What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
it'd be odd and unlikely that they would build a spike taller than the train will reach, makes no sense
Have you ever seen a non-duel-lift shuttle? or any of the swing lunch back towers? Because they all have a ton of track higher than what the train ever reaches. Pantheon might have a 178 foot spike, but I assure you, none of the train gets that high.

catsounds

Mega Poster
Have you ever seen a non-duel-lift shuttle? or any of the swing lunch back towers? Because they all have a ton of track higher than what the train ever reaches. Pantheon might have a 178 foot spike, but I assure you, none of the train gets that high.
but this is not them, this is cedar point revamping top thrill dragster in 2024
so if they *do* go for the height it'd be a bit odd for them to do that

Snoo

The Legend
I mean if Orion isn't a Giga then Phantoms Revenge isn't a hyper. I've always preferred it this way round where it's based on drops not heights.

Hypers, Gigas should be based on Drop height not Structure height. Hypothetically you could have a junior coaster that's first turn goes out over the edge of a 200ft cliff. As long as theres a support that reaches all the way to the bottom of the cliff then that junior coaster has just as much claim to being a hyper as magnum (which doesn't have a 200ft drop either) 🤷

Anyway getting dragged away on a bit of a tangent there. 🤣

True. But a bit of a technicality when the bit the train reaches its highest point in is a shuttle really.

I think we can all agree parks will always go with any dumb record they can think of.

Although my favourite kind of anti record must be SDCs new rapids ride being advertised as the tallest rapid rides in the western hemisphere (itself a dumb record) despite the fact as far as anyone I've spoken to can tell there isn't a taller one in the eastern hemisphere either.

So I base it off of height because it was always based off that for the longest time. I never considered Apollos or Phanny a hyper. Did they have Hyper drops? Sure. But height wise, which should be the standard IMO for.. HEIGHT.. they are what they are measured as. I wouldn't call a 475ft drop off a cliff a strata based on height.
But the Orion Giga argument is always a fun tangent one because people get SASSY about it when you say my viewpoint. :D

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
So I base it off of height because it was always based off that for the longest time. I never considered Apollos or Phanny a hyper. Did they have Hyper drops? Sure. But height wise, which should be the standard IMO for.. HEIGHT.. they are what they are measured as. I wouldn't call a 475ft drop off a cliff a strata based on height.
But the Orion Giga argument is always a fun tangent one because people get SASSY about it when you say my viewpoint. :D
I have no skin in the game either way 🤣 they're pointless industry terms that don't actually mean anything.

But just to play devil's advocate👿 would you count the hypothetical junior coaster mentioned in my previous post as a hyper? Or for that matter Manhatten Express ( or Big Apple Coaster as it is now) since that's 200ft tall but with a 140ft drop.

catsounds

Mega Poster

if you stood at the bottom of a 300ft drop that only had a 100ft lift would the height still not be 300ft from the lowest point in that case? 🤔 (also just playing devil's advocate here btw xD)

Last edited:

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Or it's all meaningless marketing terms INVENTED by Cedar Point. They literally just invented new categories just so they could shout about Magnum, MF and TTD. I find it funny when people argue over these things when they're not even recognised terms by the manufactures that make them. (For example Intamin uses Giga but not hyper...B&M doesn't use giga, they're all hyper coasters)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Or it's all meaningless marketing terms INVENTED by Cedar Point. They literally just invented new categories just so they could shout about Magnum, MF and TTD. I find it funny when people argue over these things when they're not even recognised terms by the manufactures that make them. (For example Intamin uses Giga but not hyper...B&M doesn't use giga, they're all hyper coasters)

giphy.gif

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Not to mention it's all set in a ridiculous unit of measurement that only the USA, Liberia Myanmar and the always confusing UK (sometimes) really use. 🤣

I propose we just use the prefix Big... They are all Big Coasters.... Done.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Not to mention it's all set in a ridiculous unit of measurement that only the USA, Liberia Myanmar and the always confusing UK (sometimes) really use. 🤣

I, for one, think we should stick to measuring by rods and parsecs.

Boodangy

Mega Poster

I recall many a person were upset at Hyperion's unveiling that the drop was "only" 270ft making it not quite marketable as a 300ft giga. In Poland.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I, for one, think we should stick to measure by rods and parsecs.
On the British rail network the distance down the track from the terminus station is for some reason still measured in Chains. Since roller coasters have a track and a station I don't see why this shouldn't apply here too.

In this case the original TTD was 42.2225404 chains long. Super easy to remember

Trax

Hyper Poster
Can we all agree that Furlongs, Barleycorns and Twips are the fare superior units of measurement?

Polaris doesn’t sound fitting to me with them going for a racing theme. Polaris is a star, and does not at all relate to racing. Well except that you have to go really fast to be able to ever reach it.

If they don’t go above 420ft, it does feel a little bit wasted. Not that 420ft isn’t tall, but with it being CP, a new record in some way feels just so obvious to me.

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
Could this have been the rumoured space theme, that maybe got the boot in the end in favour of the new racing theme? Unless CP is playing everyone and all the racing stuff is just to mess with the enthusiasts and it's actually going to be called Polaris🥴

quaremorito

Roller Poster
I'll admit I was a little disappointed when I saw the leak. Even if it's fake, which is what I'm leaning towards, I feel like targeting a space theme over a racing theme would be a little unoriginal and boring :( Kings Island is my home park so I'm wayyyy too used to space themes. Still looking forward to more news about this coaster, I hope we get another record breaker!