Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - doesn't enter my mind

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
We all read or hear about various coaster or flat ride incidents that involve serious injuries or even fatalities, so I was wondering if these have any influence on whether you would ride a coaster or flat ride that such an incident occurred on?
I know that no one seemed to hesitate riding Cobra at Tivoli Friheden at the last Euro Live in spite of all the discussion we had beforehand surrounding the incident.
I personally have ridden a few coasters where fatal accidents have occurred in the past without really thinking about it such as SFOG's Batman, Playland Park's Dragon, Moreys Pier's Great Nor'Easter, SFMM's Revolution & Ninja, WDW's Rock n Rollercoaster & Boulder Dash, but all of these deaths were either not on ride (jumping fences to retrieve loose articles) or were employees (not following proper procedures) or medical related (heart condition, choking on gum, etc.).
However I have also ridden many that did involve mechanical failures that resulted in fatal incidents such as Kings Dominion's Shockwave (& Galaxi after it was moved to Myrtle Beach), SFNE's Superman, Knott's Perlious Plunge, WDW's Splash Mountain, WoF's Timber Wolf, Coney Island's Cyclone, SFGAdv's Lightnin' Loops & Rolling Thunder & Disneyland's Matterhorn.
Then there are many, many more where serious injuries occurred that I've also jumped right on. However there is the odd one or two that I would give second thought to before riding, such as the now defunct Superman drop tower at SFKK or the Sky Rocket at the Oktoberfest (even though the incident involved another Sky Rocket & there were luckily no injuries).
So after all that, my specific questions are:
Do you think about such things before riding anything involved in such incidents?
Do those incidents stop you from riding?
Are you more afraid when riding such rides/coasters?
Do some bother you while others don't (as is the case with me)?

kimahri

CF Legend
Not really, I just ride the things...

I got the Treetop Twister at LWV and at my last visit with my cousins and autie I just blurted out that someone died on it and even than I was like. Meh...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Not one bit.

Do I think twice before getting into/driving a car? Never. A plane? Not a chance. I don't honestly see why this is any different.

I guess it might just be my general attitude to things, but I really don't see why it should bother anyone. If it'd killed ever rider who'd ever ridden it, then I might think twice, but really, these are just freak ACCIDENTS. **** happens. I'd like to think I'm educated enough to be able to see there is no real risk with any of this.

If I was to die? Well to be honest, I could die being hit by a bus crossing the road to Uni on Monday. Stuff like this should never stop you doing things. If it does, then I think you're a bit... dumb.

Coasterfiend

Roller Poster
Accidents

Coaster accidents are almost always never the ride's fault. It's usually some thoughtless juvenile that isn't aware of what the price to pay is for such actions. Its not like i am saying they deserve to get hurt, but all causes have effects (learned that in first grade ;) ).

Lofty

CF Legend
I do sometimes think about it but it doesn't bother me in the slightest really. I'm totally in the thought in life that you're going to go some day so it may as well be doing something you love..

Nic

Strata Poster
I think about it a bit, but it kinda depends on what the accident was. If it occurred because of something the guest did, then it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. If it was due to mechanical error, then I'm of the opinion that they would have checked the ride so closely after the accident before re-opening that it's probably the safest its ever been. If its down to operator error, then that's a little bit different, but again, they're going to make changes to try and ensure that nothing like that can happen again in the future.

But no, I don't think an accident would stop me waning to ride something. As people have already said, **** happens. If it ends up happening when you're on the ride, then so be it. You're gonna go eventually one day anyway, so you might as well have fun in the meantime.

KDGrizzly4Life

Mega Poster
It really depends on the severity of the accident and the nature of the incident. Rarely rides malfunction on their own. It's usually ride ops (shame, shame) or mechanics who screw up. I mean, I will totally ride Pony Express when I get out to to LA next summer, regardless of the apparent screw up.

Ben

CF Legend
No, it doesn't bother me. We just make offensive jokes about the accidents most of the time <3

nadroJ

CF Legend
No, in fact, I quite enjoy the thrill of thinking I'm about to die on a ride. I especially get it on woodies for some reason, I'll be going around the track like 'weeee!' then my brain goes 'omgwhatifthetraincomesoffthetrack?!?!!' and then I spend the rest of the ride with my adrenaline pumping even faster.

Give me more wood.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Not one bit! Statistically speaking, we all know that rides are extremely safe. If I happened to die on a ride, so what? I died doing something I loved!

Do you think about such things before riding anything involved in such incidents?

No, because half the time I don't even know that an accident has occurred on the ride. I had no clue Shockwave at Kings Dominion resulted in loss of life, but I rode that. Same with Rock n' Roller Coaster, etc. I don't feel the need to look up accidents before I go to a park.

Do those incidents stop you from riding?

Not unless the accident was recurring or something, but to this date, no.

Are you more afraid when riding such rides/coasters?

Once again, I barely know about coaster accidents, but I suppose there might be a creepy aura if there were a lot of deaths or something.

Do some bother you while others don't (as is the case with me)?

If it was one's own stupidity, it's sad they died but it's less bothersome than someone dying as a result of a mechanical failure or medical condition that they were unaware of.

Error

Strata Poster
Attempt 2...

No, I think mostly because of me working at Six Flags and Cedar Point. I'm actually surprised about how many people get hurt at Six Flags, as their training and safety procedures are pretty detailed: must be able to work kiddies, have to read the entire manual, have to take a test and pass with 100%.

Cedar Point: here's the manual, here's your ride. Happy Hosting!

In all seriousness, it doesn't bother me. I rode Batman at SFoG the day it reopened in 2008, and still loved it

Mike

Giga Poster
I'ld feel pretty apprehensive about riding any of the flat ides at Tibidabo after one of their rides actually fell down last year, and if I don't feel safe on a ride then I could get pretty worried about it.
Basically, if a ride looks safe, and I feel safe, then I wouldn't be too bothered about any previous accidents on that ride.