Hyde said:
Another good wrecking ball contender is [strike]Manhattan Express[/strike] Roller Coaster at New York New York Hotel. Las Vegas is perfectly primed for a very good roller coaster, and New York New York never had one. A replacement of that Togo monstrosity would be welcomed by all. (Especially with Speed now in pieces)

This is from Unencyclopedia:

In return for dropping the atomic bomb, Japan burst onto the scene with TOGO. Their Manhattan Express roller coaster in Las Vegas tries to imitate the Las Vegas Experience by luring you with hot looks, raping you and beating the **** of you, and leaving you not remembering what happened then asking for money afterwards. They are notable for creating wooden coasters out of chopsticks. In Japan, TOGO rides are smooth as glass. In America, they are smooth as broken glass.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
MouseAT said:
Darren B said:
In the UK alone;

Grand National - The most brutal woodie on the planet. Time to say goodbye.
It's far from the worst woodie I've ridden, has a decent enough layout and is good fun when it's not giving one of its more unpleasant rides. It's a ride with potential, and it really needs an overhaul rather than tearing down. Re-track the thing, stick some better trains on it and give it a new lease of life.

Maybe that should be a thread in its own right - coasters that desperately need an overhaul in order to make them good.

It's awesome - People just need to man up a bit!! :goon2:

Some more of mine:
Hero (mingoland) - just awful!
Bandit (movie park) - Shakes really badly around the whole track!
Mean streak (Cedar point) - Ditto
Any zamperla mini mouse or family gravity train.
about 80% of slcs
a good 70% of coasters with a "pinfari" label on

Darren B

Giga Poster
cjbrandy said:
I'm sorry but Big Dipper is due for the wrecking ball. It was alright but a bit vile this August. It's always sad to see classics go but Big Dipper is an out and back coaster so a steel out and back that followed the same general path could be awesome and full of ejector hills without being too tall. Intamin or Mack would be a good choice of manufacturer for this.

Big Dipper had the perfect layout for an RMC Iron Horse makeover. Would Amanda ever do it? Sadly, no.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
All of the coasters(besides Beast) that the Kings Island Manufacturing Group(and some other Dinn Corp coasters) have ever made.

Yeah, I'm looking at all of you Cedar Fair parks...

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Darren B said:
cjbrandy said:

Big Dipper had the perfect layout for an RMC Iron Horse makeover. Would Amanda ever do it? Sadly, no.

You never know but it is very unlikely and some people would complain if it was attempted because it is such a classic. Pleasure Beach should sell Ice Blast and get one of this awesome flat ride (its Vertigo at Tivoli)

6EbRnkk.jpg