What's new

Chessington 2014

nadroJ

CF Legend
I decided to make a fresh topic for the new season after I learned that apparently the Runaway Mine Train is being renamed 'Scorpion Express' to fit in with the Mexicana area. Makes sense, as long as they bring back some of the rock work I'm game.

What does anybody else think/does anyone have any further information on this?

PS. Sorry if this has been mentioned anywhere, I did a search and nothing came up.

peep

CF Legend
I'm sure all of this was discussed elsewhere?

Meh. Should be noted that the Dragon Falls retheme has been postponed until another season.

The "new" hotel (just a new extension / wing to the existing hotel) will have an Aztec theme, they've released a logo for it too.

Following the fire last month some cosmetic work will need to be done to Bubbleworks. Creaky cafe will either stay closed to rebuilt. No official word on what's going on, I assume inspections and the like are still ongoing.

Runaway Mine Train, now Scorpian Express, is expected to keep the same train theme and still contain a mine/cave look. Still a bit up in the air though.

Next to the new hotel expansion will be a redesigned monkey and bird garden which will feature several new animal walk through enclosures similar to the current Lorikeet Lagoon in Wild Asia.

Apparently Market Square is having some changes made too.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I think it's good we've got a topic to pull this all together.

I really think they are making moves in the right direction this year and there's certainly a few different things being tackled. Let's hope they make a good job of it. Didn't I hear there's an enthusiast in the management this year?

Mike

Giga Poster
I've said it for years, but they should just close the park for half a season or so and get their **** together.
I can't really think of anything in the park that isn't damaged, broken or falling apart. :?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I agree, especially after the disastrous season they had last year, who'd miss it anyway? Well, I'd miss Dragon's Fury but I'll survive.

I bet the fixing of creaky cafe and damaged Bubbleworks will be a half arsed job, shame really :/

peep

CF Legend
Walibi did not close for the re-brand, I believe all 3 parks just got re-branded in stages.

Chessington have released logos for the new animal walk through and Scorpion Express. I quite like them...

1525266_258612087636837_1066499725_n.jpg

1613983_258612094303503_1204925379_n.jpg

nadroJ

CF Legend
Urgh I just have a feeling Chessington will look like a gross construction site for 2014 too <//3

Does anybody know what's going on with Rameses Revenge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Jordan I just checked their website and it says "Please note: Rameses Revenge is currently closed and will reopen in 2014". No specification as to WHEN in 2014 but at least they plan to reopen it. They must've had to pay so much to replace the restraints the firemen cut open! D:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Last I heard they said "We are working hard to get Rameses ready for the 2014 season." that was via a Twitter Q&A in December . Nothing confirmed yet though.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
How long did it take to build the ride? I mean how long can it actually take to replace harnesses? I know there was the problem with it in the first place to mean the harnesses stuck so that'd need fixing but come on. Didn't it close early last season? If that's the case it'll've been shut for the best part of a year and as Chessington's, what I would say, most thrilling ride, I don't know why they aren't getting their arses in gear to get the thing fixed!

They seem to be spending money to re-theme other areas, not that don't need re-theming, but I'm sure they can wait for another year so the thing that is broken, and doesn't work, can be fixed. Daftness. Coasterforce should run Merlin, it'd just work.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I really don't understand why they are fixing such an old ride. Replacing all the harnesses can't be cheap. I suppose the space is very well suited to it and they would need to do a lot of retheming to put a new ride in there. I guess it's an easy option when you are already digging up half the rest of the park.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ripping out Rameses would be ridiculously costly, especially given the way it's been set up into the little valley...

It's the least of their worries tbh...

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Plus, like I've mentioned, it is the only thing for the 'ultimate' thill seekers, it is the only thing that goes upside down, if they get rid of it, they'll have to replace it with something that would do the same sort of thing, no way can they fit a coaster there. It'd be another flat ride, off the top of my head I can only think that a top spin could fit there and do that...fly swat: too big, indoor dark ride: too big (and not thrilling enough), an enterprise would probably be too big, but they're dull.

I think they're doing the right thing in keeping it to be fair, they just need to get moving.

Nic

Strata Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
Diggerland 2?
Sue, there's already 4, with a 5th one coming this year in the USA #onestepbehind

Anyhoo...

I really wish we knew the thought process behind digging up Market Square. The last thing the park needs is more things being dug up or pulled apart. They've already got plenty of stuff in pieces that they can't afford/don't have time/can't be arsed to put back together again.

It's really sad to hear that Dragon Falls is going to have to wait again for its much needed retheme. I can't help wondering how much life the ride has got left in it, and they're just biding their time until the whole thing gets ripped out. That said, The Flume is older, and still going (barely). Who knows.

I'll be interested to see the new Monkey & Bird garden. I'm hoping for good things, as there was quite a lot of construction going on in there towards the end of the season. I suspect, however, that it'll just be a new walkthrough similar to (replacing???) the Spider Monkey one and not a lot else. I wonder when they're planning to have that finished and open. I really can't see how the February zoo days are going to work if you can barely get into any of the zoo.