What's new

Clacton Pier - The History.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I was looking yesterday at a "Guide Page" Mushroom wrote for me of Clacton Pier (I'm still working on it Mushy :lol: )

It's a pretty desperate place; run down with very few rides. I think we've all seen piers like it, and we can see some heading that way again (looking at Ollie/Maddie's recent trip report).

However, Clacton Pier was once a thriving, exciting, fantastic hub of excitement and entertainment. We're talking something really quite special.

A guy called "The Chief Engineer" has undertaken a project to release historical photos from the Clacton Pier archive and produce a "potted history" of the pier.

It contains details about boat trips, the swimming pool, attractions and even construction of the "Steel Stellar" hybrid coaster.

I wish more and more people had the opportunity to do this kind of thing, I really do.

If you've got any kind of interest in "amusement history" a little step away from the typical Theme Park style, this is well worth having a read of. There are also architectural plans and all kinds. Fantastic... Oh, but beware, here there be clowns... ;)

http://www.joylandbooks.co.uk/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
furie said:
(I'm still working on it Mushy :lol: )

Bull **** Furie :lol: Besides will need updating after a few new additions =p

Nice article there Furie, very interesting!