What's new

California and Vegas Pt 9: Las Vegas

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A few days after getting back from the Sweden CF Live, plus the Denmark add-on, I flew out to Los Angeles for a 16 day holiday in California and Las Vegas. The original plan was to do this from Hong Kong and not go back to the UK/Europe at all this summer, but then the Kate Bush concert happened and the whole summer HAD TO be rearranged around that. I decided to stick with the plan of going to California as well as going back to the UK. It was an amazing summer, but easily the most knackering I’ve ever done. Going from Hong Kong to the UK to California to the UK to Hong Kong is the most **** ed up way of doing things considering only the Pacific Ocean separates Hong Kong and California.

Anyway, I arrived on a Wednesday evening and had a shuttle booked to get me to my hotel in West Hollywood. It was a bit of a dump, but the location was good right on Santa Monica Boulevard. I found out a couple of days later that Jim Morrison used to live there. Never been a fan, so wasn't impressed. An earlyish night was had so I could get up early for the first park.

Universal Studios Hollywood

It took about 45 minutes for me to get here from my hotel, via a bus than ran constantly from right outside to donwntown and then a quick metro ride.

SAM_5789_zpsdb684a81.jpg

There was a bit of faff getting in as I’d stupidly left my pre-printed ticket at the hotel, so had to go to Guest Services for them to find the booking and reprint it. No big deal, but completely negated the whole point of pre-booking in the first place.

My first thought was to head away from the entrance and to the Studio Tour first, figuring that it would get long queues. However, Universal’s House of Horrors, right near the entrance, only had a ten-minute queue, so I jumped in there first, being pretty sure that it wouldn’t have that short a line for the rest of the day.

SAM_5791_zps0c83ace2.jpg

It was pretty decent without being over the top scary, and was well-themed with decent sets which is something I prefer with these things than obvious scares, though this had a few of those as well. I didn’t realise at the time, but it closed down for good just a couple of weeks later, so I’m glad I gave it a go; I probably wouldn’t have bothered if there was a long wait.

Have a couple of pictures of general theming (not as good as Osaka or Singapore) to break up the pesky words:

SAM_5793_zps4bed7a04.jpg

SAM_5898_zps538786a8.jpg

Shrek 4D was the same as the other two of these I’ve done: moving seats and squirts water at you. It was fine for a 4D theatre thing, but still just a 4D theatre thing. At least this one didn’t abuse a huge castle to house it like the waste of space at Singapore.

SAM_5796_zps04637e13.jpg

Harry Potter construction. At least I assume that’s what it was.

SAM_5794_zps6f3dad91.jpg

SAM_5795_zpsc2ebe5bf.jpg

SAM_5797_zpsf0cf0ab5.jpg

I’m assuming that that was for the whole street area. There was a huge building between that and the Studio Tour which I’m assuming is for the ride?

SAM_5859_zpsaac0eb69.jpg

SAM_5860_zpsc4b6f396.jpg

Onto the Studio Tour then. By the time I got there, after making quick stops at House of Horrors and Shrek 4D, there was still only a 10-minute queue. It was still not long after opening time, and the park never really started to get busy until the afternoon.

SAM_5799_zps0239d085.jpg

It was pretty good really, mostly because it’s an actual working studio with real film sets scattered around. I’ve never really understood the whole fake studio theme at all, especially that god-awful piece of s**t in Paris. The tour lasted close to an hour, but I can’t remember what most of this stuff was now. Some stuff:

SAM_5805_zpsfdf147db.jpg

SAM_5811_zpscdb4bd35.jpg

Back to the Future:

SAM_5807_zps1138cb31.jpg

SAM_5818_zps76635fc3.jpg

The tour was part actual sets and part theme park attraction, with this flooded town thing,

SAM_5824_zps4d799111.jpg

a fake subway station that suffers an earthquake – pretty much identical to the old Earthquake attraction in Florida from what I remember as a kid, with water, fire and the road above collapsing.

SAM_5835_zps7b267d14.jpg

The newest of these sections was King Kong 360, a supposed 3D surround screen. Unfortunately, you could easily see the bottom and top of the screens, so the effect didn’t quite work. It was really short as well, all a bit crap really.

SAM_5816_zps33fcdd54.jpg

Wisteria Lane has been totally neutered, leaving just a couple of houses before it hits a fence. Makes sense really given the size of the set, they’re not making Desperate Housewives anymore and it’s hardly going to go down as a classic, must-see show.

SAM_5843_zpsb49b8f3f.jpg

The Jaws bit was decent, basically a scaled down version of the rides in Florida and Osaka, only obviously not on a boat. It was a good way to do it really, seeing as the actual park section doesn’t seem very big on space. I was on the wrong side of the tram though, so got a crap view of the shark, hence no pictures of that bit.

SAM_5839_zps62e5fa54.jpg

SAM_5842_zps60871c49.jpg

The Bates’ house was fab. Again, being on the wrong side I got a crap view of the motel section.

SAM_5847_zps0784c022.jpg

SAM_5849_zps68af529c.jpg

Why they have this massive War of the Worlds set here is a bit of a mystery. Yes, as a set it looks cool, but it takes up a massive space and it’s not as if the film was any good.

SAM_5850_zpsf70f76f1.jpg

SAM_5854_zps14830739.jpg

It was around 12 by the time I got off the tram tour. The Simpsons had a queue advertised at an hour, but which actually took only half that.

SAM_5863_zps9e4e8318.jpg

SAM_5864_zpsfce720ee.jpg

It was ok, but as to be expected given that it’s just an upgrade of a much older ride, the actual ride tech was pretty dated. It’s neither better nor worse than the ride it replaced to be honest, except that it now squirts water at you. Not that I rode Back to the Future at this park since it was my first visit here, but I’ve done the other two which are seemingly identical.

Some nice views from the exit steps anyway.

SAM_5869_zpsb5467ed2.jpg

After that it was time to head down to the lower section of the park. I literally had no idea about the park layout before I went, so spending over ten minutes on f**king escalators to get down there came as a bit of a surprise. Luckily, the rides down here all had single rider lines, which was brilliant as queues were around the 45 minute mark – still not too bad for a day in August though.

Nobody else was using the single rider line for Revenge of the Mummy at all, which meant I just walked straight onto it, getting five rides in over the course of the 90 minutes or so I spent at that end of the park.

SAM_5870_zps9a80f420.jpg

It was ok, but not as good as Singapore’s version. From the outside’s clear that it’s been shoved into a pre-existing building and doesn’t appear half as impressive. The pre-show section, which squirted water at you, was different, but about on the same level I’d say; they’re both very good. The coaster section was good, with the backwards section on this one being a lot more substantial, but the ending was absolute **** unfortunately: the cars just get turned forwards and roll into the station. Apparently, Singapore’s coaster, as a coaster if not a story, is identical to Florida’s, so that might give some people a frame of reference.

Anyway, for an indoor coaster, it was excellent, just not as good as the other version I’ve ridden.

There was a crappy “museum” opposite, which was a basically a room with a Delorian and not much else.

SAM_5878_zps8aa4261d.jpg

Transformers had a few people using the single rider queue, but staff were really efficient and I never waited more than 5 minutes for any of the 3 rides I had on it.

SAM_5871_zpsb63bac51.jpg

As far as I can tell, it’s identical to Singapore’s including squirting water at you, apart from, again, the outside of it. I really need to re-ride Spiderman to make a fair comparison, but at the moment, while Transformers is amazing, I still prefer Spiderman over it.

The final ride here was Jurassic Park, again with a single rider line.

SAM_5872_zpsb280b92c.jpg

SAM_5880_zpsf67ab1d0.jpg

It was excellent, but I have to say that the animatronics on Osaka’s ride were better from what I remember. If you’re getting sick of comparisons, get used to it since you’ve got Disney to come in this report yet.

SAM_5874_zpse5c36902.jpg

SAM_5881_zps3c775eb0.jpg

Back up to the main part of the park then to polish off a couple of things. There’s a new kiddy play area there which I obviously didn’t go into.

SAM_5884_zps8ae32f67.jpg

The new ride this year is Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. The queue time was posted at 90 minutes, which was a ballache. I asked about a single rider line, but the guy at the front was a **** ing muppet, “I don’t want to say yes in case there isn’t one”. What does that even mean?! Either there is or there isn’t. About a minute later a woman came out holding a single rider sign, so it seems that they sometimes merge single riders with fast-pass people and sometimes don’t bother. It was ridiculous, but at least it meant I got to ride it as I doubt I would’ve sucked up a 90 minute queue.

SAM_5889_zpsd7ef2fec.jpg

I had no idea what it actually was, but it turns out to be just another simulator. This time there are a load of simulator cars in one big room, it’s in 3D and it, of course, squirts water at you. The story is that the riders are getting turned into minions. It was good, for a simulator, but quite disappointing in that I thought that it might have been something unique.

I remember there being a Hanna Barbera themed simulator ride in Florida years ago, which seemed very similar to this, so I’m assuming that Hollywood had this ride too and have just rethemed it?

I missed Waterworld in Singapore, so managed to catch it here on my way out of the park.

SAM_5900_zps6627d7ab.jpg

As in Osaka, it’s a decent stunt show based on a **** ing dreadful film.

Thoughts on the whole then. I liked this place, but was also quite disappointed by it. I was expecting a lot more, and for it to be a lot bigger. Obviously, the studios are themselves massive, but the actual theme park is tiny with nothing particularly unique about it if you’ve been to any of the others. The insistence of having every **** ing ride squirt water at you is also annoying.

Adding Harry Potter is going to be a nightmare as it will draw ridiculous crowds and there will be nowhere for those crowds to go; I can’t help thinking it’s a mistake to be honest.

I also find it quite funny now that people seem to think that the Singapore park has “nothing to do”, when it’s actually a lot bigger than this one, with more unique attractions and much better theming throughout. I’ll need to go back to Florida to form a proper opinion, but it’s this original park that’s the buck-toothed, ginger cousin of the Universal family.

Since I was out of the park by three and I had to pass through this area on the metro anyway, I decided to do a bit of touristy stuff that I’d originally pencilled in for the weekend. I got off at Hollywood and Vine and walked up Hollywood Boulevard to the Chinese Theatre and had a look around there.

The inside of the station was pretty cool.

SAM_5907_zps76bb7b9f.jpg

SAM_5908_zps23d3e5b6.jpg

It was interesting for me since I’ve got a real interest in old Hollywood, but the area itself is a bit of a dump to be fair. Right outside the station was the Pantages Theatre, which used to be a cinema and host the Oscars but is now used for Broadway shows.

SAM_5911_zpsd297689c.jpg

Right in front of it I found this without even looking, which was fab.

SAM_5984_zps3d82f28c.jpg

You could literally spend hours looking at all the stars along Hollywood Boulevard. I was planning to Google Bette Davis rather than try and find it amongst the thousands of others, so it was good that I literally stumbled over her.

Some pictures of the area.

SAM_5914_zps913ff568.jpg

SAM_5923_zpsd96745a0.jpg

SAM_5925_zpsd2856057.jpg

SAM_5926_zps172f933a.jpg

SAM_5963_zpsec11b241.jpg

SAM_5981_zpsdcaa662b.jpg

The Hollywood and Highland Centre – shopping and entertainment stuff - has inexplicably built a partial replica of the set of the Babylon scene from Intolerance. It’s fab, but really **** ing ugly as well.

SAM_5967_zpsed335297.jpg

SAM_5969_zps9e37947f.jpg

From the back of it, you could see the Hollywood sign; it’s about as close as I got the whole time I was there.

SAM_5971_zps6666c4bf.jpg

SAM_5970_zps404b6864.jpg

The Dolby Theatre is where they currently hold the Oscars.

SAM_5927_zpsb5ba96ef.jpg

The famous Chinese Theatre.

SAM_5929_zps89733f11.jpg

SAM_5937_zpsec46c1d3.jpg

Which is best known for the cement handprints at the front, including some absolute legends.

SAM_5934_zpsa2b46d45.jpg

SAM_5936_zps4d0e7e2d.jpg

SAM_5938_zpsb758f30d.jpg

SAM_5944_zpseac0a1a3.jpg

SAM_5942_zpsbd9eb920.jpg

SAM_5961_zpsf7ed941a.jpg

And then ruined by these three front and centre. What were they thinking?

SAM_5940_zpsd1132880.jpg

The inside of the theatre was nice and had some old Hollywood memorabilia which I’m not going to explain. If you don’t recognise it, you’re a philistine.

SAM_5946_zps4e9b7c2d.jpg

SAM_5947_zps4119e676.jpg

SAM_5949_zps022e6357.jpg

SAM_5953_zpsb2f11958.jpg

SAM_5956_zps10f5957a.jpg

Heading back to the hotel, I took a slight detour to find this house.

SAM_5988_zps37cd55fa.jpg

A quick side note, the public transport in LA is MUCH better than I’d ever been led to believe. The metro doesn’t cover much admittedly, but there are buses that cover everywhere, run regularly and are very cheap. The whole “you-need-a-car-in-LA” thing just isn’t true. It would be quicker, yes, but that’s true of anywhere.

Anyway, back to the house where the BEST MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER was filmed.

SAM_5987_zps25038dee.jpg

I did feel a bit stalkerish since it’s in a residential neighbourhood and definitely isn’t on the usual tourist map. It was literally a 15-minute bus ride from my hotel though so I had to see it.

If you don’t know the film the house is from, kill yourself.

janehouse_zps2854005b.jpg

Next up: Magic Mountain

davidm

Strata Poster
Re: California and Vegas Pt 1: Universal Studios Hollywood

gavin said:
I remember there being a Hanna Barbera themed simulator ride in Florida years ago, which seemed very similar to this, so I’m assuming that Hollywood had this ride too and have just rethemed it?
The Florida HB simulator ride was in the same building as the new (but similar) Despicable Me ride is, but the California one is where the Terminator2 ride/show thingy was - so a bit more than just rethemeing involved... not sure whether they rebuilt the T2 building or just reused it (I think the latter).

(bit sad that there will be no Jungle Mice to read about in this TR :-( )

Ben

CF Legend

Wisteria Lane has been totally neutered, leaving just a couple of houses before it hits a fence. Makes sense really given the size of the set, they’re not making Desperate Housewives anymore and it’s hardly going to go down as a classic, must-see show.

What.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Seriously though, what film is the house from? Is it a well known film? Is it in the imdb top 250?

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

gavin said:

For a moment - I was thinking "Why is there a special K poster there?"

PS - That film was "whatever happened to baby Jane" aren't I clever???

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: California and Vegas Pt 2: Magic Mountain

Ben said:

Not reading it, as I LOVED Desperate Housewives, but it hasn't got the staying power to make it a classic show amongst the general plebeian population. They're wrong, obviously, but that is the truth of the matter.

cjbrandy said:
Seriously though, what film is the house from? Is it a well known film? Is it in the imdb top 250?

It's not in the IMDB top 250, but any list voted for by slack-jawed, popcorn-guzzling idiots who think that Lord of the Rings should make the top ten while All About Eve languishes at number 93 is clearly not to be trusted.

It always makes the various lists of top horror films though, though I'd class it as more of a psychological thriller myself.

caffeine_demon said:
That film was "whatever happened to baby Jane" aren't I clever???

Apparently not clever enough to punctuate titles correctly, but yes, the best film of all time in the history of the universe is indeed "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?"

Whatever+Happened+to+Baby+Jane+cover+(250x300).jpg

whatever22.jpg

6a00d83453b09469e2017743bb6f62970d-pi

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

/\ Thanks, I'll try and watch it soon to see if it is as good as you claim!

Darren B

Giga Poster

gavin said:
The new ride this year is Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. The queue time was posted at 90 minutes

I only queued for 15 minutes when I went lol

Martyn B

CF Legend

Wow, if you think that park has enough simulators, I wouldn't bother going back to the Orlando park!

Admittedly, since I visited they've added Transformers and Potter v2, so that may have helped. But the Mummy was the only thing that park had going for it.

I love reading your reports Gavin, can't wait for the next part!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

gavin said:
caffeine_demon said:
That film was "whatever happened to baby Jane" aren't I clever???

Apparently not clever enough to punctuate titles correctly, but yes, the best film of all time in the history of the universe is indeed "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?"

Well waddya know - I'd never noticed the space in "What ever" before - but my brain must have been on holiday when I missed the question mark!

Anyway - looking forward to the rest of your report!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Six Flags Magic Mountain

The next morning I woke up earlier than I’d planned, so just decided to head out to Magic Mountain a bit earlier to make sure I gave myself plenty of time. It turned out to be a bit too early, but anyway.

I’d been here before back in 2010, luckily managing to get most of the major coasters (Batman and Superman were down) despite not arriving until the afternoon thanks to going with non-enthusiast friends who couldn’t grasp the importance of getting there at a reasonable time.

It wasn’t too difficult to get to, having to just get a bus from North Hollywood station to some bus terminal (Santa Clarita) then a local bus from there. I think it took about 90 minutes from the time I left the hotel. The bus stop is right here:

SAM_5989_zps15bbb500.jpg

The park entrance is a bit of a walk.

SAM_5991_zps3de7906c.jpg

I ended up having to wait for about 45 minutes before the gates were actually opened, and as it turned out I ended up leaving a couple of hours earlier than I’d expected, so I didn’t really need to get there that early.

I’d booked a flash pass queue bot thing online, which turned out to be a very good idea. I just got the regular one, which didn’t include X2 or Full Throttle, which doesn’t actually shorten waiting times, but allows you to join the virtual queue. This, combined with single rider lines on some stuff, meant that I had to wait for very few rides the whole day.

Since X2 wasn’t on the flash pass, I just headed straight there, booking myself onto Tatsu in the meantime. The queue was about half an hour and I managed to bag a front row ride – I was put into about the 5th row, but noticed an uneven number for the front row, so just moved.

SAM_5996_zps7d096ce4.jpg

I’d ridden this before and loved it, and this time was no different. There’s definitely something to be said for the front row though, especially on that first drop. Brilliant stuff.

By the time I got off, my fast pass was ready for Tatsu, but on the way I nabbed a couple of other rides. My initial plan for the day was to get any new coasters, or those that were closed last time, plus reride the stuff I’d enjoyed last time. There was a whole bunch of stuff I wasn’t initially going to bother with, but using the pass and single rider lines freed up a lot of time.

Since Viper and Revolution – two of the coasters I wasn’t going to bother with – both had single rider lines and I pretty much had to go past them anyway, I ended up riding. Viper is actually pretty decent for an Arrow looper. Revolution is a boring piece of **** though. **** nostalgia; it’s crap.

SAM_6001_zps0c308b82.jpg

SAM_6008_zpse7b8e8b8.jpg

Just a quick note on single rider lines at Magic Mountain; they’re brilliant! Basically, they’re pretty hidden. There’s no big single rider sign with a split entrance, but rides that have it just have a small sign off to the side somewhere, pointing to an exit area. I never saw anybody using them the entire time I was there. Often, single rider lines will get groups who don’t want to wait and don’t mind getting split up, but because the lines here were so inconspicuous, I’m guessing most people had no idea they were there.

Luckily, I’d checked it out beforehand otherwise I probably would have missed them too, but for the rides that had it, I walked on every single time. Like I said, combining this with the queue bot for rides that didn’t have single rider meant that I only had to wait for a couple of rides the whole day.

Tatsu then.

SAM_6003_zps2a045d9e.jpg

I thought I had some more pictures of it, but apparently not. Anyway, it was just as good as I remembered it and is still my favourite flyer. Using the queue bot just basically dumps you right into the station, free to choose your seat (something that I really like about this place is that there’s no assigned seating for the most part), meaning that I bagged another front row ride without any extra waiting time.

Full Throttle was one of the rides that I actually had to wait for. The signs said an hour, but it was more like 45 minutes which wasn’t too bad at all really. The throughput was much better than I expected.

SAM_6010_zps13059359.jpg

SAM_6012_zps527f5ca8.jpg

Despite not being overly impressed during the construction of it, I really liked this. The loop is fantastic, taken at the perfect speed for a bit of comfortable hangtime, and it has some decent airtime coming back over the loop the other way.

SAM_6035_zps515ade0c.jpg

I can understand the disappointment that this wasn’t the huge, terrain, multi-launcher that people wanted, but it’s actually a really decent coaster.

SAM_6040_zpsb3fa2785.jpg

SAM_6045_zpsdd0e2473.jpg

I hadn’t done any of the kiddy coasters last time (I think a couple of them were new this time anyway), and, luckily, they’re all just shoved together. Few young kids at the park meant a quick walk-on to grab the +4 within about 10 minutes – they really are that close to each other in a little kiddy area - complete with eye rolls from the ride ops who must be used to enthusiasts making tits of themselves.

SAM_6014_zps630b2416.jpg

SAM_6017_zps28797819.jpg

SAM_6020_zps95ede76c.jpg

SAM_6021_zps378ddc6b.jpg

I’d booked myself onto Superman, which had been closed last time – I think because it was when they were turning the trains around – so walked straight on again.

SAM_6038_zps8a9e6f1a.jpg

SAM_6027_zps55c85fe4.jpg

I’d done the one in Australia a few months before, and not been particularly impressed due to it barely making it past halfway up the tower. This one was much better in that respect, making it most of the way up. The really long tunnel on Australia’s makes the actual launch a lot better though, so they kind of even out.

I booked myself on again (30 minute wait) to get the other side and decided to do Ninja in the meantime.

SAM_6036_zps81dde62a.jpg

I wasn’t overly impressed with this last time, but a lot of people seem to like it, so I thought I’d give it another chance. It was definitely better than I remembered it. The queue was empty but with a full station.

SAM_6046_zps42428686.jpg

This wouldn’t have been too bad, but they were running it with one train, no doubt due to the accident a couple of weeks previously, meaning that it took about half an hour. This was fine since I had to wait for Superman anyway and it was in the same area.

I headed down/around to the back end of the park where a lot of the rides are. Crappy mine train was still crappy.

SAM_6043_zpsc78a827c.jpg

Lex Luther, the drop tower attached to Superman had a single rider line, which meant three walk-ons in quick succession since I had time to kill before my booking on Batman about 40 minutes later.

SAM_6075_zpsbe6c6c38.jpg

It’s a really good drop tower, mostly because of the lapbar restraints making it feel way more exposed than the usual, restrictive style. It also seems to break pretty late down the drop as well.

Riddler’s Revenge was also a walk-on with single-rider, meaning I managed to skip an hour-long queue twice within about 10 minutes.

SAM_6031_zps1894b56d.jpg

SAM_6032_zpsbfa19091.jpg

I really like this coaster as well. I’ve been on 4 of the 7 B&M standups now, and this is by far the best one I’ve done.

SAM_6074_zps7f6e1e0e.jpg

Batman had been down last time I was here, so it was good to mop it up. I hadn’t done one of these clones for a while and forgotten how intense they can be. I still prefer most of the custom layouts though.

SAM_6052_zps6c648f50.jpg

SAM_6058_zpsf1be7c8e.jpg

SAM_6060_zpsebad8c8f.jpg

This thing was next, purely for the +1 since it was new since my last visit.

SAM_6051_zpse46aab41.jpg

Luckily it had single rider because I probably would have skipped it if I’d had to wait. Having just ridden Insane less than a couple of weeks before, I really wasn’t in the mood to ride its clone. Anyway, it’s a cred, so it got done.

SAM_6057_zpsf8570613.jpg

I’d really liked Apocalypse - or Terminator as it was back then - on my previous visit, but it didn’t do much for me this time around unfortunately.

SAM_6062_zpse926efbc.jpg

SAM_6071_zps9ec146b4.jpg

SAM_6066_zpsc4b2e7f1.jpg

The same can be said for Goliath. I really liked this coaster last time around, but found it pretty mediocre this time.

SAM_6025_zps18cc3194.jpg

I could be that I’ve ridden quite a few more coasters since then, though admittedly not many (any?) new hypers, or it could be that last time we got one of the last trains of the night and the night ride was just an overall better experience. Shame really as I’ve always defended this coaster in topics before, but I now get why a lot of people really don’t rate it.

SAM_6079_zpsda4bc618.jpg

Colossus had one of the longer queues in the park, undoubtedly because it only had about a week of operation left. Plus, it was, predictably, only running one side. I’d been lucky enough to nab both sides on my last visit, so was tempted to skip it, but again used the flash pass while I was riding other stuff. Just realising I’ve got no pictures of the actual coaster – it’s not actually easy to get pictures of from inside the park, at least from what I could tell without really bothering to look for a decent vantage point.

SAM_6094_zps5bdc730e.jpg

SAM_6082_zpsac1bb6bf.jpg

SAM_6081_zps900b71f8.jpg

While I was waiting for Colossus, I had a couple of rides on Scream, which only had about a 20 minute queue.

SAM_6086_zps20d53018.jpg

SAM_6087_zpsded7e23d.jpg

Yet again, this was a coaster that I’d really liked before, but was less impressed this time. It’s definitely down to the night ride the first time, when the whole car park thing wasn’t noticeable. It really shouldn’t detract from the ride, which itself is actually pretty good, but it really does.

SAM_6089_zps74ff234c.jpg

I should probably mention that the ride ops on this were pretty bad as well, which didn’t help. Operations had been really good throughout the day – maybe I wasn’t noticing since I was skipping most of the lines – but it was pretty piss-poor on Scream, with a lot of younger staff (maybe 5 or 6) just pissing about in the control booth while two older members of staff did all the work. Yeah, it was only a 20 minute queue, but it could probably have been half that.

I’m not one of these people to shout “YOU’RE WRONG!” if my personal experience doesn’t match that of the majority – pisses me off when people can’t accept that not everyone has had the same experience as them and that things can change - but both times I’ve visited this park, operations and staff have been really good. I guess I’ve been lucky really as a lot of reports seem to say the opposite.

Final picture:

SAM_6093_zpsad112010.jpg

The park was open until 9 I think, with the last buses out at around 8:30. There were buses from the park to the transit center after park closing I think – quite a few staff seem to use them – but there wouldn’t have been a connection back to LA on a later bus. That was all irrelevant anyway as I ended up leaving at about half six. I’d done everything I wanted to do and more, and I was shattered from waking up so early and still catching up with time differences etc., so decided to call it a day a bit earlier.

I loved this park the first time around, and I still do, despite some of the coasters not quite living up to the way I remembered them. All in all it was a great day, with 8 new creds (4 kiddy admittedly), rides on one of my favourite steel coasters (X2), my favourite stand-up and favourite flyer, the world’s tallest drop tower (at the time) and loads of other stuff that I’d planned to basically take or leave depending on time, which turned out not to be an issue.

So yeah, advice to anyone going is to get the cheapest Flash Pass – you really don’t need the upgraded ones if you’re clever with how you use it – get to X2 as soon as the park opens, and look out for the single rider signs which nobody seems to notice: Riddler’s Revenge, Green Lantern, Lex Luther, Revolution, Viper. You can have a great day at this place without having to actually wait for very much at all. Like I said, I managed to ride all the coasters (with some rerides) plus the drop tower three times and still had two and a half hours to spare at the end.

Next time – Knott’s Berry Farm

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Yeah, it was even more noticeable in person. It really doesn't "pop" from the background like it used to. Still a great ride though and actually scared me a bit being so high up with some really strong forces going against the restraints.

TilenB

Strata Poster

I agree with you on almost everything you said about Magic Mountain (apart from Riddler's, but that mostly goes down to me not liking the standing sensation on a roller coaster). I thought of it as an amazing park with great coasters!
USH doesn't seem to have added anything else than 2 simulators in the past 3 years. Apart from Studios Tour, it still seems like a waste of whatever the entrance pprice now is... Pfft.

PS: Don't you need a kid to ride the smallest of the kiddie coasters in SFMM? I didn't do any of them on my visit, but I think I can recall reading somewhere that Magic Flyer was only for toddlers.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ That's what I thought, but I just walked straight on it. There were people riding with their kids. No idea if they've changed a restriction or it was just a ride op not caring.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

It's really nice to read a report of SFMM from someone who has a very positive view of the park. I absolutely loved the park on both my visits and I've never had any problems with operations and staff at the park either. I have actually always thought that Full Throttle looks like a very good ride, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'll admit it could do with a good water ride (RIP Log Jammer :( ) and a few more flats, but the coaster selection is exceptional with X2 and Tatsu being the stars.

marc

CF Legend

Great report as normal, also nice to see a good report on the park.

I have no idea why the park gets slated everyone from the UK that I know that's been there had none of the problems that keep getting reported.