What's new

Coasters After Dark & DP Opening Day

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
After having a fantastic Easter Sunday at SFGAdv (Bunny Day PTR here) we could hardly wait to get back for some nighttime riding at the Coasters After Dark event. Again the park was closed to everyone other than season pass holders, but on this Friday the skies opened up and it rained all day.
With it pouring outside and the wife home early from work to attend the event, we decided to take care of some kitchen errands instead of hitting the road toward Jackson, NJ. We went shopping for the back splash tile and by the time we found the one we wanted (3rd store of the day) the rain was subsiding. With the skies clearing, the kid & I decided we would take a chance and head south for the park.
The usual hour drive took an extra 30 minutes due to the Friday evening traffic heading out of NYC and we arrived at the park around 7:30pm (2 & 1/2 hours after opening). There was still a slight drizzle in the air, but the deserted parking lot put a smile on our faces.
As we headed to the entrance we could see that neither Kingda Ka nor El Toro were running, but at least Superman was testing. So with that side of the park basically in-op, we headed straight for Nitro. I don't think we saw more that three guests along the way & by the time we arrived at the floater all rain had ceased, so we walked right on to the back row for some airtime funness.
Next we hit up Batman for some front seat action & this time we were the only ones on the train. We hadn't seen a soul on our way over from Nitro & there was no one waiting as we departed the train, nor was there anyone within sight as we exited the ride.
Since the ride ops told us that Ka & El Toro were still both closed, we walked over to the Dark Knight's empty queue. After a 5 minute wait the doors opened & we watched the ride pre-show all by ourselves. It was starting to feel a bit weird without anyone around when the other doors opened & we headed up the ramp to the station, only to finally see about a half dozen people ahead of us. By the time we got to the top of the ramp the other guests were already gone off into the darkness. We took our turn on the trim-less dark mouse & by the time we exited the ride there was no one in sight again.
I should have taken some photos of the emptiness, but we were immediately off to the other side of the park to see what was up. With the Ferris Wheel dark & no other lights around, photos probably wouldn't have come out anyway. Along the way we passed the new Cyber Cafe, where we got a glimpse of two or three other guests inside.
IMG_7087Small.jpg

I though we would at least see a good few people at the Midway, but again there was hardly a soul in sight.
IMG_7089Small.jpg

By now it was 8pm & night was upon us.
IMG_7104Small.jpg

We could see Kingda Ka was testing & hear El Toro doing the same in the distance, so we headed for Superman.
IMG_7095Small.jpg

I can't begin to describe the eerie feeling we had from being so alone in the park after dark. Even though the queues are well lit, it's kind of creepy with no one else around.
IMG_7098Small.jpg

The train had finished it's testing & was just waiting for us to arrive.
IMG_7099Small.jpg

We had to wait a few minutes for some other riders to arrive before pulling out of the station for a front row flight.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eao1rpqEoBA[/youtube]
Since it looked like they were still testing Kingda Ka we hit up GASM next.
IMG_7102Small.jpg

The kid took the back seat & I took the front, without a soul in between.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rOi3NUo6U[/youtube]
Next it was on to Kingda Ka and our first glimpse of any real amount of people, but even this bad boy was walk-on for any seat other than the front row.
IMG_7091Small.jpg

I couldn't believe they actually had two trains running with so few people in the park, so we only had to wait for the third train to get our front row ride.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTa1IKrl9Ck[/youtube]
After the blast off into the night we headed over to El Toro & a walk-on front row ride on the Wild Bull!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMGKkYt6KjU[/youtube]
With the queue empty they were allowing riders to remain seated for another go round as long as no one was waiting to get into your row. Since there was someone waiting for the front row by the time we pulled into the station, we headed for the back of the train. We took a second to the last row ride followed by two more back row rides before heading back over to Nitro so that I could take an night time POV.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLyreYJfW7I[/youtube]
That was the last ride of the night as it was now 10pm & closing time. All-in-all it was a great night & we managed to get in quite a few rides in the 2+ hours we spent at the park.
Ride count:
El Toro 4x
Nitro 2x
Batman, Dark Night, Superman, GASM & Ka 1x

That's it for now. I'll be back in a little while to post our visit to Dorney Park's Opening Day.

Snoo

The Legend
Awesome POV's.. too bad they don't light up most of the track at night on the good coasters.. makes for a much better experience.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Having lights makes for better POVs, but I like riding in the pitch black much better. That was one of the great things about Winter Coaster Solace at Knott's, when they turned off all the lights on Ghostrider for us.

^ Personally I prefer lights on the track, and that's all thanks to my first night ride on Dragster last season. Was insane!

I wanna slap you though for getting walk-ons on everything. Must be nice!

Loved the POVs and such!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I guess you'll have to slap me twice. :wink:

The next day we were up bright & early to hit the road to Dorney Park for it's opening day. Little did we know that it would be Deja Vu all over again.
We arrived right at park opening & it was drizzling. There were only a few cars in the parking lot & no one was waiting to process their season pass.
IMG_7107Small.jpg

This was the first time we've ever had a walk-in to the season pass processing center. LOL!
IMG_7108Small.jpg

Within minutes we had our passes & we're inside the park on the way to Talon, where we found these lovely empty queues waiting for us.
IMG_7109Small.jpg

To our surprise this couple from TPR were on the train as it pulled into the station. They were also with us on SFGAdv Opening Day, waiting to be the first to ride El Toro in line behind us.
IMG_7110Small.jpg

After the first go round it stopped raining, so we took a couple more rides before we headed off to ride Hydro, only to find the same empty queues.
IMG_7111Small.jpg

After a couple more front row rides we were off to ride Voodoo or should I say Possessed.
IMG_7112Small.jpg

It might have a new name, but everything else is still the same.
IMG_7113Small.jpg

After my front seat ride the crew let me switch to the back without have to go through the queue again. The people who took the front seat were the only other people to ride the coaster besides me.
IMG_7114Small.jpg

Next to Voodoo was Laser, but now it's just a lonely empty lot. How sad. :(
IMG_7115Small.jpg

Next it was off to ride Steel Force. The kid & the wife went to use the restrooms, so I was the only person in the station.
IMG_7117Small.jpg

I actually got to ride the train all by myself.
IMG_7116Small.jpg

Christine & Aidan were waiting for me, along with a few other guests, when the trained pulled back into the station. We took two more back seat rides & headed on to Tomahawk.
IMG_7119Small.jpg

We took a front seat ride with no one else on the train, but when we pulled back into the station there were 5 people waiting to ride, so we decided to leave it at that & go get something to eat.
Since the park was so empty we went to the Perkins just down the street for lunch. I took this photo of the new billboard on the way out of the park. I've seen quite a few of these around & have to admit that I don't like the new slogan.
IMG_7120Small.jpg

We took our time eating and headed back to the park about 90 minutes later only to find that little had changed. There were about a dozen more cars in the parking lot, but it didn't seem like there were many more guests in the park.
After about another dozen or so rides on the same coasters the wife & I dragged Aidan onto Woodstock's Express, but the kid wouldn't let me take any incriminating photos of him on the kiddie coaster.
By now it was just after three o'clock & we had our fill of the rides, so we hit the road for home to continue work on the kitchen. I can honestly say that I have never experienced back-to-back days like this before & I doubt I'll ever do so again.
It'll be interesting to see what the queues are like when furie & I go to these parks this week.

Okay, that's it Jerry.. You better watch out next month at the Live haha.

Seriously, that's SOO awesome, unlike the new slogan, which is whack.

Brookes

Giga Poster
Brilliant trip report, can't believe how empty two great parks can be. The photos and POVs are awesome and I can't believe how much you did in the amount of time you had at Six Flags Great Adventure. I would love to go there one day.

Ben

CF Legend
jokerman said:
I'm so jealous. Why is it that whenever you're at a park, everything is walk-on?

People hear he's coming and make plans to avoid the parks :wink:

I miss Talon :'(. Hydra? Not so much :p

peep

CF Legend
Wow, another great trip report. To have both those parks pretty much to yourselves is so cool. All those staff members in that pass booth look like they don't know what to do with themselves.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I know what you mean to be in a park after dark, with nobody in it, but you were in the park when it was open. That is a once in a lifetime(well, not for you...lol) experience. I wish I could do the same.

Dorney doesn't look too different from a normal day of operation though.

A

Anonymous

That's amazing you had both parks to yourself. Great pictures and POVs!