What's new

BTCC 2010

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think I've seen a race there, just played it on games. It's rubbish for that (unlike Oulton), but the racing was brilliant to actually watch.

Yeah, I did think a few times that the "rubbing" wasn't really needed. It's what makes it a little more interesting, but I do think that to deliberately barge somebody out of the way to get past does count as "cheating".

When the racing is clever and good, it's tight, fast and exciting. When it's simply "oh, I'll just barge past" it's a bit rubbish.

The fact they're not scared to touch makes it, but it does seem to be encouraged too much (Tim Harvey is a smug git anyway).

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Tbh most of the current field aren't that bad, It's only Neal and Plato who drive like banger racers.

That finish between Shedden and Collard was sooo entertaining though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone watch Silverstone yesterday? Dull first race and half, but it livened up towards the end of the second race, and the third race was pretty good. Nothing spectacular though.

Good news for me though, Donington has been confirmed and tickets can now be bought! Hurrah!!!
http://www.barc.net/shop/acatalog/Briti ... _2010.html

jayjay

Giga Poster
Yeah. The third race was great fun to watch. Rob Collard was being fairly twattish in that race. Quite a violent pass he made on Chilton on the last lap (edit: no wait, that was race 2). Normally I'd complain about the Fords being a little bit unfair but when I think about it, they're not breaking any rules and really, Jason Plato whinging about them constantly just makes me want them to win. I think the best part of that set of races was the various battles with Sheddon, Neal and O'Neill. Lots of overtaking.

Still haven't had a race yet to battle with last year's final Brands Hatch race.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm hoping it's heading that way again Jayjay, but we'll see.

Collard was getting quite pushy, but it did make a difference. I suspect he was frustrated with the Ford "team orders" getting in his way.

Chilton deserves it anyway I'm sure :lol:

The Fords are doing really well, but it's taken them all season to manage it. Also, I've noticed the BMWs tend to pick up the pace much better later on, if they can survive long enough, they do challenge, particularly Collard.

Plato is a whining git.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Woop, just back from Donington to see this.

Great weekend, but limited vision currently around the track. You couldn't see the new chicane, which is a pain as that's where most of the action seemed to happen.

Can anyone tell me what happened to Plato in the first race? Whatever, he deserved it and we cheered when we found out he was off :)

Some good stuff, but not the best of races from what we could see sadly. Still awesome weekend and we got to meet Plato :( , Neal :(, Sheddon, Onslo-Cole and Chilton :(. Also, we got to meet Damon Hill who was looking after his lad who is running in the Formula Ford series.

Can't wait for the final in a couple of weeks time :)

Martyn

Giga Poster
furie said:
Can anyone tell me what happened to Plato in the first race? Whatever, he deserved it and we cheered when we found out he was off :)

It was most amusing. Plato did his usual trick of giving the car in front (Neal) a nudge in the braking zone, which meant Neal had to cut the chicane and go through the foam barriers. That also meant because Neal had more speed into the chicane he came out of it before Plato and sideswiped him into the wall.

Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjChl4EmFn4

Where were you watching from then? Speccy viewing at the chicane has never been great.

It was quite funny actually, I had BTCC on the TV most of the day (because I was just cleaning the house and stuff) but I had FIA GT1 at Portimao streaming on my laptop too. There was an interview with a driver who wasn't happy about some poor driving in the race, he basically said "if you want to drive like that, go to touring cars" and then that happened on the TV... haha!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent, cheers Martyn. They need screens covering the chicane, that looked fantastic. :)

Got to love the touring cars, I like the close racing it encourages, it's just that twats like Plato ruin the actual enjoyment of solid racing.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Ridiculous move by Plato especially considering that he's fighting for a championship. He can be as bad as Neal a lot of the time. Hope Neal or him don't win the title, I used to like Jason but his constant whining about the Fords this year has made me dislike him.

I'm supprting Onslow-Cole for the title, one of the nicest people I've met in motorsport.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Unless something drastic happens, I think it's inevitable that Plato's got a win coming. Shame, because I've grown tired of his "ooooh, the Fords are a farce. I could strap a big powerful engine onto my car. I can't catch them in the straights, but I still overtook them but I'm still complaining..." Out of the four with the chance, I'd prefer Gordon Shedden to take it. I would rather it was Chilton leading the Fords but I don't mind if Onslow-Cole to win either. But really, I think for Jason to not win would need another incident like at Donington to take him out for the day. To be honest, I wish the championship still had Turkington and Giovannardi.

Hopefully Brands will be as good as it was last year.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Onslo-Cole reminds me of Turkington. Nice lad, racing as fair as possible to win. He's been a bit hit and miss on the pace front though, but it would be nice to see him in the top three at the end.

Plato just winds me up and always has. Neal is a tosser on the track, but Plato is off the track too. Plato fights just as dirty as Neal too, but he's always much quicker to find excuses and to blame everyone but himself. His arrogance just annoys me.

Chilton is a bit of a prick as well, but at least he's honest about it :lol:

Sheddon is a good racer too though and I'd prefer to see him take the lead over Neal in the Hondas.

I do think Plato will win, but I also suspect Neal will be trying to make sure there's an incident like last weekend ;)

jayjay

Giga Poster
Well, it's all over for the year. Can't say I like the results, hopefully Sheddon or Onslo-Cole will rise up next year. I couldn't watch the last two races unfortunately, since I was busy doing uni work. Were they worth catching up on at all?

Martyn

Giga Poster
I watched a very small amount of the last race, but turned over because it wasn't very interesting.

I did hear that apparently Chilton claimed the team was short on budget this season. Pfft.