What's new

Biggest Theme Park Flops

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
P.S. Sorry for long post.

Stop apologizing for post length, or I'll find a way to instate a minimum character limit for your posts.

Also, in the same vein as SoB above, Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg/Europe definitely ranks up there. A huge ride designed for a B&M-style structure and built by Arrow, what could possibly go wrong? Especially considering that Arrow decided to give the B&M-style structure a try, despite never having built anything like it before? Add to this a few revolutionary new elements that should have warranted both computer-assisted profiling and precision track manufacturing in a time where neither of those were available, and the end result was a messed-up ride that stood for six years (give or take some downtime to remove the first inversion), rode as rough as a cheese grater, pushed Arrow towards bankruptcy, and had its reputation ruined by word-of-mouth more than a decade before social media went mainstream. I'd go into more detail, but I couldn't possibly do a better job of it than Defunctland:

In a similar vein, the fate of Six Flags Astroworld was one mighty flop too, and unlike other examples in this thread, it involved the entire theme park. Six Flags was losing money, the property Astroworld sat on looked like it could bring in a fortune if sold for development, and it turned out not to. The whole park was bulldozed to the ground, the land was sold at a fraction of the projected price, and now it just sits there empty while Houston has become the biggest US city to not have any proper amusement parks nearby. And Six Flags had to file for bankruptcy too. Defunctland tells that whole story too, just watch the video above and it will probably appear among the suggested videos to watch next.

Pear

Strata Poster
I still think DBGT is a good idea that if pulled off correctly could be one of the best dark ride experiences in the world.

It's Merlin though so of course they ****ed it up

vaugc002

Hyper Poster
In regards to DBGT, I love that ride when I rode it last year however I thought that it certainly wasn't worth it's price and now having seen how the ride works with the BTS stuff (which I'm not going to post here, it's a secret), it certainly doesn't look it's price tag, heck I didn't know in the finale I was on a motion platform.

I admire Thorpe for building DBGT and just not following whatever's trendy as they usually do. But I think that it suffered from two issues, downtime and lack of clear marketing. What Thorpe need to do in future is find the balance between the creavitity and how well it can be marketed, not one or the other. Towers have learnt the balance with Wicker Man.

But... but the whole point of the Ghost Train is that it is on-trend? Thorpe built it because Derren is kinda relevant. It was an easy win.
The ride concept is maybe more off-trend, but the ride concept in general... I don't think so.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Some epic flops not yet mentioned:
Twist Coaster Robin, Yomiuriland (expensive coaster that operated for one day — a crash broke the coaster on day one)
Skytrak, Granada Studios (though maybe the flop was the park rather than the ride)
Windjammer Surf Racers at Knott’s (insane maintenance issues)

And maybe it wasn’t a coaster, but what was that really expensive ride built on top of an office building that never opened because its operation was found to shake the whole building unsafely? Can’t recall it now.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
And maybe it wasn’t a coaster, but what was that really expensive ride built on top of an office building that never opened because its operation was found to shake the whole building unsafely? Can’t recall it now.

Found it.

Yeah, that's definitely up there. Stranger still is that they didn't dismantle and sell it when they found out it couldn't be used. Seems a waste for it to be still standing, 13 years later, without ever having been open. You'd think they'd give up on it before then.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Found it.

Yeah, that's definitely up there. Stranger still is that they didn't dismantle and sell it when they found out it couldn't be used. Seems a waste for it to be still standing, 13 years later, without ever having been open. You'd think they'd give up on it before then.
That’s the one! Cheers!

Funny that the rcdb blurb says that there are two reported reasons for the closure — 1. Noise complaints from the community; 2. The building could take the weight of the ride on top of it, but engineers failed to account for the stress inflicted on the building by the ride’s lateral forces — and that Intamin claim it’s the latter. I mean, the latter explanation kind of makes them seem like idiots for not anticipating this, but maybe they just want to be honest? Or maybe I’m missing part of the story here.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
Really, I'm not sure how you can talk about theme park flops without mentioning SuperStar Limo at DCA.
A close second for me would be the doomed Submarine Quest at Sea World San Diego.
Both those are listed, with video, as well as a few others, at this article: https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201805/6120/
They also make a pretty good case for Rocket Rods at Disneyland.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Shocked no one has mentioned the biggest theme park flop, Euro Disney. It’s finally financially stable, but it was losing millions a day for the first few years and still struggles with the insane amount of hotel rooms it has. It was the flub that almost killed Disney and really hurt the theme park renaissance that could’ve come with the Disney renaissance. Then they built Walt Disney Studios which was another insane failure, without the beauty or ride quality of its sister park.

Someone mentioned Superstar Limo, but I’ll throw in DCA circa 2001. It was a financial and critical flop as well as having a joke about the harassment of the “casting couch.” Ya that didn’t age great.

Snoo

The Legend
Anything in Dubai to be honest. A lot has been promised and started but never moved forward.
Drachen Fire obvs
Hard Rock Park, which I was lucky enough to visit before opening but never did for it's short tenure.