What's new

Cedar Point

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
I've never been to Cedar Point.
i am desperate to go.
im turning 18 in a few months so ill be able to travel on my own.
But i don't think my work will amass enough money to travel to Cedar Point.
Would it be more worth it to seek employment at CP?

Snoo

The Legend
I don't see why not. It is all up to you and your situation, not our opinion. I know people who loved it and people who hated it.

Don't go on the basis of just wanting to visit CP.. because it is a job.. not enjoyment. ;)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
An easy way to get to Cedar Point for not TOO much money:

1. Find out when CF is going back to CP.
2. Contact EastCoasterGeneral and see if he is going.
3. If answer is yes, get to New York City so you can tag along and meet us there.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Working at Cedar Point is TOUGH. Some people are cut out for the job and others not so much.

It may be a Mecca of all things Coasters, but you may want to reconsider sacrificing a whole summer just to step foot into the park.

A

Anonymous

cederpointe

Early in the morning go to TTD, Milenium Force, Maveric. Big park, combine trips. :--D [/b]

Error

Strata Poster
I've worked at Cedar Point, and I can honestly say it was the best AND toughest job I've had. I worked in rides and got bumped around a bit, so I had to learn things very, very quickly.

The 2 big things about working at CP is you 1) need to be EXTREMELY friendly and 2) need to be able to learn fast. In the 3-4 months I worked there, I was on 15 different rides. 8 of those I had to do speeches and speels (In maXair's case, 2 in a row). I had long hours (4th of July was 14 hours with 3 breaks), and the pay is pretty sub-par. I was usually working anywhere between 45-65 hours a week. And I was on Turnpike Cars.

Comparatively, I worked at Six Flags Great America, and their training was very, very detailed. Everyone was required to attend 3 days worth of video watching, manual reading, park observing glory. Everyone was required to be trained on Kiddie rides, and everyone had to take a test and pass with a 100%.

Do remember, if you want a theme park job in rides, you may get stuck with a crappy ride. Both of the parks I worked at I was never assigned a roller coaster, and usually never worked on one. The job gets stressful with some guests and can be dangerous with other guests (see SFoG Batman). If you're up for it, I'd try working at a closer park then CP.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Working rides is repetitive and boring: just checking restraints and/or pushing buttons all day.

Error

Strata Poster
gavin said:
^Working rides is repetitive and boring: just checking restraints and/or pushing buttons all day.

I actually had a blast. Just a matter of making it interesting. Working at a park is something not cut out for everyone.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, I just did it for one day to help out, since I'm such a nice person, and then flat out refused to ever do it again.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^To be fair, I was stuck on a crappy ride by myself all day. I wasn't working in the rides department, but they were horrendously understaffed one day so I offered to help out, thinking it would make a nice change anyway. I was just about ready to hang myself by lunch time...

However, if you're in a team of people, operating an interesting ride, I'm sure it could be a lot of fun. It's like any job I guess; it is what you make it. I just made it to be something I never wanted to do again.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
^^ I have a friend that "Cooks" there, and both of us being the chef in out familys think it is offensive to chefs to call cooking at mcdonalds cooking.

^What type ride was it? I can imagine pressing a buttons several times and checking restraints is better than sitting alone in an inventory closet counting books and school supplies item by item.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^One of those scrambler things. There weren't even any buttons, just a lever to pull, and hold, down to make it spin.

I found a way to wedge it down with an aerosol can, leaving it running for ages while I texted my friends back in the entertainment department about what a crap day I was having.