What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
ATI said:
Youngster Joey said:
TheFlyerMan1 said:
Before I get carried away, does anybody know if Metal Streak (My nickname for it) will receive any inversions?

Considering there is only one RMC without an inversion i'd say it's a safe bet the new ride will have at least one.

There's 2 - NTG and LR...

Indeed. had you read through the rest of the thread i conceded that already.

Whenever the announcement is i'd be shocked if we didn't already have a decent idea what kind of ride we're getting before then.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
More of the drop, lift hill turn around, and lift hill coming down.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Coaster101/status/792138722884067328[/tweet]

Snoo

The Legend
Lofty said:
^ Pretty sure the Maverick topic exceeded 250... Ha.

Maverick actually made it to 341 pages:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071008050 ... 359#335359

It went on from mid 2005-late 2007 as opening was delayed. That was also during a very high user volume from those of us Stateside, especially here in Ohio, so we were quite vocal. That's not even counting you kids abroad. This won't be that nutty but I suspect somewhere around 150 pages, ESPECIALLY if this doesn't open until 2018 most likely. Of course, they didn't give ANY hints about Maverick until they announced it very late 2006 after White Water Landing was removed in mid 2005. We already know what's going on with this to be honest, so this will have a lot less speculation as to what TYPE of ride it will be but more what RMC will do with the elements.

..I remember that whole thing too much. :D

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ In Maverick's case, we hadn't a clue what Cedar Point was planning when they removed their log flume in 2005. So at least in this case, the writing is already on the wall.

Snoo

The Legend
There is more than writing on the wall. This has full on examples already built at other parks, track already on-site, and construction on the site beginning. Maverick didn't have diddly squat until middle of 2006. And when we got that diddly, it didn't say ANYTHING as nothing like Maverick had been built anywhere.

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
I've been looking at some of these past posts, and I have a question. Anyone know how many of the airtime pre-lift humps are going in?

Snoo

The Legend
I don't know if anyone knows that yet Josh. The supports there don't give any indication of that at this point unless I'm missing some picture. Given the former layout and from what I've seen, it will just drop out of the station into the lift hill as before.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Imagineer Josh said:
I've been looking at some of these past posts, and I have a question. Anyone know how many of the airtime pre-lift humps are going in?
Based on what I was able to see today, it looks like there will be one bunny hop heading into the lift hill. I'll be able to better unpack all the progress tomorrow once I have more time to write. For now, I've posted a quick grab of photos to our Facebook and Twitter pages. :) [facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/CoasterForce/posts/10153931454178639[/facebookpost]

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Based on this picture:
mean-streak-conversion-at-cedar-point-b4afd2924e44be42.jpg

It looks like the track will curve downwards like many other RMCs, then it will quickly curve up(curved bunny hop?), drop back down, go into a small bunny hop, and then go into the lift. So like Hyde said, I think there will be one 'true' bunny hop, but there will be a small drop before it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So to go into more detail, I was at Cedar Point yesterday for their last day of the season, and was sure to swing by Mean Streak to see how construction was progressing.

I'll call out the major advancements in construction:

The lift hill is nearly half gone, and lift hill turn also had a large portion down. You will notice work on new cross-trestles is already underway for the prelift, which gives the rough shape of the new track layout.

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

Looking further, it would appear the track will drop and turn into two small bunny hops before hitting the lift hill. (Red line highlights track path)

layout1.png

Jumping to the mid-section of Mean Streak, the drop and mid-portions of track have been totally removed, with track being piled next to the structure.

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

Again, more cross-trestle has gone up, which looks like a series of airtime hills with some off-angle turns (classic RMC), most likely at the end of the layout headed back into the station. (Red line highlights track path)

layout2.png

All in, noticeable work and progress, which does give me pause for when this coaster will actually open. 2018 is a long ways away, and they certainly will have majority of this roller coaster converted by next season at the present rate. Also thinking further, Wednesday the 4th? That's middle of the week, and certainly not a Winter Chillout (which are on the weekends). So maybe we actually are looking at a January 4th announcement? We are simply in the dark.

Oh, they are also actively demolishing the Shoot The Rapids site, which many believe will receive RipCord as Cedar Point removes the Challenge Park, out-the-park area and moves pay-for attractions inside the park. Pictures (and other extraneous Mean Streak pictures) below:

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

Intricks

Strata Poster
So more track is coming down, and supposedly track has officially been installed inside the station.

As for an opening date, could this be the first time we see a mid-season opening for Cedar Fair if travk is already being installed?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Who knows. To the best knowledge, Cedar Point, let alone Cedar Fair as an entirety, has never had a mid-season ride opening at a seasonal amusement park. They are making great progress, at which rate I couldn't imagine they wouldn't have the coaster ready by 2017. So maybe they wanted to go early with the Soak City announcement to give it airtime, and could plan a mid-winter announcement for airtime on a new coaster for 2017. This wouldn't be new; TTD was announced mid-winter, while construction had begun early in the 2002 season.

CoasterEv

Roller Poster
I can't wait to see the final layout reveal for this thing. The coaster was so huge as it was, I imagine they are going to do something really unique with it. I wonder if they're going to keep the final brake run so high up and if the lift hill is going to be extended for a larger drop.. so many questions! haha :p

Snoo

The Legend
I honestly think it will just be Texas Giant but with more modern elements that we've seen in both the other topper and IH tracks.