What's new

Best New Thing of 2015

mouse

Giga Poster
Simple topic, in your opinion what has been the best new ride or development of 2015?

As far as rides go, Wicked Cyclone seems to have had one of the biggest impacts. Looks like a brilliant coaster with great airtime etc...

Dreamland, and in particular Screamland, is one of the best overall developments in my opinion. Despite the late opening of the scenic Dreamland has made quite a positive impact, particularly with its very successful Halloween event.

As you can tell, I don't have much of a strong opinion on this due to a lack of knowledge and ability to articulate myself... so hopefully this topic will be full of interesting opinions from others :p.

(I feel like there may already be a topic on this? If so, apologies to the CF gods)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I don't know if that's really considered a "new thing", but definitely some of the best news of the year.
I wouldn't really consider Wicked Cyclone to be a "new thing" either as RMC has done similar coasters over the past couple of years. So for me the best new thing coaster-wise has got to be Gravity Group's wooden shuttle coasters. Sure GCI came up with the idea a few years ago, but GG made it happen this year with ZDT's Switchback.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xuXT4DwMq4[/youtube]

As far as new ride technology, I want to see just how Triotech's 'hand motion' works out in the Legoland Ninjago 3D "shooters" that are scheduled to open next year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzQIS5gbcU[/youtube]

Triotech demo'd a new shooter technology at last year's IAAPA Attractions Expo (that I can't discuss), but so far no one has purchased it. So I'm glad that I'll actually get the chance to see this year's new idea in a full blown attraction, especially after seeing what they've done over the past couple of years (Wonder Mountain's Guardian and Voyage to the Iron Reef).

Finally there's Extreme Engineering's Cloud Coaster. I didn't really like the demo they had setup at the IAAPA Attractions Expo, but they're not the only company doing this type of thing, so it will be interesting to see how these pan out and if they'll catch on - especially since Zip Lines are so popular.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Aq1AaKlr0[/youtube]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
From what I've personally experienced, it's the new batch of woodies from M&V/Gravity Group. Cú Chulainn was very good, and the batch of Fantawild rides (4 this year - at least 2 next year) are even better.

They're really pushing what can be done with a "traditional" woodie, creating airtime-filled rides with unique elements. They've also managed to get an inversion on a traditional woodie right finally.

Ben

CF Legend
^There's some in China that were built this year (can't remember where or what at the moment and I'm just on the loo at work so I'm not looking) which will be more what he's alluding to I believe.

I'd agree with Gavin on this and say the new GG woodies this year really have been fantastic.

RMC had a good year still but no 'ground up' rides from them in 2015 made me a bit sad. The reworks are amazing, but from scratch is just even better.

Shout out to Fury 325 as well, best B&M in a long, long time. Well, since Shambhala...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^ Two coasters with corkscrews, both called Jungle Trailblazer and both at parks called Oriental Heritage, one in Jinan and one in Wuhu, opened this year. There's a third coming next year at a park in Ningbo. In total that will make six Jungle Trailblazers, but only three have inversions.

The one in Jinan:

SAM_0301_zpsv1ow1ygo.jpg

SAM_0330_zpslledfu42.jpg

SAM_0401_zpsp83nkoba.jpg

It's packed full of airtime and the inversion is really smooth - well, for now anyway - which goes against what most people say about Hades 360, hence the "finally getting it right" comment.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3BuGOFL7BY[/youtube]

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Two of the best new things for me in 2015 were Cu Chullain (and Tayto Park in general) and the fireworks at Alton Towers. Both exceeded my expectations.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ben said:
Shout out to Fury 325 as well, best B&M in a long, long time. Well, since Shambhala...
This was by far my "Best New Thing" for 2015. Such an outstanding giga - and talk about a boom for Carowinds.