What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Project 2017

This has got me stupidly excited again. I was waiting for you to post about your tweets with Amanda Lofty! I saw them and was shocked and then couldn't believe you didnt mention it on here, obviously didnt want to post the convo on your behalf though.

Also i believe it was discussed some time ago that the park doesnt require planning permission on any of their rides? I've read this a fair few times on the internets now and its pretty amazing if its true. Can anybody provide any actual evidence of this?

Although BPB don't have to worry about planning permission, the park is very near to Blackpool Airport, meaning that plans to build tall structures require approval from the Civil Aviation Authority.

http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co.uk/html/iceblast_main.htm

Smithy

Strata Poster

Quick google and I've seen a few forums say they don't need planning permission, which seems odd but possibly plausible, and the only things I've found where planning permission is discussed as a requirement involved "The Bigger One" which would have left the confines of the park and crossed the road and thus definitely would have required planning permission.

spicy

Giga Poster

A Helix style coaster at BPB would be immense. I really hope it's something like that.

Martyn B

CF Legend

It makes sense that they shouldn't require permission really, The Big One practically acts as a giant wall for the park.

PeteA

Roller Poster

Yeah the park is unique in that the only planning permission it needs is if a structure is above xx height. (I am not sure what height it is). This then requires permission from the civil aviation authority due to the proximity of the airport / helecopter tours which do travel in the area.

If memory serves me correctly isnt this lack of planning required due to Watson Road and the Bond Street extension which caused the park to remove the Velvet Coaster and convert it into Roller Coaster? (No 100% sure though)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

PeteA said:
If memory serves me correctly isnt this lack of planning required due to Watson Road and the Bond Street extension which caused the park to remove the Velvet Coaster and convert it into Roller Coaster? (No 100% sure though)

That's what I thought. The problem is, we could have both heard that from the same source which isn't guaranteed to be true.

It's one of those "facts" that everyone knows, but nobody actually has any kind of proof of. I've no doubt it is true and has been conveyed in the past from the MDs of the business to people in the know (like Andy Hines or somebody) - it's just there's no written documentation that's available for us to see.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

PeteA said:
Yeah the park is unique in that the only planning permission it needs is if a structure is above xx height. (I am not sure what height it is).

For the right values of xx, that's true for every park, so I wouldn't really call it "unique" :--D

I get your meaning, though. I don't think it means that much for what type of coaster they end(ed?) up purchasing, but it certainly removes a few potential bureaucratic hurdles.

Also, judging by what people have said about Amanda Thompson here, she [strike]sure likes fountains[/strike] seems to be capable of picking the right type of ride to go for. She hasn't been that trigger happy with the "build new coaster" button I'm pretty sure is installed somewhere in the executive office of every theme park, but it sounds like she has quality in mind and listens to enthusiasts. Whatever coaster Blackpool eventually ends up with, I don't think it will be a bad one.

Come to think of it, truly bad coasters seem to be a rarity these days...

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Pokemaniac said:

52950.jpg

From RCDB

Dar

Hyper Poster

To be honest, I think it's less a case of Amanda's discerning eye, and more the fact that they've been skint for years!

mouse

Giga Poster

Lofty said:
An insider of the park has informed me that, apparently, they've purchased a Mack launch coaster with two launches.
xwhZ2XW.gif

tomahawk

Strata Poster

You know another Mack coaster with 2 launches? Manta at Sea World San Diego. Never saw (in my smimming) that it would be a large multi launch, but just trying to keep those grounded who are jumping to conclusions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
Pokemaniac said:

52950.jpg

From RCDB

Hmm, rode it twice... Would have gone a third time if I had the tickets for it. Thunderbolt isn't that bad, its just kinda clunky and lacks adequate padding on the seats.

Lofty

CF Legend

I think the project (if done correctly) has the potential to eclipse all other uk investments for the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

mouse

Giga Poster

To be fair, Amanda could present a turd on a plate and it would have the potential to eclipse all other UK investments for the next few years.

But I'm excited...

rob666

Hyper Poster

I read in one of my Blackpool local history books that the Pleasure Beach were given freedom to build within the park by the local council, in exchange for the foreshore land they owned for the new promenade to be built, when the tramlines were extended south to Star Gate.
There was no planning permission for the Big One that I am aware of,
they just got the nod regarding height from the aviation authorities because of the close proximity to the airport.
Cant find the actual quote from any of the books though...sorry.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Taking it on face value that it will be a Mack twin launcher Helix style ride.

BPB have a monumental task in marketing it because I just can't see how they can have a selling point that will draw people in, they don't even advertise nationally ffs and when they do stretch their legs with advertising it's for their ice dancing show.

Idk I guess I just worry that a lot of the GP south of Brum will never bother with BPB even if they got what would be the best coaster in the country just because it doesn't have a USP that draws them in like tallest fastest etc

Lofty

CF Legend

A launch coaster for Pleasurebeach will be easy to market for them. Their marketing teams are exceptional and this new investment will have the Blackpool tourism board involved, therefore the Lancashire tourism board and the Fyle tourism board, not to mention the benefits it'll do to Northern Rail and First Trans Pennine in which they'll promote the **** out of it, so in other words, a LOT of avenues of promotion.

Ben

CF Legend

Oh Smithy, you think like the marketers at Merlin.

"There's no gimmick, it won't draw people in!"

Helix drew people in - a good quality ride is practically its own marketing. And then just show everyone it will be a great, new, huge, brilliant roller coaster and people will come.

And then pray to God it'll make Merlin go "huh. Probably should build an RMC".

Lofty

CF Legend

I think it'll be truly fabulous, whatever they do! Sincerely hoping if it is the rumoured launch coaster that the second rolling launch isn't incredibly slow and drawn out like a slow magma stream :lol: