What's new

China Now Building Knockoff Boomerangs

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I just spotted this on RCDB:

http://rcdb.com/12246.htm

I would've thought that this would've been a coaster type they would've tackled before, but then realised that Vekoma Boomerangs have only been in the country a couple of years after Fantawild ordered a bunch of them for their parks. It seems that Fantawild are doing a Happy Valley, and allowing the Chinese knockoff companies to have access to their rides in order to clone them.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Ah yes. Lewa World. Also currently known as knock off kingdom. Although the footers have just gone in for the Mack mega coaster

Some pics of the Boomerang

newt2.jpg

newt4.jpg

newt5.jpg

TilenB

Strata Poster
Boomerangs are far better with lap-bars only. I wonder why more parks don't order those fab Sunkid trains, they are massively better than anything Vekoma/Arrow has ever came up with.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Why does China always knock off Vekoma and not a better quality company, say, B&M? Then again, a Chinese B&M hyper would be horrible!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Why does China always knock off Vekoma and not a better quality company, say, B&M? Then again, a Chinese B&M hyper would be horrible!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

This is a really good question! I've wondered too.

I think it might be because the knock off Vekoma track is easier and cheaper to produce?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Let's get back on topic....

I've only ridden Speed of Sound and while I did like it, I do think it would be much better with lapbars. I'm quite interested with what trains they'll give this coaster. Are the SLC rip off trains similar to their Vekoma counterparts?

mcgoughchris

Mega Poster
Snoo said:
What in the hell is going on?

I understand why you're surprised. Why would they go to the effort of cloning something that isn't popular or reputable...

Must be low cost! Scandalous though

TilenB

Strata Poster
ThomVD said:
Let's get back on topic....

I've only ridden Speed of Sound and while I did like it, I do think it would be much better with lapbars. I'm quite interested with what trains they'll give this coaster. Are the SLC rip off trains similar to their Vekoma counterparts?

I don't know how the SLC knock-off trains look like.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^^^I'll bet you a night with your sister that they're the bog standard 1990's Vekoma restraints. I can't see them going all out with the new, more costly restraints.

Not that I really care tbh. I'm too basic to ever travel to Mainland Asia for mediocre creds.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Why do companies sell rides to Chinese parks? Surely they know they're selling access to knock-off companies?

Unless they've made the decision that Hebei Zhongye Metallurgical Equipment Manufacturing Co., Ltd isn't likely to ever sell a ride outside China and one contract is better than no contract?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Guywithastick said:

Golden Horse actually do a offer a knockoff B&M flyer model, a Superman clone I think, which was obviously supplied to them through Happy Valley, but no park has bought one yet. You can bet that if a Happy Valley or Fantawild park ever got a B&M hyper, Golden Horse would offer one within a couple of years.

There are, basically, two kinds of knockoffs in China: those that were knocked off without access to the genuine coasters, and so aren't identical, and those that are basically the exact same as the originals.

The first category includes most of the SLCs that you see. They're clearly a knockoff of Vekoma's concept, but they have their own layouts. However, there are also the Golden Horse models, which are a direct ripoff of the Kumali clone, no doubt because Happy Valley must have given them access to their rides in Shenzhen and Beijing. The direct ripoffs - which are what Golden Horse tend to do mostly - are basically indistinguishable from the the real thing. Their spinners look and ride exactly like the original Maurer model, as do their mine trains which are an exact copy of Vekoma's.

The current Boomerangs in China have the newer, vest restraints. However, this knockoff is being produced by Beijing Shibaolai. When they knocked-off the Maurer Sky Loop model, they didn't use the orginal lapbar design, instead just shoving regular OTSRs onto it. They seem to pay less attention to detail than Golden Horse. I'm assuming they'll do the same with their Boomerang.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Off topic: I get there seems to be a serious hatred of one member, but the singling out and bullying of the guy for weeks feels very tprish.

On topic: This is a lot like gay marriage. Sure it seems unfair that you cant have boomerangs, but is it really worth the agony? :)

Full disclosure, I 100% support equal and marriage and rights in general.

STC

Mega Poster
Why do the proper companies build for Fantawild and Happy Valley, if they know that those parks will just assist other companies in ripping them off?

Sod the normal Boomerang, someone needs to clone the GIB. There can never be enough GIBs. <3

Tomatron

Giga Poster
The knock-off Sky Loop at Chuanlord Manor was actually better than the normal Sky Loops that Maurer build! Was expecting to come off with 2 broken ribs and internal bruising but it was great!

But I can't imagine a knock-off Boomerang will be anything but awful.