What's new

Coaster Element Video Glossary?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Apologies if this is an ancient question, but is there a site out there with a video glossary (a compilation of clips) illustrating all the terms for coaster elements (Immelmann, pretzel roll, etc.)? It's something I'd enjoy, yet I haven't seen such a thing yet.

Thanks!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
If you check out our YouTube page, you'd notice a series of videos labeled the 'Table of Elements' which is very similar to what you want.

We are working on something to port to the website, but we still need to finish some more videos before we can get it up and running.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
If you check out our YouTube page, you'd notice a series of videos labeled the 'Table of Elements' which is very similar to what you want.

We are working on something to port to the website, but we still need to finish some more videos before we can get it up and running.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
Thank you for that. Yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind -- and the vids are very well made to boot! This is just ten elements, and I was thinking of something a bit more comprehensive, but this series is great, so, again, thank you.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thank you for that. Yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind -- and the vids are very well made to boot! This is just ten elements, and I was thinking of something a bit more comprehensive, but this series is great, so, again, thank you.
@Hyde and I are currently working through a second set of ten videos, which we're hoping to have done in a month or so. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, it takes quite a bit of time to put these together (writing, recording and editing), so it's a slow program. We currently have slots allocated for around 50 videos, although that will take many years to finish (and will likely be continually expanded).

As GWAS said, we're also looking into getting an interactive page up and running on the site, but at the moment that's proving technically quite difficult and we don't really have enough videos to justify all the effort... yet!

Glad you like them though, it's good to hear that they're well received.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
@Hyde and I are currently working through a second set of ten videos, which we're hoping to have done in a month or so. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, it takes quite a bit of time to put these together (writing, recording and editing), so it's a slow program. We currently have slots allocated for around 50 videos, although that will take many years to finish (and will likely be continually expanded).

As GWAS said, we're also looking into getting an interactive page up and running on the site, but at the moment that's proving technically quite difficult and we don't really have enough videos to justify all the effort... yet!

Glad you like them though, it's good to hear that they're well received.
Yes, I enjoyed them, and I think they're pretty impressively assembled. You have another fan, and that's great news to me that more will follow -- fifty terms logged would be especially amazing!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The plan is actually to go more down the "informational guide" route, covering things like manufacturers, materials, special track systems (launches, transfer track, etc) and mechanics (blocks, g-forces, etc).

We have a much more comprehensive glossary (although not in video form) on the site, here: http://coasterforce.com/glossary/

As you'll see, many of these don't lend themselves to videos "Big Boy Seat" and "In Storage" for example, but lots of the components of coasters will be covered in one way or another by the Table of Elements series.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
The plan is actually to go more down the "informational guide" route, covering things like manufacturers, materials, special track systems (launches, transfer track, etc) and mechanics (blocks, g-forces, etc).

We have a much more comprehensive glossary (although not in video form) on the site, here: http://coasterforce.com/glossary/

As you'll see, many of these don't lend themselves to videos "Big Boy Seat" and "In Storage" for example, but lots of the components of coasters will be covered in one way or another by the Table of Elements series.
It seems to me that there are a lot of elements terms still to be covered, but I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever you come up with.
And yes, I've seen the site glossary, but I noticed it largely avoids elements terminology.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It seems to me that there are still a LOT of elements terms still to be covered, but I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever you come up with.
And yes, I've seen the site glossary, but I noticed it largely avoids elements terminology.

There is a section on-site for inversions as well. It covers a lot of coaster elements, as most of the elements are indeed inversions. As far as I can tell, the elements it doesn't yet feature are mostly marketing one-offs, where some park or other decide to put their own name on a semi-unique piece of coaster track (Maverick's "Horseshoe Roll" comes to mind, effectively it's just a pair of zero-G-rolls/corkscrew with a 180 degree turn in between). The list isn't exhaustive (doesn't tell the difference between a corkscrew or a flat spin, for instance - not that most people even notice there is a difference), but it should cover most of what you need to know.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
That
There is a section on-site for inversions as well. It covers a lot of coaster elements, as most of the elements are indeed inversions. As far as I can tell, the elements it doesn't yet feature are mostly marketing one-offs, where some park or other decide to put their own name on a semi-unique piece of coaster track (Maverick's "Horseshoe Roll" comes to mind, effectively it's just a pair of zero-G-rolls/corkscrew with a 180 degree turn in between). The list isn't exhaustive (doesn't tell the difference between a corkscrew or a flat spin, for instance - not that most people even notice there is a difference), but it should cover most of what you need to know.
That I had not seen -- thanks! Looks nice.
No Stengel dive, though?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
That I had not seen -- thanks! Looks nice.
No Stengel dive, though?

It appears only to list elements where you go fully upside down. The Stengel Dive is a sort of half-inversion, the categorization of which usually ends in heated debates where a certain black and yellow chart is often brought out. @furie can fill you in, if need be.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
It appears only to list elements where you go fully upside down. The Stengel Dive is a sort of half-inversion, the categorization of which usually ends in heated debates where a certain black and yellow chart is often brought out. @furie can fill you in, if need be.
LOL -- OK, thanks for the help.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Surely he's too young to be subjected to "The Diagram?" It isn't right! Won't anybody think of the children???

Okay, made with love, a little science and a complete lack of skill:
inversions.jpg