What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg 5/2/14

CanobieFanatic

Roller Poster
Oh boy, I've put this off for enough now. Keep in mind this was 2 months ago and this is all from my memory. Here goes!

First off, this was on a school trip with 70 people. But we had the freedom to walk around as we wanted, with specific meet-up times. So the first thing my friends and I wanted to do was ride Griffon. We passed by the eagles (they were epic) headed straight for it, and we had 2 (count 'em) TWO walk on's, one in the back row, one in the front. Oh boy, was that ride amazing (but let's save it for the ride review). Then we headed to Alpengeist, through the bridge into New France. We went in the front row, again, a walk on. I loved it. My friends thought it was so intense. So after, we went back all the way to Festa Italia. (Germany was closed at the time, no shortcuts) We gave Apollo's Chariot a go. We went in the front row (walk on, no surprise) and boy, I loved it, but not as much as Griffon. Then we decided to try it from the back. HOLY COWABUNGA. What a great ride! So much better in the back! It was enough to give it third place (second at the time). So after that, we went over to Oktoberfest to ride Verbolten. There was a short 10 minute wait, but we got in the front row, and it was actually better than Griffon in my opinion. So after that, we went on Mach Tower, and it is a fun drop tower (not as fun as Scream, but hey, it's still good). Then we went through Germany to go on Loch Ness, and surprise! We couldn't find the bridge to Scotland. It took around 10 minutes, but we finally got there. This coaster had the most overrated, longest line in the park. It was half an hour, on a school day in May! It was certainly a fun ride, but not really THAT great. Just another Arrow. That's why we only rode it once.

After this, it was time for the first group meet-up. We had lunch at the Squires Grille, easily the best amusement park food I've ever had. Another friend joined our group and the friend who had eaten lunch with me at Squires went over to ride Apollo again, while the other friends had lunch in Festa Italia. The line had increased to about 10 minutes, but it was fine. We rode in the second to last row. So we met up and went on Escape from Pompeii. A pretty good water ride, but we got stuck for 15 minutes right before the station. They gave us Quick Queues for a free ride on EFP, but it was a walk on! :'( Anyways, after, we got some Dippin' Dots (a total of three times that day) So after this, my friends wanted to ride some flats in Festa Italia. To this I said hell naw, and rode Apollo solo in the back row, with a 20 minute line.

Then it was time for the second meet-up. After this, it was just me and another friend.We went to New France to take a ride on Alpengeist again. It had a 20 minute wait and we went in the back row. My friend (who said it was very intense in the front row) liked it a lot more, because it was not as intense. I, on the other hand, thought the front was much more fun. So after this we went to ride Verbolten again. Then we actually decided to go on the train, and we met someone from NH who worked at Busch Gardens :D . It was worth it, a totally scenic ride and it was so much fun. We left at Tweedside and took the entire lap around the park. After this, it was about time to go, so I made a stop at Vesuvius Grill and got a Pizza in a Cone (very good, actually) and then headed back to the bus to go to Golden Corral. This was the best day I've ever had, in the most beautiful park I've ever seen.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is the best park I've ever been to, and if you've never been, I HIGHLY suggest going. It is TOTALLY worth it.

Ride Reviews:

Coasters

Griffon: An amazing dive machine. The drops are fantastic! The immelmans are a bit lacking, however, but it's still a whole lot of fun. My friend's hair was like Jimmy Neutron's during the MCBR! The splashdown is fun, hanging off the edge is a thrill, it's so smooth, and just a great ride!
9/10
Alpengeist:
This is a great ride! Many people disagree, but I love inverts, they are so much fun. The intensity is most prominent in the front, the first drop is INSANE, the inversions are magnificent, and the G's, well, whoa. It's a little rough, but it's all right. I totally love the theming.
8/10
Apollo's Chariot: What can I say? Best ride at the park, so much fun. The restraints are amazing, the first drop is epic, the airtime is epic, the helix is amazing, hell, even the pre-drop is fun. The floater air is very strong, the speed is great, everything about this ride is crazy good. That's why it's my number 3 coaster. (Bizarro and Toro are only above it because ejector)
10/10
Verbolten: Such a great family coaster! The theming is the best I've ever seen on a ride. The restraints are very comfortable. The launches are smooth and thrilling. The indoor section is very fun and disorienting. The drop is unique, and a lot of fun. The drop into the river gives some nice air, and the positive G's are great. This coaster is better than Griffon in my opinion.
9.5/10
Loch Ness Monster: It's a fun ride. The drop is pretty fun, the lifts are slow as hell, the loops are pretty good, the helix is nice, but it's just an OK Arrow. Nothing special about it in my books (except for interlocking loops) but it's a fun ride, and it's better than a lot of coasters I've been on.
7/10

Flats

Mach Tower: It's a great drop ride, but it's nothing worth describing too much.
8.5/10
Train: It's a nice, relaxing, experience with a great view. Very peaceful, but fun!
8/10
Escape from Pompeii: This is a nice water ride, not as good as Boston Tea Party, but it's pretty fun and I like the indoor part. Got stuck on it, though!
7/10

Thanks for reading :D

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I find it interesting that a lot of people seem to really like verbolten, because I just can't see why in the POV's. Anyway I will be able to see when I hopefully ride it in 4 days and I won't count it out of the running for a top 30 contender just yet, even though I still doubt it.

Anyway good report, despite it has left my frazzled as to why you'd name a 'tidal wave' style water ride (assuming it is) Boston tea party :)