What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
People are forgetting that a train can reach near 420ft going slower, as it’s expected to valley rather than continue up and over.

A train requires more velocity to go up and over a top hat than it does to reach the top of a spike.
Look mate, we don't need you coming in here with your logic and reason. We're here for a moan and to hypothesise based on knee jerk reactions.

**** off with this considered, rational perspective pointing out straightforward facts.

;)

Niles

Giga Poster
We have a site update from Tony Clark.
7.jpg

More support pieces are ready to go up for the spike.
6.jpg

Here is a look at the switch/transfer track and the storage track, workers have started power washing the station in preparation for the new colour scheme.
4.jpg
5.jpg

Supports have gone in for the curve into the station.
3.jpg

And finally a look at all the LSM wiring which goes to the electrical building.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Source

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Very slick looking.

I do wonder why the decision was made to have the seat panels in sections however. Those gaps remind me of the old Togo trains that Viper at SFGAdv used to have. I hope they won’t be uncomfortable in the same way. Most modern premium manufacturer’s seats are fully moulded, and don’t leave pinch points like these.
I vaguely remember hearing this discussed when the lightning train was first announced. It was all about ease/cost of maintenance. If the headrest starts to wear out, you can just replace that panel. If the headrest wears out on a one-piece moulded seat, you have to replace the entire seat, which is much more expensive and potentially more time consuming.

I vaguely remember hearing this discussed when the lightning train was first announced. It was all about ease/cost of maintenance. If the headrest starts to wear out, you can just replace that panel. If the headrest wears out on a one-piece moulded seat, you have to replace the entire seat, which is much more expensive and potentially more time consuming.
That's very smart on Zamperla's part actually. And I don't think comfort will be something to worry about, many people have said the seats are very comfortable.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
That's very smart on Zamperla's part actually. And I don't think comfort will be something to worry about, many people have said the seats are very comfortable.
It isn't so much the comfort level now, but the comfort level 5 seasons from now after general wear and tear. ;) Intamin's rubber molded chairs are a personal favorite for comfort, so will be curious to see if the new seat design will be comparable.

If only because I feel the rattle of riding Kingda Ka in August finally wore off - my only concern (as with anything you are hurtling at 100+ MPH over and over) is development of rattle, especially on a new train design. I'm highly confident Zamperla has taken all aspects of good design into account, but I will say the OG Dragster trains held up quite well all things considered, and shifting to an OTSR-style lapbar could create risk of rattle versus good ol' t-style lapbars with a higher center of gravity/more physical linkage and material which can create rattle transferance. Will just be curious to see how the train design fairs over time!

JackFish

Mega Poster
If this is Zamperal´s Lightning train, how are they modifying it to fit the Intamin track? The track gauge doesn't seem like it's the same, so are they changing the whole train or just the wheel bass?

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
If this is Zamperla´s Lightning train, how are they modifying it to fit the Intamin track? The track gauge doesn't seem like it's the same, so are they changing the whole train or just the wheel bass?
While it is a Lightning variant (ex. the seats, the "weld-free" aspect), this train is entirely custom made for this ride. 21" road wheels, the wheel assemblies, the longer chassis & 2nd row legroom; it's all designed specifically to fit on the Intamin track.