What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
My main point is that the launches are incredibly different and really can't be compared? You wouldn't compare a Premier Sky Rocket II with Rita, would you?

No but you can still compare the top speed which in both cases would be the speed in which the coaster is launched to. I'm not trying to compare the intensity / acceleration of the launches because you are right they are completely different. I'm solely comparing the top speed which is the speed the coaster exists the launch, having a rolling launch, compressed air launch or triple spike launch doesn't affect that

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
The fact that CBT and STOE are triple rolling launches doesn’t make any difference to the overall launch speed which is what this whole discussion is about?

But the discussion was also about speed (maximum, average, inferred by the rider depending on near misses etc.). A launch into a slow spike is incredibly different to the build up of speed across multiple launches.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
But the discussion was also about speed (maximum, average, inferred by the rider depending on near misses etc.). A launch into a slow spike is incredibly different to the build up of speed across multiple launches.

No, the discussion was about top speed. Well at least i deemed it to be after you listed the top speed of various coasters?

I don't know anything about any 'reduction in speed' but the current RCDB stats speak for themselves:
Helix: 62.1 mph
Taron: 72.7 mph
Icon: 49.7 mph

I know, speed isn't everything. And we should always wait for the final result. But...

Im not saying the launch process is the same, i thought i made this clear when replying to Lofty?

I'm not trying to compare the intensity / acceleration of the launches because you are right they are completely different.

I am comparing the top speed of each coaster which occurs after Icons launch and after 'the 3 launch process' of STOE. There is 5mph difference between Icon and STOE how is that so incomparable?

Will

Strata Poster
According to RCDB, it has the same top speed as Coaster Express.
Are we supposed to be proving something with these stats?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Throwing another spanner in this discussion, the perception of speed can also differ depending on the track surroundings and proximity to the ground and stuff. Velocity at FL’s top speed (and launch) feels sluggish to me because it’s fully exposed, whereas I reckon Icon’s speed will feel faster due to it’s setting.

Sandman

Giga Poster
And that, my friends, proves that speed does not necessarily make a better coaster.

Pretty much the point I was making by bringing up Velocity. Speed doesn't define a good or bad ride. There are countless faster rides (which people have now pointed out) that aren't great but still faster than Icon. I genuinely believe that if people didn't know the speed beforehand, they'd probably guess it incorrectly anyway. As Ian's post signifies, perception is key. I could have sworn I was going about 90mph on some of my Taron night rides, but I know I wasn't. As long as it flows well, it makes no difference really.

Same for height. Speed and height are the same in that they don't dictate ride quality. I really want Icon to prove that much at least.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Found this on Facebook:-
26910334_10210584885798408_422581286586761486_o.jpg

Not sure when this was taken, but it's taken by a drone and it's by INAWE MEDIA.

Oh, and Skyforce is still there.

Last edited:

Sandman

Giga Poster
Nice find. Really curious to see that initial hill after the first launch put in place. Oh and that disgustingly tight helix up by Steeplechase and Dipper's turnaround. Ugh.

J Rod

Roller Poster
Never realized how tight and low to the ground some of these elements were. Definitely seems like it'll make up for the low speed.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Meh.

Honestly not that hyped for it looking at that image truth be told. I hope they do a fair bit of landscaping because my worry is it's going to feel a bit sluggish. Not in the speed sense, moreso that it's just going to me-ander around and be less of a joined-up-experience and more of a here's a helix here's a corner here's a helix here's a corner here's a hill here's a corner mish-mash of elements. Aesthetically, god it'll look good though from above. Just wish it wasn't such a drab colour.