What's new

Cinema: Make or Break the movie?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I can't stand Cinema's in the first place, and avoid them at best. Even in the 'spacey' Deluxe seats in Cineworld, my feet touch the seat infront and the padding is torn.

Personally, I prefer to sit at home with a DVD and a cuppa, surround sound, of course.

Snoo

The Legend
^It only bothers me if it is tremendously loud.. like talking on them. I occasionally check my phone, but I do put it on silent and don't have it out long.

I love the theater when I can go. Some movies just feel so much better when you see it on the big screen rather then at home. Star Trek, for instance, was definitely one of those movies.

Ali

Mega Poster
I have smuggled in a large McChicken sandwich meal before! :--D
The only thing that I hate about the cinema is how hugely expensive everything is, £2.50 for a Medium Coke **** that!

mrclam

Giga Poster
SnooSnoo said:
^It only bothers me if it is tremendously loud.. like talking on them. I occasionally check my phone, but I do put it on silent and don't have it out long.

GAAH!!! DARN YOU!

Why cant you wait until the end of the movie?

Your social life cant be THAT interesting that you need to be contactable at every given bloody minute of the day?

here i am, watching the screen, getting bought into the movie.. then pow - out of the corner of my eye i see a white light - some a-hole is checking their f-ing phone.

wash

Mega Poster
The cinema beats watching a movie at home by a mile. The resolution is higher, the sound is amazing, the screen is bigger etc. Watching a movie at a theater is also much more immersive, which really makes action, suspense, and horror movies more effective. If there some idiot in the theater that won't shut up, then that can definitely kill your enjoyment of the film, but that usually isn't a problem at my local cinema.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
I'm an avowed cinema freak - seen approx. 1500 films at the cinema, and I dislike seeing a decent film on DVD first (crap ones are fine :p).

I still occasionally do a Peep and cram as many films into 1 day as possible! (in Cardiff, since they'll show the esoteric stuff too).

However, it can go wrong - last night's Harry Potter featured the noisiest easting couple ever, how the hell can two people make so much noise with popcorn in a box? SHUT UP FOR ****'S SAKE!!!!

I do suffer Cinema Rage :).

I had to tell an old couple to shut up during Angels & Demons - it's an immensely stupid film, but they were worse. Does it not occur to them that they're in a big room WITH OTHER PEOPLE IN IT dfkjughdbghjsdfds.

Apart from the old Castle Cinema in Swansea (still there but been a Laserquest for 18 years, last film I saw there was Batman), my favourite cinema is the Cineworld at Xscape in Milton Keynes - the posh screens (not just seats, screens) are just awesome, and I saw so many films in there. Author Shaun Hutson agrees with me, he dedicates his books to it! :lol:

A bad cinema can pretty much ruin a film though. Think the worst I've been in was at Chester, okay it was only The Italian Job remake, but it was like watching a film in someone's basement.

Being too loud is bad too. I had to complain at the Swansea Vue about Drag Me To Hell, was so loud it physically hurt.

Furie said:
(5:20 p.m. showing at UCI in Telford).
Saw Apollo 13 there in....1995? Was fine then ^_^ (awesome film).

nadroJ said:
^I smuggled in a large pizza from Pizza Hut :p
TWO large pizzas to watch Mulholland Drive :lol:.

Rach

Giga Poster
I love going to the cinema and would much rather watch films there than at home.

A few years ago, I was going every couple of days to the cinema, but that soon stopped and I don't go as much as what I'd like to.

I have a choice of 4 cinemas all about the same distance away (5 if I really want to travel a bit) and I prefer the AMC one over Odeon, Cineworld and Empire.

I've always found with the Odeon in Birmingham that the seating is pants. The seats are horrid and worn out and worst of all is that the seats aren't actually in stadium seating and are either on a flat floor or slightly inclined.

Although the one in Blackpool we went to before the Live was much better, I still had to slouch to see the screen (but that was the closeness of the screen).
Then when fatty sat in front of me with a huge flower in her hair scoffing her McDonalds. I wanted to stuff the McDonalds in her face.
She was annoying.

The Cineworld and Empire are both the same in my eyes. The floors are always sticky and there is always a great lack of leg room so your knees get in the way of the film.

Though the AMC I love! There are only two of them in the UK (Birmingham and Manchester) and I'm glad they built one here. The cinema itself is the cheapest I've been to. (£4 before 5pm and £5.60 after).
Not many people know about it really as it's hidden around a corner which always makes it nice and quiet.
There's always plenty of leg room wherever you sit, decent sized products and the screens are HUGE. Even the screen in the smallest one is large and perfect for watching Spongebob on. :lol:

The only thing I dislike about the cinemas is other peoples noises. Crunching your popcorn too loudly, slurping on your drink too loudly, being ignorant and talking through the whole thing, snogging the face of your boyfriend/girlfriend making the chairs squeak more than necessary.

Couple of years ago, went to the cinema to see The Pacifier (PG) and there were two people on the very back row (I was 3 rows from the back) making love it was horrendous to have to sit and listen to.