What's new

Children In Need

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Anybody watch it? Do anything for it? Give a ****?

jokerman

Giga Poster
No. It is boring and it has been shown that it doesn't raise any more money for charity than they would get anyway.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I gave a quid to wear what I'd normally wear for 6th form today, and I was only in school for an hour. I am watching it as I always do and because there is jack **** on TV.

I do my bit.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yup - I LOVE Children In Need and the concept behind it. Call me heartless but I really can't doing with giving my money away to foreign efforts that we haven't a clue about - but when it comes to disadvantaged children in OUR country who deserve as much as everyone else living here but simply don't have; then they can have a tenner from me every year without fail!

In fact - so devoted to this cause am I that a couple of years ago I dressed up as Pudsey and walked around college and the streets of Farnham raising over £200 in 6 hours!

n508617265_1122707_4510.jpg

n508617265_1122709_5079.jpg

Just watched Take That steal the show as well! <3

kimahri

CF Legend
nealbie said:

KILL IT! KILLLL IIIIT!

THE EYES!!!! EMPTY AND SOULESS!!!

Any way, there's this bint at work who was getting money for charity and **** from her tuck shop, but she's a bint so I went to the nearest newshop and completely ignored her. I think the amount of sweets and **** I bought there instead of the fridge has killed about 40 africans and possibly a homeless kid or 2.

I don't really give a **** either. Any time Terry Wogan is not in his moleskin pants of lolz does not deserve my attention.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
One thing I've noticed working for Hampshire over the last six months is that charity stuff no longer plays a role.

Every year come CiN/Comic Relief, we've had events - "non-uniform day" (although we don't have a uniform), cake sales, fancy dress stuff, sponsored events etc - but we've had nothing like that since May.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had the worst collection for a while this year.

Anyway, I did jack ****. Didn't donate a penny. Tbh, I didn't even realise it was on until I switched on the telly this evening. I can't even recall reading about it in the papers.

I watched the East Street spoof and thought that was well written. I LOLd a few times (wine talking?) but I'm not interested in it at all.

Once The BBC News presenters have done their dance, the telly goes off.

nealbie

CF Legend
The bit that was just on the tele..... THAT'S what it's all about! <3

All childen in the UK deserve at least what we'd consider basic things in life!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think children in need, as a tv event, is one of those quintessentially british things that you have to watch even though its utter crap because you've always watched it.

I think the last time I donated was at high school, likely for a mufty day.

I rarely, if ever, donate money to charity and if I was going to it certainly wouldn't be one so mass media crazy. It actually scares me how much money they raise every year and you think about all the charities who struggle and you think ugh.

Children in need is one of those social YOU SHOULD CAAAAARE things forced down your throat, like Poppy Day and that pisses me off quite a bit.

kimahri

CF Legend
Joey said:
I think children in need, as a tv event, is one of those quintessentially british things that you have to watch even though its utter crap because you've always watched it.

I just think it's utter crap in general. I don't think I've ever watched one all the way through actually...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Joey said:
Children in need is one of those social YOU SHOULD CAAAAARE things forced down your throat, like Poppy Day and that pisses me off quite a bit.
Well, you should care about poppy day as it remembers those that were FORCED though subscription to fight for YOUR freedom and current way of life. You wouldn't fight for this country voluntarily (and neither would I) and you'd probably be all girly if you were FORCED to by law. Millions of people have died so you can live the life you want to. Show those people some bloody respect will you?

Going back to CiN, the New Presenters were rubbish. Louie Spence made me laugh - he's such a poof, it's great! - but there was a lack of seductive hip shaking and tight costumes for my liking. Although Fiona Bruce did look quite hot and certainly started to move rhythmically at one point.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ian said:
Joey said:
Well, you should care about poppy day as it remembers those that were FORCED though subscription to fight for YOUR freedom and current way of life. You wouldn't fight for this country voluntarily (and neither would I) and you'd probably be all girly if you were FORCED to by law. Millions of people have died so you can live the life you want to. Show those people some bloody respect will you?
Saying what people should or shouldn't care about is flawed though. You can't force people to care. It's not that I don't care, anyway, care is perhaps the wrong word. It's that... There are more important contemporary issues to worry about that people ignore and yet everyone gets hung up over poppy day. Remember the complaints to the BBC about someone not wearing a poppy? It's just disgusting. It's missing the point. If people don't care off their own back, then it's contrived. And most people don't really care, they pretend to.

And it's the same with Children in need.

peep

CF Legend
I do usually watch it, but only for the comical random scenes in amongst the masses of boring turd. This year I've decided not to watch it and I've sat watching classic Harry Enfield and Fast show sketches instead, I think I made the right choice.

I completely agree with Joey on the whole charity thing. If I was to donate money to a charity it would be one I can relate to.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Joey said:
Saying what people should or shouldn't care about is flawed though. You can't force people to care. It's not that I don't care, anyway, care is perhaps the wrong word. It's that... There are more important contemporary issues to worry about that people ignore and yet everyone gets hung up over poppy day.
I agree with that statement to some extent. I have no right to say what you should/not care about, but I think that the potential (and/or ultimate) sacrifice forced upon so many, is something that should never be forgotten or effortlessly dismissed.

Modern day worries are naturally more relevant, as were the "modern day" worries of 90/70 years ago. I'd like to think that future generations will look back fondly on our present day "suffering" for the great time that they will be enjoying in the future. History shapes the society in which we live in.

Children in Need is not a charity that I personally support, but the Royal Legion is.

nealbie

CF Legend
With regards to November 11th, whilst Joey's allowed to not care (it's his choice after all) - he's wrong, but perfectly entitled to be so.

And whilst I also agree that it shouldn't be forced either, in my opinion it's one of those automatic things that you have respect for without even having to think about it.

In lighter news - the Hairy Bikers "Bat Out Of Hell" is still bloody hilarious! :lol:

nadroJ

CF Legend
I hate charity of any kind, if I feel I want to give to something, I'll do it in my own way, not be pressured by nobheads on the street dressed like Superman or a fat girl dressed as Snow White begging me for 'a minute of your time' whilst shaking a bucket in my face (examples from Southampton high street there for anyone who cares).

The thing that always gets brought up (and should, in my opinion) is why, after however many years things like Children in Need and Comic Relief have been going, do we still see the same videos of children dying in Africa and people needing help over and over again. Surely that's proof that the charity isn't really helping stop the problems as they just come back and repeat themselves every year? I'm not saying that that is what happens, I'd just like to see some proof that all these events actually work because as it stands, I'm not entirely convinced they do, hence my apprehension at giving a quid or two away.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I don't care for Charity unless its something I may gain something from one day, like Cancer Research UK for example. Hate any Africa ones. No matter how much money gets pissed on it, the country will not be changed. I don't like hearing about money leave our UK economy for no good reason.

Still ended up watching this though... untill Good Luck Chuck came on.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
The only thing I saw of Children in Need was the Come Dine With Me special with the Dragons - which was very good as I love CDWM :D

After that I switched off and went to bed!

nealbie

CF Legend
In a way, I'm sort of really disgusted that we, as a nation, don't care about the impoverished children in the UK!

I mean, I could understand not giving a **** about the unfortunates in Africa and the 3rd World because we all have no idea and can't relate. But to not give a damn about kids who don't even have a washing machine, or hot water, or bedbug free beds and other basic commodities really is ****ing awful on your parts. Shame on CF!

Some of the people who have posted against it I'm actually quite shocked at too! :shock:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The problem is that we should all want to give money to "good causes". What we think is a good cause will vary between individuals. But the problem is, we "should"... but we don't, and most people need someone dressed as superman on the street or atrocious 6 hour TV shows to make us. Sad reality.

In another example of why CiN is annoying, Cancer Research is also annoying. Cancer Research, I think, is a far more valid cause than CiN, which is a far more valid cause than the Royal Leigon... But Cancer Research UK is (like the other two examples) a media heavy charity, whilst other medical illnesses go ignored with barely any supporters bar those effected.

Charity is like anything else, it needs advertising to make people pay attention to it.

EDIT: This is just me being ignorant, but I'd like to know how the children featured on CiN are in the poverty they are in. It is disgusting that someone can be in that kind of poverty in a country as rich as the UK, but it begs the question how did it happen. Never gets explained.

nealbie

CF Legend
You can't slam successful organisations for being media heavy and then say that charities need to advertise to be successful. That's just double standards. :p

Also, if you paid full attention to the plea sections and dramatisations, instead of just waiting for the next humorous section of entertainment, you'd find the enlightenment and insight that you seek.

I've already agreed that you shouldn't feel forced to care; and I further agree that it's unfortunate that CiN is mainly known for the annual television appeal - but hey, don't bite the hand that feeds you! ;)