What's new

Beyond vertical

They do, but you have no idea

The dive machines have a fantastic kind of floater air time. It's really difficult to explain.

The over 90 degree's are just ejector, but it's no different to any other ejector airtime (IMO). Plus they tend to have the OTSR which I hate with ejector, so the whole thing is just a dead duck for me.

Okay, but Dragster doesn't have OTSR, though I do understand it is obviously way different than a dive machine drop. However, I think I probably have an idea of what kind of airtime it would be, though I have to say, I still would prefer Maverick's ejector to floater, anyday.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Taylor... Imagine Ka being launched down El Toro's first hill - Then halve the speed :lol:

That's pretty much what the B&M DM Floater is. It's up out of your seat, but kind of forced back too in acceleration. It's a very odd kind of airtime that only they give.

I don't care about TTD having lap bars, it doesn't go over 90 degrees so didn't count in what I said :p

^ We weren't discussing whether it went over 90 degrees, we were discussing if I had been on coasters that were 90 degrees.

And well, whatever, I'll ride a dive machine eventually. I was just giving my opinion based on 90°+ rides I have been on.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ We weren't discussing whether it went over 90 degrees, we were discussing if I had been on coasters that were 90 degrees.

Yes, exactly. Read my post! I hate being ejected (or going over 90 degrees) with OTSR. Therefore TTD having lap bars is irrelevant as it doesn't go over 90 degrees or have airtime! Sheesh! :p

That's why I dislike the over 90 degrees, they all have uncomfortable (for me) restraints.

Dive machine airtime is still the best. Several seconds of that odd force rather than half a second of ejector - has to be lots of win.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Ormerod said:
Also the sheer size of B&M Dive Machine track looks far more powerful and dominating compared to a pansy Eurofighter.

Amen to that, couldn't agree more. Always felt much more aprehensive about Oblivion than either of the Eurofighters I've ridden.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
TTD and KK aren't 90 are they? I just answered a question on yahoo answers saying they weren't. I was being pedantic so I'll look like a complete nincompoop if they are 90...

And are we forgetting something here? The track as you all said is better, but also, speciafically to oblivion, which most of us are basing our decision on...

Saw has a few non-head chopper saws as its theming. Oblivion has intense build up, a hanging brake, and a massive black hole into hell itself. See my point? The theming plas a big role.

I find ejector and floater good in different ways. Floater is better for oblivion, but ejector feels better for saw... I dunno...

Incidentally, is the hole on oblivion the deepest underground coaster track in the world? Just out of interest...

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Of course they're 90... feel free to read:

http://rcdb.com/id1896.htm

Make sure you do your research with stuff like that!

And they're both fun, although I prefer the beyond verticals ejector stuff. It's just a lot of fun and sort of crazy. Not to say the straight vertical isn't good.. I just like beyond more.

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
This was a very tricky topic I think.
Maybe the fact that you dont know what is inside Oblivion's hole and its such a big car that makes it more scary than a beyond vertical drop because on a Eurofighter you dont know if it would be as scary as Blivvy.
I dont find Eurofighters scary, I find them a strange feeling ride. As I havent yet been on Blivvy, I cant say.

I will keep you informed I am riding it soon.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
I'm gonna have to go with over-vertical simply because of Maverick; its beyond-vertical drop is IMHO the best part of the ride. It's a very neat sensation. I wasn't the world's hugest fan of the DMs I've been on. Then again, I really don't think Maverick is as great as some people do, either.

That said, I dunno if you could make a ride out of just a beyond-vertical drop, while Oblivion definitely is a solid ride it its own right.

Speaking of DMs, CP6, consider this a formal statement of dissatisfaction regarding the pictures you've chosen to adorn your posts.

eddy1282

Roller Poster
my favurite beyond vertical drop coasters are
1.typhoon at bobbiejaanland
2.speed oakwood
3.saw thorpe park
4.maverick
124218168545d1ed7f776e7.jpg
thats typhoon

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
I have now ridden Oblivion and I found it way more intense and scary than any eurofighters I have been on. So i think Oblivion is more intense

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ bump =D

My opinion...Oblivion still has the most intense drop I've ridden, and that has nothing to do with the theme, it's a powerful drop!

Eurofighters are fun, but they don't make me loose my breath.

Good old B&M knows how to do it... Also I don't think talking about TTD is relevant really, accelerators aren't "drop coasters", yes it goes vertical, but you don't really notice it. I've ridden Stealth which has a similar size drop to Oblivion, and I berly noticed it at all. Dive machines, eurofighters and the Intamin one are what it's about.

All-in-all, I don't give a sheep about the angle.

Aaron

Hyper Poster
I think it makes a difference how the drop is taken...

Having been on Saw (my only ever eurofighter... so shoot me) I found the drop to be very exciting, but I didn't really think the beyond vertical aspect added anything for me, it was just a normal drop... I still like it, but it's nothing special, but I think it's because the car just goes straight over the crest and down the drop.

Oblivion's method of holding you before the drop is in my eyes a much better experience, that feeling is incredible, and if I had to explain it I would have to say that it's because you start off stationary and suddenly accelerate over the drop rather than dropping from a moving start... (that doesn't really make sense I know but meh)

Sheikra is a great way to compare these methods, since one of the drops stops at the top and the other one doesn't. They are (I believe) the same angle, but I actually prefer the first one, because of the stop.

marc

CF Legend
The best drop I have been on its EGF and that is not vertical or anything like that. The track just goes from infront of you no matter where you sit on the train.

Vertical and beyond vertical makes very little difference in my view, just like floorless coasters it adds nothing to the coaster. If people did not tell you what it was you would not even know.

The only time most people would notice beyond vertical would be at an angle of 100 and it lasted for more than a split second.

I might be talking complete crap but its just my view.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The problem I have is that a beyond vertical drop just feels like an element.

It's like a hang time, or mild ejector - followed by a bit of high G on the pull up. It's a feeling you feel a lot on a lot of coasters.

As Bob_3 says, the vertical on the rocket coasters off the drop hats again are just like a fast drop, especially with the twist that makes then feel like a downhill section.

The difference with the Dive Machines is the kind of force of the drop, and the odd feeling of floater and acceleration forces you get off them. It's something I believe is unique to a Dive Machine. The roaring, floating, accelerating drop just doesn't appear anywhere else in my experience.

My analogy?

Beyond vertical drops are like dogs. They're fun to have around, lots of people have them and love them. There's nothnig wrong with them and they give a regular kind of happy pet experience.

Dive Machines are more like having a pet elephant. They're friendly, good natured, great to have around. However you never know when it's going to sit on you and kill you and not everyone wants to have something quite so unusual as a pet and prefer their fun time dog.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
I've only been on two vertical drops, Ka and Dragster, and one beyond vertical, Maverick, so perhaps I'm not in the best position to answer this, but I still prefer things like Maverick's drop. I loved the ejector airtime that I got on that drop. Sure, Mavvy's OTSRs aren't very pleasant, but that doesn't make it less of a fun drop.

ryan462

Hyper Poster
I have been on Rage, Saw and Fluch that are all beyond vertical and I don't really think that its that great. Oblivions drop is much and more fun and intense than all 3 of them!
Infact, I prefer the drops on Goliath, Colosos and Dragon Kahn's drop and none of them are vertical but are much better:)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm split on this one tbh.
I guess it depends on which kind of beyond vertical drop we're talking about. If it's long beyond vertical drops like on Maverick & Fahrenheit, then I prefer them. If it's the short ones like Steel Hawg, Mystery Mine or Fluch von Novgorod, then I prefer Griffon's or ShreiKra's instead. I only mention these specific coasters because they are the ones I've ridden that fit this topic.
I love Maverick's & Fahrenheit's drops because you feel like you're going to fall right out of the car, so the OTSRs don't bother me so much. With the Eurofighters & El Locos you aren't beyond vertical long enough to ever get that fall-right-out-of-the-car feeling.
Of course there might be more to the drops than length. On Maverick you zoom up & over the lift hill, which adds to the sensation and on Fahrenheit it's the slow crawl up the tall 90 degree lift hill & over the top hat that gives it that something extra.
I also agree with Az in that the first drop on Griffon & ShreiKra, where you are held over the edge for a few seconds, is much better than the second one.
I also agree with Marc in that EFG has one of the best drops ever. The only problem is that the drop is all that it has to offer.
Like Maverick & Fahrenheit, the Eurofighters & El Locos offer much more than the beyond vertical drop. It's too bad that the drop is what is played up.

RCF

Strata Poster
This is a tough one. I've only rode 2 verticals, and one beyond vertical. I love the feeling on beyond verticals though because it gives you that weird sensation that you're gonna fall out. However vertical at +200 is so much better than 105 ft. beyond vertical. This was tough to decide though.

A

Anonymous

I've only been on one eurofighter (Mystery Mine at Dollywood) and the drop is a very odd experience. I do enjoy these "more than" vertical drops because it puts a lot of pressure on your body and it gives you a great feeling. However, the overall ride experience is not great, and Mystery Mine did not live up to my expectations. The drop is the only decent part of the ride, the rest is a major let down. Of course it's a gimmick, but that's what the company was striving for, just because it's a new concept and never been done before, so it gets that ride a lot of attention. For me the drop on Mystery Mine was a 4.5/5. The overall ride though: 2/5