What's new

Chinese cultural park... Rotherham???

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
CHINESE CULTURAL PARK, ROTHERHAM, UK

Yes, our minds are boggled too. We're not sure why Rotherham, South Yorkshire is getting the World's First Chinese Cultural Park either, but it is.

Investors have put forward £100 million into the venture and Rotherham council think approval will be quick and the park could potentially be open in as little as 18 months time.

Along with gardens, lake, theatre, pagoda, etc there is also talk of Rollercoasters. NOW we're excited!

If planning goes through, this could create over 500 jobs for the area.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/ ... _1_3659732

walker1104

Mega Poster
I heard about this on the local news last night. I live about 10 minutes away from Rotherham. I'm not sure what to expect from it really. Or why they picked Rotherham of all the places it could have been built :lol:

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I love the idea of a Chinese cultural park. China is the leading global power in terms of trade and production of goods. It's important that people in the UK start learning more about our Asian cousins. Just what the hell is it doing in Rotherham?!!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I can only assume they looked at where the most Chinese take-aways were bought in the country and Rotherham held the record by a mile ;)

jokerman

Giga Poster
Oh dear, why do I get the feeling this'll be a huge disappointment. Probably because of the whole Rotherham thing.

Still, good luck to whoever it is trying to make this happen, prove me wrong.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not convinced by the idea of the park in that area, but in terms of accessibility, Rotherham is actually in a good position. The biggest issue though is, well... You don't think of Rotherham when combined with the words "nice day out". I've done family stuff over there and have friends there and it's actually not a bad place, it's just not quite what you'd perceive as a high quality tourist destination.

It also looks a bit like a bit of everything in one park. Meaning it'll just be a lot of stuff done half arsed, rather than doing one thing very well. I imagine the coasters will be kiddie coasters in an amusement area the size of a large house.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm expecting a Dragon coaster.

I think I'll give the Tienanmen Square Experience ride a miss though.

Tianasquare.jpg

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Since I live in Rotherham myself i'd love to have a theme park with coasters built in my hometown, the park would be easy to access for others too since it's so close to the M1. A wooden coaster design could really compliment the Chinese theming too. But despite that I don't think the park will ever include rides, at least I don't want to build my hopes up thinking they will.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Wigan were after this and I was involved with their bid, but their plans didn't include rides at all. There was going to be temples, restaurants, and plenty of green space with performance areas but mainly it was a business park. I'd be surprised if there's any rides installed at all, let alone big coasters - but then, maybe that's why Wigan didn't succeed!

Brett7710

Mega Poster
At first I thought it wouldn't include rides, but then again I think the park would be more likely to succeed in the area if it did. I can't see that many people paying to stroll around a themed area when there are already many scenic spots in the county that are free to enter. If the park relies on the retail and resteraunt aspect I think it will still struggle, but a few good quality attractions could be the difference maker. Since the Cheif Exec used to have a high level job at Alton Towers i'm sure he's well aware of the target audience and he'll turn to his past experience when deciding how to draw in the crowds.