What's new

Camelot is staying!

luke8

Mega Poster
Hello, been well over a year since I last frequented CF!

Ok, so the only evidence I have to base this upon is the fact that a good friend of mine works at Camelot as a Marketing Manager and has done for about 10 years.

It might sound a little dodgy and untrustworthy, but he was the same guy who informed me of the fact Camelot had bought Knightmare (BMRX as it was then) about 2 months before it was announced, and also informed me about 3 weeks early about the park going into administration last year.

And he was the one who informed me of the Rack's closure/removal along time before the rest of those interested heard it.

So it's pretty reliable:

Basically, the Council have supposedly carried out a feasibility study on the land and have withdrew any plans they had for a residential development.

Meanwhile the park has had boosted attendance figures yet again so far this season, beyond all expectations (I can vouch for that, it's been packed on the two occasions I've been this season).

Knights Leisure have apparently also temporarily shelves any thoughts on a multi-purpose site, and I'm told the park will be kept open until 2012, when the situation will be reviewed again.

So looks like it has a few seasons left yet. I know there's not many here who care for the park, but I've been going for regularly for 15 years and I enjoy it. Plus it's surely good news that the UK won't be losing this park for atleast a number of years yet.

:D

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I suppose that gives me another year or two to put off actually going there. Uhm...yay?

Martyn B

CF Legend
I know there's not many here who care for the park

I dont really think much of the park, (though removing the Rack is a MASSIVE improvement!) and I probably still wont visit again, but I'm a theme park fan, so I do care, I'm glad its staying open.

As they're reviewing the situation again in a couple of years, I presume they wont be adding any new attractions, so still no draw for me.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAYk5VWkTw[/youtube]

Erm... On the actual topic... I need the creds... But, it requires effort to go up there and it's the sorta park I wouldn't go out of my way for just to get some rather poor coasters...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Good news that it's staying. I hate to see any park close.

Unless they get a really decent attraction, I won't be returning. It's not an attractive park, the ride line up is lacklustre and there seems to be no sense of direction.

With a few seasons now confirmed, if there's the cash, I hope they address these problems.

luke8

Mega Poster
Fingers crossed Ian.

Nemesis Inferno; Knightmare is pretty awesome. Seems a marmite sort of coaster in that some love it, but some hate it. I'm in the first category. Rode it about 100 times, and about 150 other coasters, but it's still probably in my top 10, or thereabouts anyway. Especially when it's running with out it's trims.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Knightmare is good, but it is a long way for someone to travel just for Knightmare.

Twist 'n' Shout at Loudoun is ment to be very good, but would you travel all that way up there just for that?

What are the entrance prices like this year? It was £18 when I visited in 2007, which is an absolute rip off. They need to lower it if they want to bring in the guests!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The problem lies with it's identity.

It's called Camelot so it strikes up images of knights, dragons and castles. To some extent the themeing is pretty great - the entrance for example, the stalls in the "lower area" and the jousting area - but once you get out of the camelot area, it's a field witha few rides with losely based Camelot names. So is it two parks in one or did they just not bother creating the magic throughout? Then there's a "zoo" tucked away in a corner..wtf?

The park is far too bitty. Is it fairground? Is it a Camelot experience? Is it country park with a few rides? WTF is Camelot?

On my three visits to the park, I got after several hours. If it wasn't for the twirly-potato things, I would have left even ealier.

luke8

Mega Poster
It's £22 to get in on the day now (I think) - which is an absolute embarrassment.

I have a season pass for £45 though which is decent value, but the single day admission prices are ridiculously high when you consider it - how can they possible put the price sup by £2 every year, when actually the state of the place becomes poorer every year, they've even got a ride less this year!

I agree with the comment about it being a park of 2 halves. The more child-friendly, 'old' area down the hill where the Jousting and smaller rides are is actually quite well themed (albeit a bit shabby nowadays) and has a good atmosphere when the park's fairly busy, but the area with Knightmare/Whirlwind/Excalibur/formerly The Rack - is just a field.

I mean they tried to theme Excalibur II but it still has an awful tacky, temporary feel about it.

Whirlwind is popular among the public, admittedly but should be burnt down, or something.

Knightmare is about the only thing worth it in the park, The log flume's childish and tacky, the Dragon Flyer is a laugh but basic and is hardly open anymore, and I suppose the Jousting is good, but pointless for return visitors.

It's worth a day out perhaps, if your in the area but I suppose it's not worth traveling from anywhere other than the North-West.

There's really only 3 rides for anyone over the age of about 10 now too, the two coaster's and Excalibur. The Rack was a waste of space but at least it was something to market for the park.

Hopefully with the park staying around for at least a couple more years they can bring something else in, even if it is something basic, atleast it might get them through whatever seasons the park has left.

yinyang

Mega Poster
love the place, although I only hit it up as its on the way to BPB, or I do it as a park to do the day before Alton Towers, if I'm up that way for a few days.

I know its no saving grace for most i love the scenery, and also the wimpy place at the top of the hill or whatever it is, the food court, does the best fish and chips, with proper chip shop style curry sauce, i know its weird but its 2 years since i've been but I remember that.

All in all I like camelot but it does need more intense rides in the open spaces otherwise it'll go the way of american adventure.

Jake

Strata Poster
^

1) It's Wimpy, which automatically makes it foul.

2) I remember there being hundreds of dead flies on the tables that were INSIDE... Ben will confirm.

On a more relevant note, I'm not too bothered what happens to this park. Knightmare is quite fab, but the park just doesn't seem commercially viable, and should close with the last shread of dignity intact.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Martyn B said:
Knightmare is good, but it is a long way for someone to travel just for Knightmare.

If you're "someone" in Norwich, yes. If you're "someone" in Lacashire/Cheshire/Manchester/Merseyside/North Wales, no.

Nic

Strata Poster
I dunno, I think 100 yds is probably too far to travel just for Knightmare. Oh, and yes, Whirlwind must die. Preferably at the hands of me with an industrial size angle grinder. That'd be fun :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
gavin said:
Martyn B said:

If you're "someone" in Norwich, yes. If you're "someone" in Lacashire/Cheshire/Manchester/Merseyside/North Wales, no.

I actually said that in reference to luke8/N.I's posts.... I believe N.I lives in the London area.