What's new

Beyond a drop

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
That's the thing off RCT3...

According to that description on the TPR video it said it travelled the German fairs and is now gone... So I guess generally because it wasn't permanent or more likely not even known about by the other manufacturers/parks/etc they can say it...

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, plus, it's "controlled" and not "free-fall", so they can say "World's steepest freefall drop". And then forget the "freefall" bit.

Ben

CF Legend
To be Devil's Advocate, I'd say that the actual steep part of the El Locos isn't trimmed, but the crest is. On the others, the trim is on the actual steep part.

It's VERY flimsy, and I don't think it stands, but, I think that's their angle tbh.

Gazza

Giga Poster
According to that description on the TPR video it said it travelled the German fairs and is now gone...
It's actually on the Australian fair circuit now. It first appeared at the Sydney Royal Easter Show, but managed to stop on the lift and people had to be rescued.

Personally, I think if a coaster has any sort of trim on the drop, then its not a true drop. I reckon therefore it should still be SAW (or whatever the last 'steepest' Eurofighter to be built was)

Martyn B

CF Legend
SC, ultimately it boils down to the Manufacturer/and or park. If they're not fussed about it, then another park with another ride can claim it.

For example, Jubilee Odyssey is the tallest Inverted coaster in the UK, yet Fantasy Island couldn't care less, thus why BPB can claim that Infusion is the tallest Inverted coaster in the UK, and get away with it, becuase the people who do hold the record, dont care.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
At some point, surely it becomes classed as an inversion rather than a "steep drop"?

Maybe that's the real distinction?

jokerman

Giga Poster
^Especially there are a number of so called "inversions" on rides that don't truly invert. It works the other way round as well.

El Patricko

Roller Poster
Wow i look at afterburner and i wouldn't normally post but,.. What an absolute criminal waste of potential energy :evil:

I personally class an "inversion" as when you upside is below your down side, even by a small margin. (by my logic oblivion has 1 inversion :)) But the official defenition is more like 120/130*.

I would still count those two examples though as they are, at one point in the curcit "dropping" at record breaking steepness.

nadroJ

CF Legend
That's some world class grammar you've got going on there El Patricko ;]

I think it's down to the fact that parks just lie. I swear BPB still claim The Big One is the tallest in Europe?