What's new

Big America 2009

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Hello everyone from the States, I'm currently sitting in a Holiday Inn typing this fun stuff up...

Anyway this is gonna be a park report more than anything as days of doing other things aren't really being done due to time and what-not...

Anyways, after an hour delay on the plane and a long immigration queue we got to Getteysburg ready for the first park...

Park 1 - Hersheypark

Ah, two great things in life combined into one nice place, coasters and chocolate... All set up for a tasty day in general...

Got to the park at 9:30 and it looks so beautiful, lots of trees and nice buildings introduce you to the park and really have a good atmosphere with very well chosen music to aid along (Lollipop for example) with it...

These reports are basically gonna consist of ride reviews, so let's go...

Stormrunner

First ride of the trip and an Intamin, which naturally, was shut first thing... However, we were only waiting for an attendant to appear and within a few minutes we were sat on the front ready to go...
This is the best Accelerator I have been on... Simple as... Not the fastest or the biggest but the extra inversions and what-not made it a very good ride overall, indeed, the Flying Snake Dive and Zero-G were perhaps the two best moments of the ride and it didn't really lose its speed throughout, certainly a great way to start this trip...

9/10

Sidewinder

Oh joy, a Boomerang... Either way it's the loudest and smoothest, with only one rough point for me, so defo one of the better ones, but still, it's a Boomerang...

6/10

Roller-Soaker

To look at this ride is very interesting, it looks very interesting the closer you get to it since the floor around it is very very wet and it kinda gives it a different type of anticipation to it...
We got on the ride, left the station and stopped... The look of the attendants I could tell was the obvious "Why has it stopped?", so we ended up waiting for 10 minutes whilst the engineers sorted it all out for us... But there was no problem really...
The ride itself is very basic and not a lot to it, but the interaction with the water really gives it a fun and silly edge over other rides, so it was a good ride for what it was...

7/10

Wildcat

First wooden of the trip and the first GCI is a good idea considering the more recent GCIs being very well-recieved and it would be interesting to see if the original had some of the elements now famous with GCI...
It does have the twisty drops and small rises and dips, which do make it a good ride, but it is slightly rough on the edges, even for a woodie, nothing too painful but is still very good...

7/10

Wild Mouse

Another basic layout, and it's always weird for me to see a 'plain' one since I'm used to Rattlesnake, and this was a very good one actually, very quick and the brakes neither slowed it down too much nor hurt... Very solid clone here...

7/10

Lightning Racers

This was a ride I was looking forward to after furie's glowing review of the two in his report of Hershey, and neither disappointed...
They were both very good rides, great drops and turns everywhere, and the way in which you never really knew who was going to win until the end at some cases was an excellent part of the ride... Not many actual duelling parts but the ones that were there were very well done and it was just generally a good ride...

9/10

Trailblazer

The first old school ride done on this trip and it's an Arrow Mine Train... And the shortest non-powered I've been on...
With that fact, this isn't the best ride, one drop was decent but that was about it... Certainly the worst coaster in the park in comparison to the others because of similar types...

5/10

Great Bear

Over to the other side of the park and the first real queue since all the others were literal walk-ons, but this was due to the poor ride team it had more than anything... The best example of their ineptness was the opening of the gates when the other train had stacked... When the train should have long gone, it was horrific to watch as a ride op myself considering we get moaned at with stacking trains...
The ride itself was very different for a B&M invert, the random 360 helix before the first drop being the first thing different, then the straights later on... It was different, but it wasn't a good different unfortunately, the ride had few real moments of force so definitely one of the bigger disappointments so far...

6/10

ZooAmerica

After lunch we popped into the zoo which is free with park admission, it was very small and hilly so was very interesting in that respect... No meerkats but this was kind of made up through the wee Pararie Dogs who were similar...
Either way, it wasted 45 minutes...

Sooperdooperlooper

Now for the classic Swarz looping coaster, having only done Scorpion and Revolution these are usually a treat, and this one was an excellent ride, the first drop especially was very forceful, which made a mockery of Great Bear completely... Seems that even evolution can sometimes fail in some senses...
After the loop it was a general meander but still was a very fun coaster, and a lot of little kids came off wanting more, so it fills that gap very very well, solid coaster for the park...

7/10

Comet

The second classic coaster, and this time a Woodie, our ride was delayed however because of a 'protein spill', where me and my parents were the only ones who laughed, but the ops were incompotent again, taking 30 minutes to clean it and not even getting the people off the other train first before cleaning it, again, horrible to watch as a ride operator myself...
The ride was great fun however, giving me great hopes for my next stop Kennywood, as this gave some great airtime throughout and was just generally a fun ride, excellent stuff...

7/10

Reese's Extreme Cup Challenge

The weather was slowly taking a turn for the worse so we decided to take cover into the shooting dark ride...
It was short, but fun, the random coaster-esque drops gave some extra amusement to it, and it was just generall a fun ride to be on...

7/10

Farenheit

The last coaster to ride was the newest ride at the park and the most interesting looking of all of them... However it looked like they had jut taken a train off for whatever reason, bringing them down to two, and resulting in an hour queue for us...
The ride was an interesting experience, getting used to the slight wait for the chain to engage on these vertical lifts now, but waiting for the little pushing devices was very amusing... The drop in the back car was very forceful and the first half of the ride was smooth and fun...
Then the corkscrews came... And they brought headbanging, which was such a disappointment considering how new the ride is, but it's kind of typical of Intamin now to have headbangers so not to unusual, overal the ride was a good experience overall and would definitely have done it again if not for the long queue...

8/10

Chocolate Tour

The rain restarted after we got off Farenheit so we legged it to the innards of the Chocolate World, for the little fake tour of the factory...
It was nice to sit down for 10 minutes and just enjoy the tour, although the singing cows were random but they weren't over-used so not as annoying as they could have been...
The free chocolate at the end was also a bonus...

Unfortunately now the rain was set in for the night, and they had shut Stormrunner and Farenheit due to it so I couldn't get any video footage of them, making a video of the park a void idea... Indeed, I won't be doing anymore videos because of the way in which I cannot enjoy the park as much, and I really prefer taking pictures of new parks now instead...

Hersheypark is a great park overall, in my view the rides are very much above average and give a great ride (bar Great Bear), and the general atmosphere of the park was very good...
The waterpark is also very big and you could easily spend a day there instead if you wanted, maybe taking in the odd ride as well...

The park gets a 9/10...

Next up - Kennywood

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Well, this is popular :lol:

The main reason why there are no photos is because facebook is playing up so I'm only gonna be able to stick them up when i get back, annoying indeed...

Either way, onwards...

Park 2 - Kennywood

So the next park is the literally history musuem of rides Kennywood in Pittsburgh, and the day started well with a choice of free parking (a rarity in the states) to $6 preferred parking... We took the preferred and walked about 2 feet to the entrance...

The park opened at 10:30 with the ride open at 11:00 so we walked down to our first destination of the day...

Phantom's Revenge

Considering my only hyper experience is based on PMBO and Goliath at MM, I wasn't sure what to expect here, especially as it is now a Morgan...

The ride itself however was a brilliant ride, the first drop isn't much special, but the second drop is absolutely amazing, the dive through Thunderbolt's structure and into the valley really makes me want Alton to do something similar, it was fantastic from then on, as the bunny hops came...

As we know from other Morgan's, they like having random hills towards the end, and on Phantom, they were brilliant, mainly as there was still a lot of speed going on, making them wild and exciting, and overall a very fun ride, definitely a suprise for me as I wasn't expecting to much from it, but it deserves the score based upon the second drop alone...

9/10

After doing Phantom again in the back, giving a similar if not better ride than the front, we headed to the next credit...

Exterminator

The other steelie in the park is an indoor spinning Wild Mouse with an interesting theme of a electric company building over-run with giant rats and a pest company in to sort it out (yes it actually has a back-story, I was shocked too), and it had some good theming on the actual ride...

The ride itself however, was shocking and poor... Glad I got it done so I never have to set foot in there again...

5/10

After the crap-ness we did a few of the flats, mainly the Whip, which was very fun and a classic ride, and the newer Swingshot, a Screamin Swing, like Rush, the cycle was short so not that fun, but fun none the less...

Wandering elsewhere, we found the next credit...

Thunderbolt

The first of the woodies we would do was the retracked Pippin coaster, extended slightly to what degree I am not sure, but either way, it produced a very fun ride to say the least...

The first drop of the station into the valley wasn't extreme but very fun, as was the second one into the lift...
What followed was possibly the most extreme part on any wooden coaster I have been on, at the bottom of the drop I was literally flung into the side when it turned, and not only did it do that once, but it did it again to hurt me even more, more thrilling ride on a wooden coaster I have ever been on just based on those two turns...

Two more drops into the valley finished a very exciting wooden coaster and definitely one of the most intense I've been on, re-riding is kinda off due to the pain you can experience in those turns, but still a classic and excellent ride...

8/10

After the pain we needed a sit-down, and since Ghostwood Estate is right next door, we decided to do that, and what followed was an excellent shooting ride, certainly better than Reese's, and possibly better than Tomb and Duel back home, with the way in which each target made something move, it was very impressive, imersive and just generally cool... I liked it a lot...

After more walking we found our next coasters...

Racer

A classic mobius duelling coaster, a la Grand National, however I think Nash edges the contest between these two because the lift hills here are not next to each other, random and weird, and the ride was good fun, though not the best I've been on, especially after Thunderbolt...

7/10

Jack-Rabbit

The final credit and classic at this park, built in the 1920s and was once considered the height of technology and best ride ever, shows how much times have changed overall, but this was a very fun little ride, a very deceptive one in fact...

Although short, the double dip is very intense and exciting, and no doubt the best part of the entire ride, and the valley drops were also entertaining...

7/10

All credits done it was time to walk around and enjoy the other attractions and generally the atmosphere, and Kennywood is a very nice little park, with a good mix of old and new rides, all fun and entertaining to say the least...

The classic Kangeroo ride was very stand-out, as it looked so peculiar as all it is is a circular ride but with a ramp that the cars fly off... It was so entertaining due to the airtime gained and just good fashioned fun...

If Hersheypark's rides were solidly good rides, then Kennywood's were solidly fun rides, each one had people laughing as they got off, and you don't get that often in other parks...

Either way we did most of the other rides, including Garfield's Nightmare which could easily scar children's brains, but it was worth it for the comic strips of him being amusing, would be interesting to go on it when it was still the Old Mill though... C'est la vie, some classics stay classics, some get changed, fortunately many at Kennywood are still there somewhere...

Overall Kennywood is a very good park, and I would happily go back there as it was a very fun park with great atmosphere, kinda like Chessie and Drayton for me, one stand-out ride and some good support ones with an excellent overall atmosphere...

Next up is the big one, Cedar Point... 2 days there from tomorrow, so should be awesome sauce...

Snoo

The Legend
You are an hour from me. Enjoy the experience.

In fact, when you are driving on the highway and see 'Youngtown,' you are about 10 minutes from my cathedral of love. :p

Glad to see your trip is going good buddy. I'd love to come up to CP.. but sadly.. I have no way. If you end up driving past Youngstown again, leave me a message or something, and you can come by and cuddle. :)

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Shocked about Great Bear. I thought it looked good....oh well. How does rate alongside the English Inverts?

I can't wait for your opinions on CP! Brace yourself for Maverick haha ;)

jokerman

Giga Poster
^Either that or you...:p

Mice reports, will be good to see some photos at some point. You're lucky that you got some classics.

peep

CF Legend
Cool trip report so far Mr Inferno :p

Sounds like Kennywood is a cool place, they even have a ride themed to Garfield? That is so awesomes.

Ahh you lucky bastard, I've always wanted to do Hershey, but I dunno when I'll get the chance. I've heard bad things about Great Bear so I'm not really surprised that you didn't like it, but I'm glad you enjoyed the other coasters for the most part!

As for Kennywood, I'll be there in a little over a week, so yay. Sucks you didn't like Exterminator, I mean, I've heard really good things about it as far as that type of coaster goes, anyway.

Excited to hear what you think of Cedar Point's coasters!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I liked Great Bear - however it's wheeee fun, dull, wheee fun, dull, wheeee fun, dull, dull, wheee fun, dull, dull, dull.

The wheee fun bits are really fun though :)

Glad you liked Hershey, it's a great park. Lightning Racer rates highly for me because it's so re-ridable. It's similar to Megafobia in that respect (but not as good), which I love just because it's a ride I could sit on for hours and not get bored with. Sometimes solid fun more than makes up for extreme forces, etc.

Jealous about Kennywood, but I'm glad we did what we did and missed out in the end. It does seem to be a bit like Blackpool with lots of fun, but nothing amazing :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Just got back into my hotel from the first day at the Point, and a quick description is Quantity over Quality...

There are literally 5 coasters that I wanted to go back on, and they were the 4 Intamins and Magnum XL... The rest were either painful or just boring...

Maverick is brilliant, as is Millenium Force, but TTD knocks off the launch of EVERY other accelerator I've been on, Stealth will just be the mediocre ride it's always been even more after Dragster, such a brilliant launch over a nice long period... Excellent stuff...

Full report will be on Saturday as I have another day at Point, so a few re-rides for me to do... Woot...

A-Kid

Giga Poster
^ I take it you were dissapointed by the B&Ms then. I.e. Raptor cobra/brake run and Mantis's leg kill.

Good you like the Intamins though. I found them all awesome :D With Maggy aswell funny enough!

Would you agree that Rush > Skyhawk?

^^ I guess you're kind of right with the whole quantity over quality thing, but when you have seventeen coasters, not all of them are going to be amazing, haha. I'm glad you enjoyed Maverick and Dragster as much as you did, though personally I still don't care all too much for Millennium Force. Did either of those ones make your top ten?

As for the B&M's, I can see why you might have been disappointed with them. Raptor is kind of just "meh", but I still find it a bit of fun. Mantis has a good layout but I can't enjoy it much anymore. The woodies are mostly jokes, except the first half of Blue Streak which is okay!

Looking forward to the full report!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Dragster goes into it defo, top 5 ride for me, the other two I dunno, cos I felt Expedition G-Force had more about it than Millie, and Maverick's roughness kinda puts me off, all will be considered at the end cos I still have 3 more parks :lol:

Full report tomorrow...

^ Anyone who says Maverick is rough needs a slap, because it's not, it just has sharp transitions that you should kind of be prepared for if you knew the layout (which, no excuses, because you can see the turns from the station) :p .

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Even when bracing myself in my usual position for new rides it was still rough, it was mainly a restraint thing more than anything, as I suspected, it's like Rita in that respect in that the way in the which the restraints are done more than the ride, the restraints make it uncomfortable...

Shame really, otherwise it would certainly be in the top 5 for me...

^ Aww, shame then. Like said a million times before, comfort really depends on height with those restraints, so I can't really comment considering you're probably taller than me.

Still a top five for me though :) Top three, in fact.

marc

CF Legend
Yes I am looking forward to reviews and pictures, as I know from seeing your reviews before you have the same views as me a lot of the time.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Ask and you shall recieve...

Park 3 - Cedar Point

The big one, the hyped one, the one with the most coasters in the world, this is the biggest park on this trip and the one I was most looking forward to, so much we had two days to get through it all...

It's an interesting park overall, it's not the concrete playground that some make it out to be, as some places were very well shaded and themed (Frontier Trail is the best example), whilst TTD's area was lacking in shade and what-not... Certainly an inconsistent park on that front...

Also the weather policy was a tad silly, the only problem we had with it was with Blue Streak where dad was on the train behind and got taken off it because of drizzle... DRIZZLE... It was worse at Kennywood where we had done all of their outdoor coasters in it... Been on Rita and Stealth in much worse than both parks, and it was just silly... Bit too knee-jerk reaction tbh...

The park reminded me a lot of Thorpe really, lots and lots of big rides, but not much in the quality rides department, in the end there were only 5 coasters that we wanted to go on again, the 4 major Intamins and Magnum, it was kinda disappointing that for so many coasters, we only really liked less than a third...

Either way, review time...

Maverick

Naturally go to the ride furthest from the entrance first, and after 15 minutes of walking, got into the queue and joined at the end in the building cattlepen...

First thing was the stupidest single rider queue ever... It is on the same last staircase after the building cattlepen, so only knocks off 10-15 minutes of queue... But you still have to wait through the entire two cattlepens... If you're gonna have a queue for singles, at least do it so you don't have to wait an entire hour plus beforehand, if you are by yourself, you would struggle...

Onto the ride itself, and well, it really does have everything you could ask for, the layout is brilliant, the first drop is brilliant, the launch is brilliant, everything is brilliant bar one thing...
The problem is the restraints, which is more a manufacturer problem than the ride, but those restraints don't seem to be great for tight transistions that throw you from side to side, which was such a shame because with different, more comfortable restraints, it would be a perfect ride for me...

9/10

Mean Streak

****, ****, ****, ****, ****, ****, ****, ****, **** and ****...

God almighty this thing is better off as firewood, even a slab of concrete replacing it would be a better experience, by far the WORST wooden coaster I have ever done... I'd give it a 0 if it were on the rating page...

Seriously, it's just awful all around and not worth the effort, damn my credit-hunting...

1/10

Millenium Force

The first real queue of the day (1 hour) and was certainly worth it...

Millie has a great first drop, very hard to decide which of this and Maverick had the better one, possible this due to the freedom given by the lapbars, but it's hard to really decide for me...
Then there's the speed of it, it doesn't lose it throughout, making it a very fast and reasonably intense ride...

However, I dunno why, but I think Expedition G-Force has a bit more about it, I honestly cannot say why I think that, but I think Millie just has the speed and first drop that make it exceptional, but the rest of it is reasonably boring... The turns weren't the more intense and there were so many long straights as well...

9/10

Mantis

Oh joy, a Stand-up... Delightful... They are not the best type of rides and Mantis is not an exception to the rule, usual uncomfortable experience throughout and it was quite rough in a lot of places... Not fun at all...

5/10

Iron Dragon

Old school Arrow, certainly amusing but not exactly good, I prefer Vampire back home a lot more than this one... The entire thing was kinda slow and methodic, even the finale was like that, so it didn't exactly win points... Especially as the amount of actual swinging was quite low in the end...

It didn't bash me about though, which was nice...

6/10

Wildcat

Pinfari goodness, although points lost for not having to be manually pushed out of the station (always gave a little extra I thought)...
It was reasonably intense and fun, didn't slow down until the offload platform which is always good really, I liked it as Pinfaris like this are usually quite fun rides and often under-rated...

7/10

Blue Streak

At least this is better than the big brother at the other side ;)

It was deceptive as well this one, didn't expect a lot but it gave an exciting and fun ride, packs a good punch, perfect young coaster and of course fulfilled old-school criteria...

7/10

Disaster Transport

An interesting one this, the theming (for a Cedar Fair ride) was half decent, although on the ride it was like NWO's theming... It was certainly different and a first for me as I've never done a single car bobsled before... It was certainly a fun ride and air-conditioned is always good...

6/10

Wicked Twister

Only my second one of this after V2 in California, and this has certainly cemented this type as a favourite of mine as they as really fun and intense...

The best place for these I would say would be in the middle, especially this one, as you got a lot of twist on the ride, more than the back or front, and the launch was very good...
Fun operator as well...

9/10

Raptor

Second B&M inverted, and like Great Bear, was disappointing... It had force this time, but not a lot... I base my B&M inverts around Nemesis and this was no Nemmie... The helix had minor forces on it and I keep getting proven that bigger is not better in the case of these...
The first drop was ok, as were the loop and inline but from the Cobra onwards it wasn't the best of rides ever made, although miles better than Great Bear...

7/10

Corkscrew

Classic Arrow, classic pain... God almighty the pain recieved after the airtime hill was hideous... Not a fun ride at all after that...

4/10

Magnum XL-200

More Arrow, and the first hypercoaster, and was completely different to the insomnia cure that is PMBO, was really fun though a wee bit painful on the back in some parts, could compare some of the airtime hills to Phantom's Revenge very easily and it was a very very fun ride overall... 20 years old and it's still got it...

8/10

Gemini[/bhttp://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26339&start=14]

2 credits for the win here... And a very fun racing coaster actually, it doesn't look it but it was quite good, especially as it had more 'Who will win' moments around the track...
Good drops and airtime on it as well, making it very enjoyable overall...

8/10

Woodstock's Express

Kiddie credit with stupidly done seatbelts that could only be released by the operator... How dim...

The best part of this one was the flock of geese underneath the ride getting scared and running around due to the bell located at the front of the time... Aside from that, was a typical Roller Skater...

5/10

Cedar Creek Mine Ride

To think these were once the most exciting rides in the park... God they are just so bad and boring, long straights a good coaster do not make... And that's basically what these rides consist of... It's a good chance to catch a quick 3 minute kip at any rate...

4/10

Top Thrill Dragster

Here it is... Once of course the tallest and fastest, and it is that still for me... Now since I am used to Stealth and Rita, I was still nervous about this... It doesn't look too big from a distance unlike Stealth since the supports go all the way up, when you get up to it you realise that it's an absolute monster...

The noise made from the launch section is amazing as well... Not as awesome as RnR at WDS, but the noise it makes is astounding, and that's just the revving track they have on... The actual noise of the catch-car is immense, being heard from Gemini and the edge of Corkscrew...

The build-up is slow and really just sets you up for it... We decided to get on the second train in order to build up the anticipation of the whole experience...

Waiting was just wow... You can lean across to the side to watch the train in front get launched away, as the lapbars are just wow... The freedom on this is so like Millie and Expo it's just amazing, shortly however, you are moved forward in front of the waiting crowd...

The launch is amazing... Stealth comes nowhere near this experience... It is pure and utter amazement, screams are ripped from the mouths so all you hear is the noise the car makes... It cannot be described in words... I think you would get used to it after a while but we were all buzzing for ages afterwards... It was so effective and certainly my favourite ride in the park... Stealth went nowhere near my top 10, this rockets to number 4...

10/10

The second day just involved doing TTD, Maverick and Millie once more and general meanders around the park...
It was an ok park overall really, I enjoyed most of the rides... Skyhawk was a good Screaming Swing (because it's not at Thorpe ;)), but didn't do MaxAir... A shame but after TTD I doubt anything would have come close to it...

Just for TTD it's worth it, makes Stealth look like the crap ride it is...

Next up, a VIP tour of Kings Island... Including Backstage of the Beast...