What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

ViperGTS500

Roller Poster
Wow Tony looks different now compared to then.
I bet they decided to do these update videos because that unofficial channel (Lake Erie Lifestyles) has been cranking out drone update videos every few days lol

Bowser

Mega Poster
So the coaster will have a fast switch track out of the station. That's great for capacity

My brain is struggling to comprehend how the switching track will work.

- Load train
- Tracks moves into place and launches

Where is the second train at this point? Waiting on the brake run?

Hutch

Strata Poster
My brain is struggling to comprehend how the switching track will work.

- Load train
- Tracks moves into place and launches

Where is the second train at this point? Waiting on the brake run?
When the train exits the station and goes through the switch track, the next train will be in the station by then. Third train, which would have previously cleared the top hat would be sitting on the brake run.

Bowser

Mega Poster
When the train exits the station and goes through the switch track, the next train will be in the station by then. Third train, which would have previously cleared the top hat would be sitting on the brake run.

Ok that makes more sense, thanks!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
To this point, it would appear TT2 will operate separate load and unload zones in station (TTD operated as a dual load/unload, same as Maverick) - so time on brake run should be minimal at best, with trains rolling directly into the unload, in-station. So really focused on maximizing reps versus having trains wait and sit on the brake run. (a la TTD's 5 train operation)

Hutch

Strata Poster
To this point, it would appear TT2 will operate separate load and unload zones in station (TTD operated as a dual load/unload, same as Maverick) - so time on brake run should be minimal at best, with trains rolling directly into the unload, in-station. So really focused on maximizing reps versus having trains wait and sit on the brake run. (a la TTD's 5 train operation)
Somehow the 5 train ops on TTD worked as you'd have two in the station, two on the launch track (one sitting still behind the one actually being launched), and one unloading separately on the final turn. Stacking trains early as opposed to on the brake run actually wasn't a problem, especially as it plays into the waiting/anticipation of the launch, as well as a pretty awesome visual of seeing the train in front of you disappear.

That setup made two trains on Kingda Ka or even three trains on Red Force a quite jarring. In theory you wouldn't need that many trains for such a short ride, but I expect CP to give their A game on this one. Hopefully by the time a train dispatches, the switch track will be free and ready to go.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
And to put into perspective how tall this structure will really be (aside from it being the same height as the top hat), I've marked the current height of the structure on the concept art:-

Top-Thrill-2_01-copy2.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I was also at the park on Sunday. The footprint is just already stunning, with the track hardly done with the pull out yet at roughly Rougarou height. Absolutely stunning to think what this will look like at full stance!

Other observations:
  • The back spike will have a nice vantage point as your approaching the park. This despite the skyline most likely looking muddled from Sandusky, with Power Tower obscuring the view of the back spike. 😅
  • Iron Dragon continues on, albeit with an ever dwindling treeline. The TT2 track overhang has zero effect on the Iron Dragon layout for those hoping for some sort of head chopper effect.​
  • Rougarou too has a nice view of the TT2 back spike now.​
  • Just crazy to look at Power Tower and extrapolate the back spike, at that height, plus 100 ft.​

IMG_5170.jpegIMG_5172.jpegIMG_5173.jpegIMG_5175.jpegIMG_5176.jpegIMG_5182.jpeg

JackFish

Mega Poster
Can someone tell me why Cedar Point paid for the spike to be 420 feet tall when there is no way it will get close to the top since it still has to accelerate on the last launch to make it over the tophat which is the same height?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Can someone tell me why Cedar Point paid for the spike to be 420 feet tall when there is no way it will get close to the top since it still has to accelerate on the last launch to make it over the tophat which is the same height?
To game out the counter-argument; theoretically no spikes actually reach their full height. This is both in part due to having top brakes as safety measure, and purposely not wanting trains to get anywhere near the top brakes as safety measure (and ride comfort for not "clunking" onto a brake stop). A quick tour of snapshots:

1696353727856.png
freeze3.jpg

twister-05-1-1437x1920.jpg

277990411_651897695879167_8749152634927657870_n-scaled.jpg

Now that's also to say for the glass half-full folks - everything we have seen to date is computer rendering, and Zamperla might have enough engineering wizardry to work out the physics for launching coaster trains 400 ft. on the nose/as close to the top as possible. But to expect a train to go the full max of spike height is a bit unreasonable, as few if any actually ever do.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'd second that, aesthetically, it'll appease more - it also allows for fail safes with speed, wind, etc.

codeman94

Mega Poster
I think the 420ft spike looks good as it fits the rest of the structure, it will look like the train goes a safe distance up the spike without cutting it dangerously close, and the third launch will be needed, and felt to get over.

I think the first launch will be the most potentially awkward.