What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Matt N

CF Legend
I suppose it kind of does, by RCDB's logic, as the Immelmann looks to curve upwards before it's fully inverted, in my opinion.

rob666

Hyper Poster
You are never head over feet though, its like you turn off sideways far too early to call it an inversion.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
unknown.png

inversions.jpg

Yeah I'd count it as an inversion.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but I went to Blackpool for the first time today, and I managed to get 2 rides on Icon! And what can I say; it’s an outstanding coaster!

For starters, the ride has quite a lot of airtime, and some pops that are really quite sudden, in my opinion! I found some of the ride’s pops of airtime to provide different kinds of sensations depending on where you sit. For example, I found the first hill to be more of a sustained floater moment towards the front and more of an abrupt ejector moment towards the back. For reference, I think I rode in row 6 and row 2. I personally found that the majority of the ride consisted of ejector airtime of reasonable strength; I wouldn’t say it was the strongest or most sustained airtime I’ve ever experienced, but it was still awesome, in my opinion! Three particular favourite airtime moments of mine included the first hill, the big drop just before the second launch and the little hill before the ending s-bends. The ride also has some twisty hills that provide some excellent, snappy ejector, in my opinion!

Also, the launches surprised me; the first launch in particular picked up speed far more quickly than it looked to from off-ride! It doesn’t quite have the oomph (is that a word?) of a launch like Stealth’s, for example, but I don’t think it really matters, personally, because on a ride like Icon, I personally think that it’s more about the whole ride experience and how it blends together, whereas on Stealth, the launch is the ride, if you get what I mean. I also loved the second launch, because you’re already going at a decent speed, and then you’re just hit with another huge burst of speed! It is just amazing!

Furthermore, the ride is so smooth and comfortable! I could not personally feel this “Mack rattle” that people talk about with regards to Icon; I thought it was among the smoothest coasters I’ve ever ridden! It might be that I haven’t ridden as many coasters as some, but I personally thought that Icon couldn’t be smoother! The restraints are also super comfortable, and very accommodating, in my opinion! Right up there with B&M clamshells as one of my favourite types of restraint! When we stepped off Icon, my dad commented that Icon’s restraints were up there with Mako’s for reridability, and my dad often finds some types of restraint quite painful, so that’s a win on Blackpool and Mack’s part, in my opinion!

Moreover, I found that the ride had some surprisingly intense moments! For example, some of the bends in the second half especially were quite whippy, in my opinion! Also, these turns were whippy without being jolty or painful, which was just fabulous, in my opinion! When combined with the awesome airtime and the beautifully executed inversions, it just makes for an awesome overall package, in my opinion!

So, in conclusion, Icon is a simply stunning coaster experience not to be missed! I had very high expectations for Icon, but it definitely met them and probably even exceeded them. I must point out that Icon was actually quite a different coaster to what I expected in sections; I knew the second half looked snappy, but Mack LSM coasters often seem to be given the label of being less intense than their Intamin brothers, so I wasn’t expecting an overly intense experience. However, the ride was really quite snappy, in my opinion! So much so that when Icon came into the brake run, I kind of had a less extreme version of that head spinning feeling that Smiler gives you on the brake run! Now, I bet you’ve all been wondering; has it topped Mako as my number 1 coaster? Now, I know I’m going to get a lot of flack for this, but... not quite. I think I preferred Mako because I found Mako to have stronger, more sustained airtime, and there was more of it on Mako, in my opinion. It’s a very close number 2, though, which is still fantastic when compared to the other 54 coasters below it in my count! And besides, airtime isn’t Icon’s main focus! In fact, I don’t think that Icon really has a specific focus; in my opinion, it more focuses on the overall coaster experience. Now before I ramble on for too long, let me wrap up this review by just saying; Icon is an absolutely outstanding coaster; a must do, in my opinion! BPB and Mack have knocked it out of the park here!
P.S. Sorry for long post. Also, I apologise if this review is badly written or if it seems like I've been taken over by new ride hype. The problem is; I genuinely was that smitten with it! I also have a report on the rest of BPB coming if you’d like to read that.

Last edited:

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I've got my first ride when I go back home on Saturday. Shame I did my neck in yesterday at Parque Warner. Hopefully a trip to the physio will fix me up in time.

Matt N

CF Legend
Same here, I love icon. Its almost too good to be true for Blackpool and the UK in general.

You're too apologetic man , it's the best and most appropriate thread for icon talk.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Icon is just an amazing coaster, isn't it?
I've got my first ride when I go back home on Saturday. Shame I did my neck in yesterday at Parque Warner. Hopefully a trip to the physio will fix me up in time.
Hope you feel better soon! Icon is not the sort of coaster that will hurt your neck, so don't worry!

James F

Hyper Poster
Seen as it was your first time at PB what did you think of grand national? I used to really enjoy it years ago, but It has gotten so rough lately that to be it's just painful.
Thanks! Icon is just an amazing coaster, isn't it?

Hope you feel better soon! Icon is not the sort of coaster that will hurt your neck, so don't worry!

Matt N

CF Legend
Seen as it was your first time at PB what did you think of grand national? I used to really enjoy it years ago, but It has gotten so rough lately that to be it's just painful.

Yeah, I found Nash extremely rough, too! There was some good airtime, and the ride kept its pace well, but it really was excruciatingly rough, in my opinion! Not as bad as Infusion, though; dreadful coaster! Let's just say it looks much nicer than it rides!

James F

Hyper Poster
Indeed
Yeah, I found Nash extremely rough, too! There was some good airtime, and the ride kept its pace well, but it really was excruciatingly rough, in my opinion! Not as bad as Infusion, though; dreadful coaster! Let's just say it looks much nicer than it rides!