What's new

Chessington named No.1

thorpecrazy

Roller Poster
Following a rip-roaring year in 2010, staff at Chessington World of Adventures are celebrating as the Surrey resort has been crowned UK Theme Park of the Year in the Theme Park and Visitor Attractions Awards 2010.

The award-winning resort undertook huge developments in 2010, including new ride, Kobra, and the opening of new ‘lands’ Wild Asia and the Africa-themed Wanyama Village & Reserve. As well as achieving record-breaking visitor growth numbers and industry-leading guest feedback scores in 2010, Chessington was also named Best Theme Park for Customer Service.

Chief Explorer, David Smith, said: "At Chessington, every day is a new adventure, but this fantastic accolade proves that the hard work, dedication, and endless passion of all our staff has really paid off. We are all extremely proud to be a part of “Britain’s Wildest Adventure”, but to be crowned the UK’s number 1 theme park realises our wildest dreams."

http://www.themeparks-uk.com/chessingto ... -no.1.html

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Why?

Chessie have certainly pushed the interaction thing quite a lot this year...

Also with the minimal breaking down of rides and stuff, people aren't having days where the main rides are buggered...

Now Merlin need to take note and actually bloody invest...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I was just on the verge of creating a "Is Chessington Really That Good?" topic, but I suppose I can just hijack this one.

I don't get it. It seems that, as a general site rule, everyone bums Chessington. It's as if it's almost become CF's "pet" park, and I just really don't get it. At all.

The rides are mediocre, the theming is nowhere near as good as people try to make it out to be, and the "amazing" atmosphere that always gets shouted about really isn't there. I've enjoyed it the twice I've been there, but that's been due to the people I've been there with; the park itself is less than nothing special.

So what exactly is it that's seemingly turned it into CF's UK park of choice?

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
^ I think the reason why it became that is due to most of us having been there in the 90's as kids. And now we have found some new respect for what they are doing at the park. I went there quite a few times when I was younger as it was a step up from Thorpe (at the time) to something more major before going onto the most major stuff like Disney. They have the right balance of thrills and relaxed rides. If I had the choice of visiting a park on my own between Thorpe (nowadays) and Chessie, I would pick Chessie hands down. Just has that better atmosphere, and greenery, which makes it more relaxed.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
Well it's certainly got a nicer atmosphere than Thorpe and it's probably in nicer surroundings, though I do like the lake 'view' around Thorpe (shame that once you're on the 'island' it feels nothing like an island).

As for having the right balance, well that's pretty much the reason for my first comment, I don't think it does, it doesn't have any thrilling rides; it does have a lot of average rides though.

Essentially I see it as an average park, it's probably great for families with young kids, but I'm not in that demographic so I see it as average. Sure it's a nice place (surroundings) it's reasonably chilled out, though hordes of screaming children are not fun. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the staff though I find them as friendly as Alton towers (which IMO is a good thing).

But theme park of the year? I just don't see it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The criteria for the parks to win were Park growth, Customer growth and Customer Service...

Tbh, that says it all as to why Chessie actually won it...

Enicomb

Mega Poster
In that case I would say the title of the award is wrong. Best Theme park those criteria do not make.

marc

CF Legend
I am happy for them, looks like the Wild Asia change and the rest made a big difference.

Also shows that the 13 adverts for Alton did not work and the nice ones for Chessington did.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I love Chessington as a kid's park. It offers an excellent variety of ride and attractions for a young family. However, I don't think it's particularly great as a "grown up" park. I think the theming is hit and miss over the park (from various periods of investment/lack of investment) and the rides are nothing to write home about (in my opinion) - they're all good "kid's rides".

However, everything works and it's not full of chavs, so it's better than Thorpe ;)

For family_furie, Gulliver's, Alton or Paultons are all equally as good (or even better) parks to visit. Hence why we only do Chessington every couple of years (due to the distance).

So yeah, I think it's a superb family park and they're bang on the buck in that area. I don't quite get the love from grown up enthusiasts though, but maybe it's simply because my first visit was 2005 and I was already <cough> grown up?

Ollie

CF Legend
I agree with Gavin although I think people like Chessie a lot because they've been to Thorpe lots as well and the day at Chessington isn't as stressful so you can relax more and take your time going round the rides.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Enicomb said:
In that case I would say the title of the award is wrong. Best Theme park those criteria do not make.

Why not?

A park should be based on more than just rides...

If it was just rides, Thorpe would probably win, and that's nowhere near the best park in the UK by anyone's standards...

EDIT - I'm gonna make a new point, they've won this award, then done something exceptionally DUMB...

http://chessington.com/plan-your-trip/x ... tures.aspx

Toytown rides with Fast-track... ****ing stupid...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nemesis Inferno said:
Enicomb said:

Why not?

If it was just rides, Thorpe would probably win, and that's nowhere near the best park in the UK by anyone's standards...
I can see what Enicomb means, but I don't think he's completely right.

It's almost more of a 'business' or 'attraction' type award. A Sea-Life Centre or a Museum could have won this award based on the criteria. They're not theme parks though. Calling this the "Best Theme Park" doesn't quite tell the whole story. "Best Attraction" or something like that, then fine, but "Best Theme Park" should definitely include rides, theming as well as these criteria.

Don't know how well that's been worded on my part... :?

peep

CF Legend
@ Ollie - I highly disagree. I don't think it's because of that at all.

Chessington is popular because it does offer something for everyone (ok, maybe not lots of thrill rides for adults but what they have can still be ridden and enjoyed by the older market imo). The staff are probably the best in the UK (I never really saw why people rave about Alton's staff, maybe on same level). I agree that the theming is a bit patchy in some areas where there has been a lack of investment but they are rapidly improving this and things are changing all the time.

Personally the zoo is the highlight for me, especially the Wanyama area which has a great selection of animals which is constantly expanding. Possibly a big factor into why it won the award.

Also the food outlets are excellent. A vast array to choose from now. I think another reason is that people are taken to the park as kids and loved it then and they enjoy going back to where they had their best childhood memories.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've been lucky enough to spend time with the park management and I can genuinely feel the love that they have for the park. Whereas some people may treat it lie a job, the people I have met really enjoy what they do and I guess that's rubbed off on me.

I find Chessington to be one of the more enjoyable parks in the UK. I like the range of rides, the quirky stuff (Lorikeets, the Vampire, Hocus Pocus Hall) and the chilled atmosphere compared to Thorpe or Blackpool.

I can see why they've won this award though. They've got enough there to keep everybody happy.

It is gutting that they're not getting anything major this year - if anything of note at all - which could have a negative effect on certain areas, but on the whole, Chessington is a great park. I love it.

Martyn B

CF Legend
For me, Chessington has a lovely feel to it, its just seems 'nice' park, and the mixture of theme park and zoo is always a win for me.

alexdude98

Mega Poster
I've been to Chessington loads of times (probably because I live so close to it :lol: )!

I don't think it should be voted UK Theme Park of the Year.

Alton Towers is obviously No.1! It's got rides for EVERYBODY & it has a range of stuff and it's larger.

Some "experts" these judges are!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yes, but if you look at the criteria it's judged on it's not about the coasters.
Nemesis Inferno said:
The criteria for the parks to win were Park growth, Customer growth and Customer Service...

Tbh, that says it all as to why Chessie actually won it...

Hixee said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
Enicomb said:

Why not?

I can see what Enicomb means, but I don't think he's completely right.

It's almost more of a 'business' or 'attraction' type award. A Sea-Life Centre or a Museum could have won this award based on the criteria. They're not theme parks though. Calling this the "Best Theme Park" doesn't quite tell the whole story. "Best Attraction" or something like that, then fine, but "Best Theme Park" should definitely include rides, theming as well as these criteria.

Don't know how well that's been worded on my part... :?
I said it then, and I'll say it again. I think this isn't the best worded award. Chessington is not the best theme park in the country. It might have the best management and business model, but that doesn't mean the park is actually the best.

alexdude98

Mega Poster
^ Ah. You got me there. But then again I completely agree. It should be about rides, restaurants & cafes, the public's opinion etc. Park growth, customer growth & customer service? - Pathetic! CoasterForce should award parks with awards if another company isn't going to rate it well & based on what really matters!